- E William St Clair, MD
E William St Clair, MD
- Professor of Medicine and Immunology
- Chief, Division of Rheumatology and Immunology
- Duke University Medical Center
- Rex McCallum, MD
Rex McCallum, MD
- Professor of Internal Medicine/Rheumatology
- Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs
- University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
Cogan’s syndrome (CS) is a chronic inflammatory disorder that most commonly affects young adults. Clinical hallmarks are interstitial keratitis (IK) and vestibuloauditory dysfunction . Associations between CS and systemic vasculitis, as well as aortitis, also exist [2-4].
The pathology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and treatment of CS will be presented here.
Limited autopsy data derived from temporal bone specimens of patients with Cogan’s syndrome (CS) reveal a range of findings, including [5-7]:
●Lymphocyte and plasma cell infiltration of the spiral ligament
- Cogan DS. Syndrome of nonsyphilitic interstitial keratitis and vestibuloauditory symptoms. Arch Ophthalmol 1945; 33:144.
- Haynes BF, Kaiser-Kupfer MI, Mason P, Fauci AS. Cogan syndrome: studies in thirteen patients, long-term follow-up, and a review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 1980; 59:426.
- Vollertsen RS, McDonald TJ, Younge BR, et al. Cogan's syndrome: 18 cases and a review of the literature. Mayo Clin Proc 1986; 61:344.
- St Clair EW, McCallum RM. Cogan's syndrome. Curr Opin Rheumatol 1999; 11:47.
- FISHER ER, HELLSTROM HR. Cogan's syndrome and systemic vascular disease. Analysis of pathologic features with reference to its relationship to thromboangiitis obliterans (Buerger). Arch Pathol 1961; 72:572.
- Rarey KE, Bicknell JM, Davis LE. Intralabyrinthine osteogenesis in Cogan's syndrome. Am J Otolaryngol 1986; 7:387.
- Schuknecht HF, Nadol JB Jr. Temporal bone pathology in a case of Cogan's syndrome. Laryngoscope 1994; 104:1135.
- Negroni L, Tiberio G. [Cogan's syndrome]. Riv Otoneurooftalmol 1969; 44:199.
- Jung DH, Nadol JB Jr, Folkerth RD, Merola JF. Histopathology of the Inner Ear in a Case With Recent Onset of Cogan's Syndrome: Evidence for Vasculitis. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2016; 125:20.
- Cochrane AD, Tatoulis J. Cogan's syndrome with aortitis, aortic regurgitation, and aortic arch vessel stenoses. Ann Thorac Surg 1991; 52:1166.
- Livingston JZ, Casale AS, Hutchins GM, Shapiro EP. Coronary involvement in Cogan's syndrome. Am Heart J 1992; 123:528.
- Allen NB, Cox CC, Cobo M, et al. Use of immunosuppressive agents in the treatment of severe ocular and vascular manifestations of Cogan's syndrome. Am J Med 1990; 88:296.
- Gelfand ML, Kantor T, Gorstein F. Cogan's syndrome with cardiovascular involvement: aortic insufficiency. Bull N Y Acad Med 1972; 48:647.
- EISENSTEIN B, TAUBENHAUS M. Nonsyphilitic interstitial keratitis and bilateral deafness (Cogan's syndrome) associated with cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med 1958; 258:1074.
- Pinals RS. Cogan's syndrome with arthritis and aortic insufficiency. J Rheumatol 1978; 5:294.
- Lunardi C, Bason C, Leandri M, et al. Autoantibodies to inner ear and endothelial antigens in Cogan's syndrome. Lancet 2002; 360:915.
- McCallum RM, Allen NB, Cobo LM, et al. Cogan's syndrome: Clinical features and outcomes (abstract). Arthritis Rheum 1992; 35(Suppl):S51.
- Gluth MB, Baratz KH, Matteson EL, Driscoll CL. Cogan syndrome: a retrospective review of 60 patients throughout a half century. Mayo Clin Proc 2006; 81:483.
- Bonaguri C, Orsoni J, Russo A, et al. Cogan's syndrome: anti-Hsp70 antibodies are a serological marker in the typical form. Isr Med Assoc J 2014; 16:285.
- Podder S, Shepherd RC. Cogan's syndrome: a rare systemic vasculitis. Arch Dis Child 1994; 71:163.
- Fidler H, Jones NS. Late onset Cogan's syndrome. J Laryngol Otol 1989; 103:512.
- Kasapçopur O, Ashraf M, Caliskan S, et al. Cogan's syndrome: a rare vasculitis in childhood. J Rheumatol 2000; 27:1824.
- Cobo LM, Haynes BF. Early corneal findings in Cogan's syndrome. Ophthalmology 1984; 91:903.
- Cogan DG, Kuwabara T. Late corneal opacities in the syndrome of interstitial keratitis and vestibulo-auditory symptoms. Acta Ophthalmol Suppl 1989; 192:182.
- Shah P, Luqmani RA, Murray PI, et al. Posterior scleritis--an unusual manifestation of Cogan's syndrome. Br J Rheumatol 1994; 33:774.
- Mazlumzadeh M, Matteson EL. Cogan's syndrome: an audiovestibular, ocular, and systemic autoimmune disease. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 2007; 33:855.
- Grasland A, Pouchot J, Hachulla E, et al. Typical and atypical Cogan's syndrome: 32 cases and review of the literature. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2004; 43:1007.
- McCallum RM, Haynes BF. Cogan's syndrome. In: Ocular Infection & Immunity, 1st, Pepose JS, Holland GN, Wilhelmus KR (Eds), Mosby, St. Louis 1996. p.446.
- Hammer M, Witte T, Mügge A, et al. Complicated Cogan's syndrome with aortic insufficiency and coronary stenosis. J Rheumatol 1994; 21:552.
- Cremer J, Laas J, Heublein B. A case of coronary stenosis developing after successful aortic valve repair in Cogan's syndrome. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1993; 41:255.
- Tseng JF, Cambria RP, Aretz HT, Brewster DC. Thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm in Cogan's syndrome. J Vasc Surg 1999; 30:565.
- Raza K, Karokis D, Kitas GD. Cogan's syndrome with Takayasu's arteritis. Br J Rheumatol 1998; 37:369.
- Vella JP, O'Callaghan J, Hickey D, Walshe JJ. Renal artery stenosis complicating Cogan's syndrome. Clin Nephrol 1997; 47:407.
- Vollertsen RS. Vasculitis and Cogan's syndrome. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 1990; 16:433.
- Jacob A, Ledingham JG, Kerr AI, Ford MJ. Ulcerative colitis and giant cell arteritis associated with sensorineural deafness. J Laryngol Otol 1990; 104:889.
- Thomas HG. Case report: clinical and radiological features of Cogan's syndrome--non-syphilitic interstitial keratitis, audiovestibular symptoms and systemic manifestations. Clin Radiol 1992; 45:418.
- Vavricka SR, Greuter T, Scharl M, et al. Cogan's Syndrome in Patients With Inflammatory Bowel Disease--A Case Series. J Crohns Colitis 2015; 9:886.
- McCallum RM. Cogan's syndrome. In: Current Ocular Therapy, 4th, Franunfelder FT, Hampton R (Eds), WB Saunders, Philadelphia 1993. p.410.
- Unizony S, Stone JH, Stone JR. New treatment strategies in large-vessel vasculitis. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2013; 25:3.
- Shibuya M, Fujio K, Morita K, et al. Successful treatment with tocilizumab in a case of Cogan's syndrome complicated with aortitis. Mod Rheumatol 2013; 23:577.
- Darougar S, John AC, Viswalingam M, et al. Isolation of Chlamydia psittaci from a patient with interstitial keratitis and uveitis associated with otological and cardiovascular lesions. Br J Ophthalmol 1978; 62:709.
- Chandler RD. Inclusion conjunctivitis (paratrachoma, chlamydia). In: Current Ocular Therapy, 4th, Fraunfelder FT, Roy FH, Grove J (Eds), WB Saunders, Philadelphia 1995. p.59.
- Dev S, McCallum RM, Jaffe GJ. Methotrexate treatment for sarcoid-associated panuveitis. Ophthalmology 1999; 106:111.
- Meikle AW, Tyler FH. Potency and duration of action of glucocorticoids. Effects of hydrocortisone, prednisone and dexamethasone on human pituitary-adrenal function. Am J Med 1977; 63:200.
- Haynes DS, O'Malley M, Cohen S, et al. Intratympanic dexamethasone for sudden sensorineural hearing loss after failure of systemic therapy. Laryngoscope 2007; 117:3.
- Riente L, Taglione E, Berrettini S. Efficacy of methotrexate in Cogan's syndrome. J Rheumatol 1996; 23:1830.
- Pouchot J, Vinceneux P, Bouccara D, et al. Methotrexate as a steroid-sparing agent in Cogan's syndrome: comment on the concise communication by Richardson. Arthritis Rheum 1995; 38:1348.
- Roat MI, Thoft RA, Thomson AW, et al. Treatment of Cogan's syndrome with FK 506: a case report. Transplant Proc 1991; 23:3347.
- Matteson EL, Tirzaman O, Facer GW, et al. Use of methotrexate for autoimmune hearing loss. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2000; 109:710.
- Xie L, Cai Y, Bao X, Cao L. Leflunomide for the successful management of juvenile Cogan's syndrome. Clin Rheumatol 2009; 28:1453.
- Hautefort C, Loundon N, Montchilova M, et al. Mycophenolate mofetil as a treatment of steroid dependent Cogan's syndrome in childhood. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2009; 73:1477.
- Tayer-Shifman OE, Ilan O, Tovi H, Tal Y. Cogan's syndrome--clinical guidelines and novel therapeutic approaches. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2014; 47:65.
- Peters BR, Wyss J, Manrique M. Worldwide trends in bilateral cochlear implantation. Laryngoscope 2010; 120 Suppl 2:S17.
- Wang JR, Yuen HW, Shipp DB, et al. Cochlear implantation in patients with autoimmune inner ear disease including cogan syndrome: a comparison with age- and sex-matched controls. Laryngoscope 2010; 120:2478.
- Coelho DH, Lalwani AK. Medical management of Ménière's disease. Laryngoscope 2008; 118:1099.
- CLINICAL FEATURES
- Ocular disease
- Inner ear disease
- Systemic vasculitis
- Other findings
- DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS
- Systemic vasculitis
- Ocular disease
- - Anterior ocular inflammation
- - Posterior ocular inflammation
- Inner ear disease
- Vestibular dysfunction
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS