Complications of spinal cord irradiation
- Kevin Oh, MD
Kevin Oh, MD
- Assistant Professor of Radiation Oncology
- Harvard Medical School
- Attending Radiation Oncologist
- Massachusetts General Hospital
Radiation therapy can cause toxicity to either the central or peripheral nervous system when these structures are included in the treatment field. Nervous system toxicity is usually subdivided into acute (during the course of radiation), early delayed (weeks to three months after radiation), and delayed reaction (more than three months).
Several syndromes of radiation injury to the spinal cord have been described, the most prominent of which are a self-limited transient myelopathy and the more serious chronic progressive myelopathy. Other more disabling manifestations of radiation injury, including acute paralysis secondary to ischemia, hemorrhage within the spinal cord, and a lower motor neuron syndrome, are much less common, with only a few case reports in the literature [1,2].
The complications that can occur following irradiation of the spinal cord will be reviewed here. Other relevant topics include:
●Complications of irradiation of peripheral nerves (see "Brachial plexus syndromes", section on 'Neoplastic and radiation-induced brachial plexopathy' and "Lumbosacral plexus syndromes", section on 'Radiation plexopathy')To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Rock JP, Ryu S, Yin FF, et al. The evolving role of stereotactic radiosurgery and stereotactic radiation therapy for patients with spine tumors. J Neurooncol 2004; 69:319.
- Allen JC, Miller DC, Budzilovich GN, Epstein FJ. Brain and spinal cord hemorrhage in long-term survivors of malignant pediatric brain tumors: a possible late effect of therapy. Neurology 1991; 41:148.
- Tefft M, Mitus A, Schulz MD. Initial high dose irradiation for metastases causing spinal cord compression in children. Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med 1969; 106:385.
- Esik O, Csere T, Stefanits K, et al. Increased metabolic activity in the spinal cord of patients with long-standing Lhermitte's sign. Strahlenther Onkol 2003; 179:690.
- Fein DA, Marcus RB Jr, Parsons JT, et al. Lhermitte's sign: incidence and treatment variables influencing risk after irradiation of the cervical spinal cord. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1993; 27:1029.
- Word JA, Kalokhe UP, Aron BS, Elson HR. Transient radiation myelopathy (Lhermitte's sign) in patients with Hodgkin's disease treated by mantle irradiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1980; 6:1731.
- Leung WM, Tsang NM, Chang FT, Lo CJ. Lhermitte's sign among nasopharyngeal cancer patients after radiotherapy. Head Neck 2005; 27:187.
- Schultheiss TE, Kun LE, Ang KK, Stephens LC. Radiation response of the central nervous system. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1995; 31:1093.
- Okada S, Okeda R. Pathology of radiation myelopathy. Neuropathology 2001; 21:247.
- Schultheiss TE, Stephens LC, Maor MH. Analysis of the histopathology of radiation myelopathy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1988; 14:27.
- Nieder C, Ataman F, Price RE, Ang KK. Radiation myelopathy: new perspective on an old problem. Radiat Oncol Investig 1999; 7:193.
- Nordal RA, Nagy A, Pintilie M, Wong CS. Hypoxia and hypoxia-inducible factor-1 target genes in central nervous system radiation injury: a role for vascular endothelial growth factor. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10:3342.
- Kirkpatrick JP, van der Kogel AJ, Schultheiss TE. Radiation dose-volume effects in the spinal cord. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2010; 76:S42.
- Sahgal A, Weinberg V, Ma L, et al. Probabilities of radiation myelopathy specific to stereotactic body radiation therapy to guide safe practice. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2013; 85:341.
- Sahgal A, Ma L, Gibbs I, et al. Spinal cord tolerance for stereotactic body radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2010; 77:548.
- Guckenberger M, Sweeney RA, Flickinger JC, et al. Clinical practice of image-guided spine radiosurgery--results from an international research consortium. Radiat Oncol 2011; 6:172.
- Ang KK, Jiang GL, Feng Y, et al. Extent and kinetics of recovery of occult spinal cord injury. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2001; 50:1013.
- Ang KK, Price RE, Stephens LC, et al. The tolerance of primate spinal cord to re-irradiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1993; 25:459.
- Sahgal A, Ma L, Weinberg V, et al. Reirradiation human spinal cord tolerance for stereotactic body radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2012; 82:107.
- Thibault I, Campbell M, Tseng CL, et al. Salvage Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT) Following In-Field Failure of Initial SBRT for Spinal Metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2015; 93:353.
- Wong CS, Van Dyk J, Milosevic M, Laperriere NJ. Radiation myelopathy following single courses of radiotherapy and retreatment. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1994; 30:575.
- Esik O, Emri M, Csornai M, et al. Radiation myelopathy with partial functional recovery: PET evidence of long-term increased metabolic activity of the spinal cord. J Neurol Sci 1999; 163:39.
