Coronary artery bypass graft surgery: Long-term clinical outcomes
- Sary Aranki, MD
Sary Aranki, MD
- Associate Professor of Surgery
- Harvard Medical School
- Julian M Aroesty, MD
Julian M Aroesty, MD
- Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Section Editors
- Gabriel S Aldea, MD
Gabriel S Aldea, MD
- Section Editor — Cardiac Surgery
- Professor of Surgery
- University of Washington
- Edward Verrier, MD
Edward Verrier, MD
- Section Editor — Cardiac Surgery
- Professor of Surgery
- University of Washington School of Medicine
- Bernard J Gersh, MB, ChB, DPhil, FRCP, MACC
Bernard J Gersh, MB, ChB, DPhil, FRCP, MACC
- Editor-in-Chief — Cardiovascular Medicine
- Section Editor — Coronary Heart Disease; Myopericardial Disease
- Professor of Medicine
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
Coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG) is recommended for patients with obstructive coronary artery disease whose survival will be improved compared to medical therapy or percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI). In addition, other patients with angina refractory to medical therapy may receive a recommendation for CABG if PCI cannot be performed. The procedure involves the construction of one or more grafts between the arterial and coronary circulations.
This topic addresses issues related to late survival following CABG. The following issues are discussed separately:
●Operative mortality (see "Operative mortality after coronary artery bypass graft surgery")
●Early noncardiac complications (see "Early noncardiac complications of coronary artery bypass graft surgery")
●Medical therapy to prevent complications (see "Medical therapy to prevent complications after coronary artery bypass graft surgery")
- Goldman S, Zadina K, Moritz T, et al. Long-term patency of saphenous vein and left internal mammary artery grafts after coronary artery bypass surgery: results from a Department of Veterans Affairs Cooperative Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004; 44:2149.
- Shahian DM, O'Brien SM, Sheng S, et al. Predictors of long-term survival after coronary artery bypass grafting surgery: results from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Adult Cardiac Surgery Database (the ASCERT study). Circulation 2012; 125:1491.
- Wu C, Camacho FT, Wechsler AS, et al. Risk score for predicting long-term mortality after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Circulation 2012; 125:2423.
- Loop FD, Lytle BW, Cosgrove DM, et al. Influence of the internal-mammary-artery graft on 10-year survival and other cardiac events. N Engl J Med 1986; 314:1.
- Cameron A, Davis KB, Green G, Schaff HV. Coronary bypass surgery with internal-thoracic-artery grafts--effects on survival over a 15-year period. N Engl J Med 1996; 334:216.
- Cameron AA, Green GE, Brogno DA, Thornton J. Internal thoracic artery grafts: 20-year clinical follow-up. J Am Coll Cardiol 1995; 25:188.
- Lytle BW, Blackstone EH, Sabik JF, et al. The effect of bilateral internal thoracic artery grafting on survival during 20 postoperative years. Ann Thorac Surg 2004; 78:2005.
- Zacharias A, Habib RH, Schwann TA, et al. Improved survival with radial artery versus vein conduits in coronary bypass surgery with left internal thoracic artery to left anterior descending artery grafting. Circulation 2004; 109:1489.
- Taggart DP, D'Amico R, Altman DG. Effect of arterial revascularisation on survival: a systematic review of studies comparing bilateral and single internal mammary arteries. Lancet 2001; 358:870.
- Locker C, Schaff HV, Dearani JA, et al. Multiple arterial grafts improve late survival of patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery: analysis of 8622 patients with multivessel disease. Circulation 2012; 126:1023.
- Endo M, Nishida H, Tomizawa Y, Kasanuki H. Benefit of bilateral over single internal mammary artery grafts for multiple coronary artery bypass grafting. Circulation 2001; 104:2164.
- Taggart DP, Altman DG, Gray AM, et al. Randomized trial to compare bilateral vs. single internal mammary coronary artery bypass grafting: 1-year results of the Arterial Revascularisation Trial (ART). Eur Heart J 2010; 31:2470.
- Yi G, Shine B, Rehman SM, et al. Effect of bilateral internal mammary artery grafts on long-term survival: a meta-analysis approach. Circulation 2014; 130:539.
- Muneretto C, Negri A, Manfredi J, et al. Safety and usefulness of composite grafts for total arterial myocardial revascularization: a prospective randomized evaluation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003; 125:826.
- Ruttmann E, Fischler N, Sakic A, et al. Second internal thoracic artery versus radial artery in coronary artery bypass grafting: a long-term, propensity score-matched follow-up study. Circulation 2011; 124:1321.
- Tatoulis J, Buxton BF, Fuller JA, Royse AG. Total arterial coronary revascularization: techniques and results in 3,220 patients. Ann Thorac Surg 1999; 68:2093.
- Manasse E, Sperti G, Suma H, et al. Use of the radial artery for myocardial revascularization. Ann Thorac Surg 1996; 62:1076.
