Comorbidities and complications of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents
- Lori Laffel, MD, MPH
Lori Laffel, MD, MPH
- Professor of Pediatrics
- Harvard Medical School
- Britta Svoren, MD
Britta Svoren, MD
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
- University of Rochester Medical Center
Children and adolescents with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) are at increased risk for associated comorbidities including hypertension (with associated changes in cardiac structure), dyslipidemia, and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
Patients with T2DM, especially those with poor glycemic control, hypertension, and dyslipidemia, are also at risk for vascular complications. This has been best established in adults, but accumulating data suggest that it is also the case for children and adolescents with T2DM [1-3]. Glycemic control among adolescents with T2DM is often poor. Studies in several populations report that less than half of the adolescents with type 2 diabetes regularly attend follow-up visits . One study reported mean glycated hemoglobin concentrations of 12 percent, even among patients involved in active follow-up .
Diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar hyperglycemia are acute complications that sometimes develop in adolescent patients with T2DM [5-7]; these acute complications are discussed separately. (See "Clinical features and diagnosis of diabetic ketoacidosis in children".)
The comorbidities and complications of T2DM in children and adolescents are presented here. The epidemiology, presentation, diagnosis, and management of T2DM in children and adolescents are discussed separately. (See "Epidemiology, presentation, and diagnosis of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents" and "Management of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents".)
Children and adolescents with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) are at risk for comorbid conditions including hypertension, dyslipidemia, and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). These disorders may be present before the diagnosis of T2DM and, like T2DM itself, are associated with excessive weight. (See "Epidemiology, presentation, and diagnosis of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents".)
- Pinhas-Hamiel O, Zeitler P. Acute and chronic complications of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents. Lancet 2007; 369:1823.
- Copeland KC, Zeitler P, Geffner M, et al. Characteristics of adolescents and youth with recent-onset type 2 diabetes: the TODAY cohort at baseline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 96:159.
- TODAY Study Group, Zeitler P, Hirst K, et al. A clinical trial to maintain glycemic control in youth with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:2247.
- Dean H. NIDDM-Y in First Nation children in Canada. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 1998; 37:89.
- Kitabchi AE, Umpierrez GE, Murphy MB, et al. Management of hyperglycemic crises in patients with diabetes. Diabetes Care 2001; 24:131.
- Zeitler P, Solberg P, Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee of the Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society. Food and levothyroxine administration in infants and children. J Pediatr 2010; 157:13.
- Rewers A, Klingensmith G, Davis C, et al. Presence of diabetic ketoacidosis at diagnosis of diabetes mellitus in youth: the Search for Diabetes in Youth Study. Pediatrics 2008; 121:e1258.
- Sorof J, Daniels S. Obesity hypertension in children: a problem of epidemic proportions. Hypertension 2002; 40:441.
- Berenson GS, Srinivasan SR, Bao W, et al. Association between multiple cardiovascular risk factors and atherosclerosis in children and young adults. The Bogalusa Heart Study. N Engl J Med 1998; 338:1650.
- McGill HC Jr, McMahan CA, Zieske AW, et al. Effects of nonlipid risk factors on atherosclerosis in youth with a favorable lipoprotein profile. Circulation 2001; 103:1546.
- Pinhas-Hamiel O, Dolan LM, Daniels SR, et al. Increased incidence of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus among adolescents. J Pediatr 1996; 128:608.
- Scott CR, Smith JM, Cradock MM, Pihoker C. Characteristics of youth-onset noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus at diagnosis. Pediatrics 1997; 100:84.
- Rodriguez BL, Dabelea D, Liese AD, et al. Prevalence and correlates of elevated blood pressure in youth with diabetes mellitus: the SEARCH for diabetes in youth study. J Pediatr 2010; 157:245.
- TODAY Study Group. Rapid rise in hypertension and nephropathy in youth with type 2 diabetes: the TODAY clinical trial. Diabetes Care 2013; 36:1735.
- Alberti G, Zimmet P, Shaw J, et al. Type 2 diabetes in the young: the evolving epidemic: the international diabetes federation consensus workshop. Diabetes Care 2004; 27:1798.
- National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group on High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents. The fourth report on the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents. Pediatrics 2004; 114:555.
- American Diabetes Association. 12. Children and Adolescents. Diabetes Care 2017; 40:S105.
- Expert Panel on Integrated Guidelines for Cardiovascular Health and Risk Reduction in Children and Adolescents, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Expert panel on integrated guidelines for cardiovascular health and risk reduction in children and adolescents: summary report. Pediatrics 2011; 128 Suppl 5:S213.
- Maahs DM, Daniels SR, de Ferranti SD, et al. Cardiovascular disease risk factors in youth with diabetes mellitus: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2014; 130:1532.
- Miller K. Pharmacological management of hypertension in paediatric patients. A comprehensive review of the efficacy, safety and dosage guidelines of the available agents. Drugs 1994; 48:868.
- Type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents. American Diabetes Association. Diabetes Care 2000; 23:381.
- Kershnar AK, Daniels SR, Imperatore G, et al. Lipid abnormalities are prevalent in youth with type 1 and type 2 diabetes: the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study. J Pediatr 2006; 149:314.
- TODAY Study Group. Lipid and inflammatory cardiovascular risk worsens over 3 years in youth with type 2 diabetes: the TODAY clinical trial. Diabetes Care 2013; 36:1758.
- American Diabetes Association. Management of dyslipidemia in children and adolescents with diabetes. Diabetes Care 2003; 26:2194.
- McCrindle BW, Urbina EM, Dennison BA, et al. Drug therapy of high-risk lipid abnormalities in children and adolescents: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Atherosclerosis, Hypertension, and Obesity in Youth Committee, Council of Cardiovascular Disease in the Young, with the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing. Circulation 2007; 115:1948.
- Springer SC, Silverstein J, Copeland K, et al. Management of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents. Pediatrics 2013; 131:e648.
- Kavey RE, Daniels SR, Lauer RM, et al. American Heart Association guidelines for primary prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease beginning in childhood. Circulation 2003; 107:1562.
- de Jongh S, Ose L, Szamosi T, et al. Efficacy and safety of statin therapy in children with familial hypercholesterolemia: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial with simvastatin. Circulation 2002; 106:2231.
- Stein EA, Illingworth DR, Kwiterovich PO Jr, et al. Efficacy and safety of lovastatin in adolescent males with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 1999; 281:137.
- Laffel L, Chang N, Grey M, et al. Metformin monotherapy in youth with recent onset type 2 diabetes: experience from the prerandomization run-in phase of the TODAY study. Pediatr Diabetes 2012; 13:369.
- TODAY Study Group. Safety and tolerability of the treatment of youth-onset type 2 diabetes: the TODAY experience. Diabetes Care 2013; 36:1765.
- Sapru A, Gitelman SE, Bhatia S, et al. Prevalence and characteristics of type 2 diabetes mellitus in 9-18 year-old children with diabetic ketoacidosis. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2005; 18:865.
- Rosenbloom AL. Hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state: an emerging pediatric problem. J Pediatr 2010; 156:180.
- Krakoff J, Lindsay RS, Looker HC, et al. Incidence of retinopathy and nephropathy in youth-onset compared with adult-onset type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2003; 26:76.
- Pavkov ME, Bennett PH, Knowler WC, et al. Effect of youth-onset type 2 diabetes mellitus on incidence of end-stage renal disease and mortality in young and middle-aged Pima Indians. JAMA 2006; 296:421.
- TODAY Study Group. Retinopathy in youth with type 2 diabetes participating in the TODAY clinical trial. Diabetes Care 2013; 36:1772.
- Scott A, Toomath R, Bouchier D, et al. First national audit of the outcomes of care in young people with diabetes in New Zealand: high prevalence of nephropathy in Maori and Pacific Islanders. N Z Med J 2006; 119:U2015.
- Eppens MC, Craig ME, Cusumano J, et al. Prevalence of diabetes complications in adolescents with type 2 compared with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2006; 29:1300.
- Kim NH, Pavkov ME, Knowler WC, et al. Predictive value of albuminuria in American Indian youth with or without type 2 diabetes. Pediatrics 2010; 125:e844.
- Boulton AJ, Vinik AI, Arezzo JC, et al. Diabetic neuropathies: a statement by the American Diabetes Association. Diabetes Care 2005; 28:956.
- Gungor N, Thompson T, Sutton-Tyrrell K, et al. Early signs of cardiovascular disease in youth with obesity and type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2005; 28:1219.
- Rodriguez BL, Fujimoto WY, Mayer-Davis EJ, et al. Prevalence of cardiovascular disease risk factors in U.S. children and adolescents with diabetes: the SEARCH for diabetes in youth study. Diabetes Care 2006; 29:1891.
- Levitt Katz L, Gidding SS, Bacha F, et al. Alterations in left ventricular, left atrial, and right ventricular structure and function to cardiovascular risk factors in adolescents with type 2 diabetes participating in the TODAY clinical trial. Pediatr Diabetes 2015; 16:39.
- TODAY Study Group, Wilfley D, Berkowitz R, et al. Binge eating, mood, and quality of life in youth with type 2 diabetes: baseline data from the today study. Diabetes Care 2011; 34:858.
- Walders-Abramson N, Venditti EM, Ievers-Landis CE, et al. Relationships among stressful life events and physiological markers, treatment adherence, and psychosocial functioning among youth with type 2 diabetes. J Pediatr 2014; 165:504.
- Anderson BJ, Edelstein S, Abramson NW, et al. Depressive symptoms and quality of life in adolescents with type 2 diabetes: baseline data from the TODAY study. Diabetes Care 2011; 34:2205.
- - Screening
- - Treatment
- - Screening
- - Treatment
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
- HYPERGLYCEMIA AND DKA
- VASCULAR COMPLICATIONS
- Microvascular complications
- - Retinopathy
- - Nephropathy
- - Neuropathy
- Macrovascular complications
- PSYCHOLOGICAL COMPLICATIONS
- OTHER COMPLICATIONS/COMORBIDITIES
- SOCIETY GUIDELINE LINKS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- Associated comorbidities
- - Hypertension
- - Dyslipidemia
- - Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
- - Hyperglycemia
- - Vascular complications