Complications of hemodialysis in the older patient
- Jeffrey S Berns, MD
Jeffrey S Berns, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Nephrology
- Section Editor — Dialysis
- Professor of Medicine
- Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Older patients are subject to the same complications as all patients on maintenance hemodialysis. For a variety of reasons, many of these complications occur with increased frequency in older subjects. The most important are:
- Letteri JM. Symptomatic hypotension during hemodialysis. Semin Dial 1998; 11:253.
- Henrich WL. Hemodynamic instability during hemodialysis. Kidney Int 1986; 30:605.
- Kouw PM, Kooman JP, Cheriex EC, et al. Assessment of postdialysis dry weight: a comparison of techniques. J Am Soc Nephrol 1993; 4:98.
- Shinzato T, Miwa M, Nakai S, et al. Role of adenosine in dialysis-induced hypotension. J Am Soc Nephrol 1994; 4:1987.
- Ghent S, Judson MA, Rosansky SJ. Refractory hypotension associated with hypocalcemia and renal disease. Am J Kidney Dis 1994; 23:430.
- Barakat MM, Nawab ZM, Yu AW, et al. Hemodynamic effects of intradialytic food ingestion and the effects of caffeine. J Am Soc Nephrol 1993; 3:1813.
- Benaroia M, Iliescu EA. Oral intake during hemodialysis: is there an association with intradialytic hypotension? Hemodial Int 2008; 12:62.
- Noris M, Benigni A, Boccardo P, et al. Enhanced nitric oxide synthesis in uremia: implications for platelet dysfunction and dialysis hypotension. Kidney Int 1993; 44:445.
- Yokokawa K, Mankus R, Saklayen MG, et al. Increased nitric oxide production in patients with hypotension during hemodialysis. Ann Intern Med 1995; 123:35.
- Henrich WL. Dialysis considerations in the elderly patient. Am J Kidney Dis 1990; 16:339.
- Cléroux J, Giannattasio C, Grassi G, et al. Effects of ageing on the cardiopulmonary receptor reflex in normotensive humans. J Hypertens Suppl 1988; 6:S141.
- Lipsitz LA, Nyquist RP Jr, Wei JY, Rowe JW. Postprandial reduction in blood pressure in the elderly. N Engl J Med 1983; 309:81.
- Sherman RA, Torres F, Cody RP. Postprandial blood pressure changes during hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 1988; 12:37.
- Daugirdas JT. Dialysis hypotension: a hemodynamic analysis. Kidney Int 1991; 39:233.
- Ross C, Rutsky EA. Dialysis modality selection in the elderly patient with end-stage renal disease: Advantages and disadvantages of peritoneal dialysis. Adv Perit Dial 1990; 6:11.
- Canaud B, Tong L, Tentori F, et al. Clinical practices and outcomes in elderly hemodialysis patients: results from the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS). Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2011; 6:1651.
- Johansson L, Fouque D, Bellizzi V, et al. As we grow old: nutritional considerations for older patients on dialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2016.
- Chauveau P, Combe C, Laville M, et al. Factors influencing survival in hemodialysis patients aged older than 75 years: 2.5-year outcome study. Am J Kidney Dis 2001; 37:997.
- Hakim RM, Levin N. Malnutrition in hemodialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis 1993; 21:125.
- Chester AC, Rakowski TA, Argy WP Jr, et al. Hemodialysis in the eighth and ninth decades of life. Arch Intern Med 1979; 139:1001.
- Lipschutz DE, Easterling RE. Spontaneous perforation of the colon in chronic renal failure. Arch Intern Med 1973; 132:758.
- Porush JG, Faubert PF. Chronic renal failure. In: Renal Disease in the Aged, Porush JG, Faubert PF (Eds), Little, Brown, Boston 1991. p.285.
- Wagner J, Jhaveri KD, Rosen L, et al. Increased bone fractures among elderly United States hemodialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2014; 29:146.
- Mathew AT, Hazzan A, Jhaveri KD, et al. Increasing hip fractures in patients receiving hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Am J Nephrol 2014; 40:451.