- Lengyel Z, Rékó G, Majtényi K, et al. Autopsy verifies demyelination and lack of vascular damage in partially reversible radiation myelopathy. Spinal Cord 2003; 41:577.
- Ruckdeschel JC, Baxter DH, McKneally MF, et al. Sequential radiotherapy and adriamycin in the management of bronchogenic carcinoma: the question of additive toxicity. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1979; 5:1323.
- Bloss JD, DiSaia PJ, Mannel RS, et al. Radiation myelitis: a complication of concurrent cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil chemotherapy with extended field radiotherapy for carcinoma of the uterine cervix. Gynecol Oncol 1991; 43:305.
- Seddon BM, Cassoni AM, Galloway MJ, et al. Fatal radiation myelopathy after high-dose busulfan and melphalan chemotherapy and radiotherapy for Ewing's sarcoma: a review of the literature and implications for practice. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 2005; 17:385.
- Ruifrok AC, van der Kogel AJ. The effect of intraspinal cytosine arabinoside on the re-irradiation tolerance of the cervical spinal cord of young and adult rats. Eur J Cancer 1993; 29A:1766.
- Grégoire V, Ruifrok AC, Price RE, et al. Effect of intra-peritoneal fludarabine on rat spinal cord tolerance to fractionated irradiation. Radiother Oncol 1995; 36:50.
- Ruifrok AC, Stephens LC, van der Kogel AJ. Radiation response of the rat cervical spinal cord after irradiation at different ages: tolerance, latency and pathology. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1994; 29:73.
- Werner-Wasik M, Yu X, Marks LB, Schultheiss TE. Normal-tissue toxicities of thoracic radiation therapy: esophagus, lung, and spinal cord as organs at risk. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2004; 18:131.
- Philippens ME, Gambarota G, van der Kogel AJ, Heerschap A. Radiation effects in the rat spinal cord: evaluation with apparent diffusion coefficient versus T2 at serial MR imaging. Radiology 2009; 250:387.
- Komachi H, Tsuchiya K, Ikeda M, et al. Radiation myelopathy: a clinicopathological study with special reference to correlation between MRI findings and neuropathology. J Neurol Sci 1995; 132:228.
- Matis GK, Birbilis TA. Erythropoietin in spinal cord injury. Eur Spine J 2009; 18:314.
- Levin VA, Bidaut L, Hou P, et al. Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of bevacizumab therapy for radiation necrosis of the central nervous system. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2011; 79:1487.
- Calabrò F, Jinkins JR. MRI of radiation myelitis: a report of a case treated with hyperbaric oxygen. Eur Radiol 2000; 10:1079.
- Luk KH, Baker DG, Fellows CF. Hyperbaric oxygen after radiation and its effect on the production of radiation myelitis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1978; 4:457.
- Sminia P, van der Kleij AJ, Carl UM, et al. Prophylactic hyperbaric oxygen treatment and rat spinal cord re-irradiation. Cancer Lett 2003; 191:59.
- Glantz MJ, Burger PC, Friedman AH, et al. Treatment of radiation-induced nervous system injury with heparin and warfarin. Neurology 1994; 44:2020.
- Andratschke NH, Nieder C, Price RE, et al. Potential role of growth factors in diminishing radiation therapy neural tissue injury. Semin Oncol 2005; 32:S67.
- Peker S, Abacioglu U, Sun I, et al. Prophylactic effects of magnesium and vitamin E in rat spinal cord radiation damage: evaluation based on lipid peroxidation levels. Life Sci 2004; 75:1523.
- Esik O, Vönöczky K, Lengyel Z, et al. Characteristics of radiogenic lower motor neurone disease, a possible link with a preceding viral infection. Spinal Cord 2004; 42:99.
- Feistner H, Weissenborn K, Münte TF, et al. Post-irradiation lesions of the caudal roots. Acta Neurol Scand 1989; 80:277.
- Tallaksen CM, Jetne V, Fosså S. Postradiation lower motor neuron syndrome--a case report and brief literature review. Acta Oncol 1997; 36:345.
- Bowen J, Gregory R, Squier M, Donaghy M. The post-irradiation lower motor neuron syndrome neuronopathy or radiculopathy? Brain 1996; 119 ( Pt 5):1429.
- Jabbour P, Gault J, Murk SE, Awad IA. Multiple spinal cavernous malformations with atypical phenotype after prior irradiation: case report. Neurosurgery 2004; 55:1431.
- EARLY RADIATION-INDUCED MYELOPATHY
- LATE RADIATION-INDUCED MYELOPATHY
- Pathology and pathogenesis
- Radiation dose-volume effects and risk
- - Fractionated radiation
- - Hypofractionated radiation
- - Re-irradiation
- Clinical presentation
- Risk factors
- OTHER LATE COMPLICATIONS
- Lower motor neuron syndrome
- Spinal cord hemorrhage