Diabetic amyotrophy and idiopathic lumbosacral radiculoplexus neuropathy
- Paul T Twydell, DO
Paul T Twydell, DO
- Associate Professor
- Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
Lumbosacral plexopathies represent a distinct group of disorders of the peripheral nervous system due in part to their anatomic location, rarity, and wide array of etiologies (table 1). The most common causes of lumbosacral plexopathy are diabetic amyotrophy and the clinically similar condition of idiopathic (nondiabetic) lumbosacral radiculoplexus neuropathy.
This topic will review diabetic amyotrophy and idiopathic lumbosacral radiculoplexus neuropathy. Other conditions affecting the lumbosacral plexus are discussed separately. (See "Lumbosacral plexus syndromes".)
The types of neuropathy associated with diabetes are reviewed elsewhere. (See "Epidemiology and classification of diabetic neuropathy".)
Diabetic amyotrophy  is also known as Bruns-Garland syndrome [1-3], diabetic myelopathy , proximal diabetic neuropathy , diabetic polyradiculopathy , diabetic motor neuropathy , diabetic radiculoplexopathy , diabetic lumbosacral plexopathy , and diabetic lumbosacral radiculoplexus neuropathy .
Diabetic amyotrophy is not a pure lumbosacral plexopathy because it also affects the lumbosacral nerve roots and peripheral nerves [10,11]. The extensive list of monikers for this condition reflects the debate regarding its neuroanatomic localization .
- GARLAND H. Diabetic amyotrophy. Br Med J 1955; 2:1287.
- Bruns, L. Ueber neuritsche Lahmungen beim diabetes mellitus. Berlin Klin Wochenschr 1890; 27:509.
- Barohn RJ, Sahenk Z, Warmolts JR, Mendell JR. The Bruns-Garland syndrome (diabetic amyotrophy). Revisited 100 years later. Arch Neurol 1991; 48:1130.
- GARLAND H, TAVERNER D. Diabetic myelopathy. Br Med J 1953; 1:1405.
- Williams IR, Mayer RF. Subacute proximal diabetic neuropathy. Neurology 1976; 26:108.
- Bastron JA, Thomas JE. Diabetic polyradiculopathy: clinical and electromyographic findings in 105 patients. Mayo Clin Proc 1981; 56:725.
- Thomas PK. Clinical features and investigation of diabetic somatic peripheral neuropathy. Clin Neurosci 1997; 4:341.
- Katz JS, Saperstein DS, Wolfe G, et al. Cervicobrachial involvement in diabetic radiculoplexopathy. Muscle Nerve 2001; 24:794.
- Zochodne DW, Isaac D, Jones C. Failure of immunotherapy to prevent, arrest or reverse diabetic lumbosacral plexopathy. Acta Neurol Scand 2003; 107:299.
- Dyck PJ, Norell JE, Dyck PJ. Microvasculitis and ischemia in diabetic lumbosacral radiculoplexus neuropathy. Neurology 1999; 53:2113.
- Dyck PJ, Windebank AJ. Diabetic and nondiabetic lumbosacral radiculoplexus neuropathies: new insights into pathophysiology and treatment. Muscle Nerve 2002; 25:477.
- Said G, Goulon-Goeau C, Lacroix C, Moulonguet A. Nerve biopsy findings in different patterns of proximal diabetic neuropathy. Ann Neurol 1994; 35:559.
- Llewelyn JG, Thomas PK, King RH. Epineurial microvasculitis in proximal diabetic neuropathy. J Neurol 1998; 245:159.
- Kelkar P, Masood M, Parry GJ. Distinctive pathologic findings in proximal diabetic neuropathy (diabetic amyotrophy). Neurology 2000; 55:83.
- Laughlin RS, Dyck PJ. Diabetic radiculoplexus neuropathies. Handb Clin Neurol 2014; 126:45.
- Dyck PJ, Norell JE, Dyck PJ. Non-diabetic lumbosacral radiculoplexus neuropathy: natural history, outcome and comparison with the diabetic variety. Brain 2001; 124:1197.
- Pascoe MK, Low PA, Windebank AJ, Litchy WJ. Subacute diabetic proximal neuropathy. Mayo Clin Proc 1997; 72:1123.
- Massie R, Mauermann ML, Staff NP, et al. Diabetic cervical radiculoplexus neuropathy: a distinct syndrome expanding the spectrum of diabetic radiculoplexus neuropathies. Brain 2012; 135:3074.
- Sander JE, Sharp FR. Lumbosacral plexus neuritis. Neurology 1981; 31:470.
- Evans BA, Stevens JC, Dyck PJ. Lumbosacral plexus neuropathy. Neurology 1981; 31:1327.
- Ishii K, Tamaoka A, Shoji S. MRI of idiopathic lumbosacral plexopathy. Neurology 2004; 63:E6.
- Cianfoni A, Luigetti M, Madia F, et al. Teaching NeuroImage: MRI of diabetic lumbar plexopathy treated with local steroid injection. Neurology 2009; 72:e32.
- Delaney H, Bencardino J, Rosenberg ZS. Magnetic resonance neurography of the pelvis and lumbosacral plexus. Neuroimaging Clin N Am 2014; 24:127.
- Taylor BV, Dunne JW. Diabetic amyotrophy progressing to severe quadriparesis. Muscle Nerve 2004; 30:505.
- Hinchey JA, Preston DC, Logigian EL. Idiopathic lumbosacral neuropathy: a cause of persistent leg pain. Muscle Nerve 1996; 19:1484.
- Yee T. Recurrent idiopathic lumbosacral plexopathy. Muscle Nerve 2000; 23:1439.
- Awerbuch GI, Nigro MA, Sandyk R, Levin JR. Relapsing lumbosacral plexus neuropathy. Report of two cases. Eur Neurol 1991; 31:348.
- Krendel DA, Costigan DA, Hopkins LC. Successful treatment of neuropathies in patients with diabetes mellitus. Arch Neurol 1995; 52:1053.
- Tamburin S, Magrinelli F, Favaro F, et al. Long-term response of neuropathic pain to intravenous immunoglobulin in relapsing diabetic lumbosacral radiculoplexus neuropathy. A case report. Pain Pract 2014; 14:E85.
- Chan YC, Lo YL, Chan ES. Immunotherapy for diabetic amyotrophy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017; 7:CD006521.
- Dyck PJ, O'Brien P, Bosch EP, et al. The multi-centre double-blind controlled trial of IV methylprednisolone in diabetic lumbosacral radiculoplexus neuropathy. Neurology 2006; 66 Suppl 2:A191.
- Bradley WG, Chad D, Verghese JP, et al. Painful lumbosacral plexopathy with elevated erythrocyte sedimentation rate: a treatable inflammatory syndrome. Ann Neurol 1984; 15:457.
- Verma A, Bradley WG. High-dose intravenous immunoglobulin therapy in chronic progressive lumbosacral plexopathy. Neurology 1994; 44:248.
- Triggs WJ, Young MS, Eskin T, Valenstein E. Treatment of idiopathic lumbosacral plexopathy with intravenous immunoglobulin. Muscle Nerve 1997; 20:244.
- van Eijk J, Chan YC, Russell JW. Immunotherapy for idiopathic lumbosacral plexopathy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013; :CD009722.