- Acar C, Ramsheyi A, Pagny JY, et al. The radial artery for coronary artery bypass grafting: clinical and angiographic results at five years. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1998; 116:981.
- Dumanian GA, Segalman K, Mispireta LA, et al. Radial artery use in bypass grafting does not change digital blood flow or hand function. Ann Thorac Surg 1998; 65:1284.
- Anyanwu AC, Saeed I, Bustami M, et al. Does routine use of the radial artery increase complexity or morbidity of coronary bypass surgery? Ann Thorac Surg 2001; 71:555.
- Possati G, Gaudino M, Alessandrini F, et al. Midterm clinical and angiographic results of radial artery grafts used for myocardial revascularization. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1998; 116:1015.
- Tatoulis J, Royse AG, Buxton BF, et al. The radial artery in coronary surgery: a 5-year experience--clinical and angiographic results. Ann Thorac Surg 2002; 73:143.
- Acar C, Jebara VA, Portoghèse M, et al. Comparative anatomy and histology of the radial artery and the internal thoracic artery. Implication for coronary artery bypass. Surg Radiol Anat 1991; 13:283.
- He GW, Yang CQ. Comparative study on calcium channel antagonists in the human radial artery: clinical implications. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2000; 119:94.
- Bell MR, Gersh BJ, Schaff HV, et al. Effect of completeness of revascularization on long-term outcome of patients with three-vessel disease undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery. A report from the Coronary Artery Surgery Study (CASS) Registry. Circulation 1992; 86:446.
- Jones EL, Weintraub WS. The importance of completeness of revascularization during long-term follow-up after coronary artery operations. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1996; 112:227.
- Scott R, Blackstone EH, McCarthy PM, et al. Isolated bypass grafting of the left internal thoracic artery to the left anterior descending coronary artery: late consequences of incomplete revascularization. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2000; 120:173.
- Vander Salm TJ, Kip KE, Jones RH, et al. What constitutes optimal surgical revascularization? Answers from the Bypass Angioplasty Revascularization Investigation (BARI). J Am Coll Cardiol 2002; 39:565.
- Serruys PW, Ong AT, van Herwerden LA, et al. Five-year outcomes after coronary stenting versus bypass surgery for the treatment of multivessel disease: the final analysis of the Arterial Revascularization Therapies Study (ARTS) randomized trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 46:575.
- van den Brand MJ, Rensing BJ, Morel MA, et al. The effect of completeness of revascularization on event-free survival at one year in the ARTS trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002; 39:559.
- Kim YH, Park DW, Lee JY, et al. Impact of angiographic complete revascularization after drug-eluting stent implantation or coronary artery bypass graft surgery for multivessel coronary artery disease. Circulation 2011; 123:2373.
- Lopes RD, Mehta RH, Hafley GE, et al. Relationship between vein graft failure and subsequent clinical outcomes after coronary artery bypass surgery. Circulation 2012; 125:749.
- Lopes RD, Hafley GE, Allen KB, et al. Endoscopic versus open vein-graft harvesting in coronary-artery bypass surgery. N Engl J Med 2009; 361:235.
- Dacey LJ, Braxton JH Jr, Kramer RS, et al. Long-term outcomes of endoscopic vein harvesting after coronary artery bypass grafting. Circulation 2011; 123:147.
- Zenati MA, Shroyer AL, Collins JF, et al. Impact of endoscopic versus open saphenous vein harvest technique on late coronary artery bypass grafting patient outcomes in the ROOBY (Randomized On/Off Bypass) Trial. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011; 141:338.
- Williams JB, Peterson ED, Brennan JM, et al. Association between endoscopic vs open vein-graft harvesting and mortality, wound complications, and cardiovascular events in patients undergoing CABG surgery. JAMA 2012; 308:475.
- Klatte K, Chaitman BR, Theroux P, et al. Increased mortality after coronary artery bypass graft surgery is associated with increased levels of postoperative creatine kinase-myocardial band isoenzyme release: results from the GUARDIAN trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001; 38:1070.
- Costa MA, Carere RG, Lichtenstein SV, et al. Incidence, predictors, and significance of abnormal cardiac enzyme rise in patients treated with bypass surgery in the arterial revascularization therapies study (ARTS). Circulation 2001; 104:2689.
- Chertow GM, Lazarus JM, Christiansen CL, et al. Preoperative renal risk stratification. Circulation 1997; 95:878.
- Karkouti K, Wijeysundera DN, Yau TM, et al. Acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery: focus on modifiable risk factors. Circulation 2009; 119:495.
- Thakar CV, Worley S, Arrigain S, et al. Influence of renal dysfunction on mortality after cardiac surgery: modifying effect of preoperative renal function. Kidney Int 2005; 67:1112.
- Ishani A, Nelson D, Clothier B, et al. The magnitude of acute serum creatinine increase after cardiac surgery and the risk of chronic kidney disease, progression of kidney disease, and death. Arch Intern Med 2011; 171:226.
- Rydén L, Sartipy U, Evans M, Holzmann MJ. Acute kidney injury after coronary artery bypass grafting and long-term risk of end-stage renal disease. Circulation 2014; 130:2005.
- Hillis GS, Croal BL, Buchan KG, et al. Renal function and outcome from coronary artery bypass grafting: impact on mortality after a 2.3-year follow-up. Circulation 2006; 113:1056.
- Mehta RH, Hafley GE, Gibson CM, et al. Influence of preoperative renal dysfunction on one-year bypass graft patency and two-year outcomes in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2008; 136:1149.
- Myers WO, Blackstone EH, Davis K, et al. CASS Registry long term surgical survival. Coronary Artery Surgery Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 1999; 33:488.
- DeBakey ME, Glaeser DH. Patterns of atherosclerosis: effect of risk factors on recurrence and survival-analysis of 11,890 cases with more than 25-year follow-up. Am J Cardiol 2000; 85:1045.
- Sprecher DL, Pearce GL. How deadly is the "deadly quartet"? A post-CABG evaluation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 36:1159.
- Weintraub WS, Clements SD Jr, Crisco LV, et al. Twenty-year survival after coronary artery surgery: an institutional perspective from Emory University. Circulation 2003; 107:1271.
- van Straten AH, Hamad MA, van Zundert AJ, et al. Preoperative hemoglobin level as a predictor of survival after coronary artery bypass grafting: a comparison with the matched general population. Circulation 2009; 120:118.
- Goyal A, Alexander JH, Hafley GE, et al. Outcomes associated with the use of secondary prevention medications after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2007; 83:993.
- Mangano DT, Multicenter Study of Perioperative Ischemia Research Group. Aspirin and mortality from coronary bypass surgery. N Engl J Med 2002; 347:1309.
- Vandvik PO, Lincoff AM, Gore JM, et al. Primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest 2012; 141:e637S.
- Heart Protection Study Collaborative Group. MRC/BHF Heart Protection Study of cholesterol lowering with simvastatin in 20,536 high-risk individuals: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2002; 360:7.
- Dotani MI, Elnicki DM, Jain AC, Gibson CM. Effect of preoperative statin therapy and cardiac outcomes after coronary artery bypass grafting. Am J Cardiol 2000; 86:1128.
- Shah SJ, Waters DD, Barter P, et al. Intensive lipid-lowering with atorvastatin for secondary prevention in patients after coronary artery bypass surgery. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51:1938.
- Post Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Trial Investigators. The effect of aggressive lowering of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and low-dose anticoagulation on obstructive changes in saphenous-vein coronary-artery bypass grafts. N Engl J Med 1997; 336:153.
- Campeau L, Hunninghake DB, Knatterud GL, et al. Aggressive cholesterol lowering delays saphenous vein graft atherosclerosis in women, the elderly, and patients with associated risk factors. NHLBI post coronary artery bypass graft clinical trial. Post CABG Trial Investigators. Circulation 1999; 99:3241.
- Knatterud GL, Rosenberg Y, Campeau L, et al. Long-term effects on clinical outcomes of aggressive lowering of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and low-dose anticoagulation in the post coronary artery bypass graft trial. Post CABG Investigators. Circulation 2000; 102:157.
- Effect of metoprolol on death and cardiac events during a 2-year period after coronary artery bypass grafting. The MACB Study Group. Eur Heart J 1995; 16:1825.
- Sjöland H, Caidahl K, Lurje L, et al. Metoprolol treatment for two years after coronary bypass grafting: effects on exercise capacity and signs of myocardial ischaemia. Br Heart J 1995; 74:235.
- Zhang H, Yuan X, Zhang H, et al. Efficacy of Long-Term β-Blocker Therapy for Secondary Prevention of Long-Term Outcomes After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Surgery. Circulation 2015; 131:2194.
- Kjøller-Hansen L, Steffensen R, Grande P. The Angiotensin-converting Enzyme Inhibition Post Revascularization Study (APRES). J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 35:881.
- Oosterga M, Voors AA, Pinto YM, et al. Effects of quinapril on clinical outcome after coronary artery bypass grafting (The QUO VADIS Study). QUinapril on Vascular Ace and Determinants of Ischemia. Am J Cardiol 2001; 87:542.
- Rouleau JL, Warnica WJ, Baillot R, et al. Effects of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition in low-risk patients early after coronary artery bypass surgery. Circulation 2008; 117:24.
- SURVIVAL RATES
- PREDICTORS OF MORTALITY
- Use of the left internal thoracic artery
- Multiple arterial grafts
- - Radial artery graft
- Incomplete revascularization
- Vein graft failure
- Endoscopic vein-graft harvesting
- Perioperative MI
- Acute kidney injury
- Chronic kidney disease
- Cardiovascular risk factors
- Atrial fibrillation
- Preoperative hemoglobin level
- LONG-TERM RISK PREDICTION MODELS
- PREVENTIVE THERAPIES
- Antiplatelet agents
- Lipid lowering
- Beta blockers
- ACE inhibitors
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS