Clinical presentation, diagnosis, and staging of malignant pleural mesothelioma
- Daniel H Sterman, MD
Daniel H Sterman, MD
- Director, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine
- NYU School of Medicine
- NYU Langone Medical Center
- Leslie A Litzky, MD
Leslie A Litzky, MD
- Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
- University of Pennsylvania Medical Center
- Larry R Kaiser, MD
Larry R Kaiser, MD
- President and CEO, Temple University Health System
- Sr. Executive Vice President for Health Sciences, Temple University
- Dean, Temple University School of Medicine
- Steven M Albelda, MD
Steven M Albelda, MD
- Professor of Medicine
- University of Pennsylvania Medical Center
- Section Editors
- Rogerio C Lilenbaum, MD, FACP
Rogerio C Lilenbaum, MD, FACP
- Section Editor — Lung Cancer
- Yale Cancer Center
- Joseph S Friedberg, MD
Joseph S Friedberg, MD
- Section Editor — Thoracic Surgery
- Charles Reid Edwards Professor of Surgery
- University of Maryland
Malignant mesothelioma is an insidious neoplasm with a very poor prognosis. It arises from mesothelial surfaces of the pleural cavity, peritoneal cavity, tunica vaginalis, or pericardium.
The clinical presentation, evaluation, and staging of malignant pleural mesothelioma will be reviewed here. Other related topics include:
- Pass HI, Vogelzang NJ, Hahn SM, Carbone M. Benign and malignant mesothelioma. In: Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology, 9th, DeVita VT, Lawrence TS, Rosenberg SA. (Eds), LWW, 2011. p.2052.
- Bénard F, Sterman D, Smith RJ, et al. Metabolic imaging of malignant pleural mesothelioma with fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography. Chest 1998; 114:713.
- Yildirim H, Metintas M, Entok E, et al. Clinical value of fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography/computed tomography in differentiation of malignant mesothelioma from asbestos-related benign pleural disease: an observational pilot study. J Thorac Oncol 2009; 4:1480.
- Chang K, Pai LH, Pass H, et al. Monoclonal antibody K1 reacts with epithelial mesothelioma but not with lung adenocarcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol 1992; 16:259.
- Ordóñez NG. Value of mesothelin immunostaining in the diagnosis of mesothelioma. Mod Pathol 2003; 16:192.
- Hollevoet K, Reitsma JB, Creaney J, et al. Serum mesothelin for diagnosing malignant pleural mesothelioma: an individual patient data meta-analysis. J Clin Oncol 2012; 30:1541.
- Scherpereel A, Grigoriu B, Conti M, et al. Soluble mesothelin-related peptides in the diagnosis of malignant pleural mesothelioma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006; 173:1155.
- Creaney J, Yeoman D, Naumoff LK, et al. Soluble mesothelin in effusions: a useful tool for the diagnosis of malignant mesothelioma. Thorax 2007; 62:569.
- Davies HE, Sadler RS, Bielsa S, et al. Clinical impact and reliability of pleural fluid mesothelin in undiagnosed pleural effusions. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2009; 180:437.
- Lee YC. Hunting for a pleural fluid test for mesothelioma: is soluble mesothelin the answer? Thorax 2007; 62:561.
- Pass HI, Lott D, Lonardo F, et al. Asbestos exposure, pleural mesothelioma, and serum osteopontin levels. N Engl J Med 2005; 353:1564.
- Hiraki A, Aoe K, Ueoka H. Asbestos exposure and serum osteopontin. N Engl J Med 2006; 354:304.
- Muñoz A, Barceló R, López-Vivanco G. Malignant mesothelioma. N Engl J Med 2006; 354:305.
- Grigoriu BD, Scherpereel A, Devos P, et al. Utility of osteopontin and serum mesothelin in malignant pleural mesothelioma diagnosis and prognosis assessment. Clin Cancer Res 2007; 13:2928.
- Pass HI, Levin SM, Harbut MR, et al. Fibulin-3 as a blood and effusion biomarker for pleural mesothelioma. N Engl J Med 2012; 367:1417.
- Socola F, Loaiza-Bonilla A, Bustinza-Linares E, et al. Recurrent thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-like syndrome as a paraneoplastic phenomenon in malignant peritoneal mesothelioma: a case report and review of the literature. Case Rep Oncol Med 2012; 2012:619348.
- Wong SF, Newland L, John T, White SC. Paraneoplastic leukocytoclastic vasculitis as an initial presentation of malignant pleural mesothelioma: a case report. J Med Case Rep 2012; 6:261.
- Li JY, Yong TY, Kuss BJ, et al. Malignant pleural mesothelioma with associated minimal change disease and acute renal failure. Ren Fail 2010; 32:1012.
- Bech C, Sørensen JB. Polyneuropathy in a patient with malignant pleural mesothelioma: a paraneoplastic syndrome. J Thorac Oncol 2008; 3:1359.
- Tanriverdi O, Meydan N, Barutca S, et al. Anti-Yo antibody-mediated paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration in a female patient with pleural malignant mesothelioma. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2013; 43:563.
- Husain AN, Colby T, Ordonez N, et al. Guidelines for pathologic diagnosis of malignant mesothelioma: 2012 update of the consensus statement from the International Mesothelioma Interest Group. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2013; 137:647.
- Boutin C, Rey F, Gouvernet J, et al. Thoracoscopy in pleural malignant mesothelioma: a prospective study of 188 consecutive patients. Part 2: Prognosis and staging. Cancer 1993; 72:394.
- Rusch VW, Giroux D, Kennedy C, et al. Initial analysis of the international association for the study of lung cancer mesothelioma database. J Thorac Oncol 2012; 7:1631.
- American Joint Committee on Cancer. Pleural mesothelioma. In: Cancer Staging Manual, Seventh Edition, Springer, 2010. p.271.
- Richards WG. Recent advances in mesothelioma staging. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2009; 21:105.
- Patz EF Jr, Shaffer K, Piwnica-Worms DR, et al. Malignant pleural mesothelioma: value of CT and MR imaging in predicting resectability. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1992; 159:961.
- Heelan RT, Rusch VW, Begg CB, et al. Staging of malignant pleural mesothelioma: comparison of CT and MR imaging. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1999; 172:1039.
- Marom EM, Erasmus JJ, Pass HI, Patz EF Jr. The role of imaging in malignant pleural mesothelioma. Semin Oncol 2002; 29:26.
- Miller WT Jr, Gefter WB, Miller WT Sr. Asbestos-related chest diseases: plain radiographic findings. Semin Roentgenol 1992; 27:102.
- Sørensen JB, Ravn J, Loft A, et al. Preoperative staging of mesothelioma by 18F-fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography fused imaging and mediastinoscopy compared to pathological findings after extrapleural pneumonectomy. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008; 34:1090.
- Plathow C, Staab A, Schmaehl A, et al. Computed tomography, positron emission tomography, positron emission tomography/computed tomography, and magnetic resonance imaging for staging of limited pleural mesothelioma: initial results. Invest Radiol 2008; 43:737.
- Wilcox BE, Subramaniam RM, Peller PJ, et al. Utility of integrated computed tomography-positron emission tomography for selection of operable malignant pleural mesothelioma. Clin Lung Cancer 2009; 10:244.
- Rice DC, Erasmus JJ, Stevens CW, et al. Extended surgical staging for potentially resectable malignant pleural mesothelioma. Ann Thorac Surg 2005; 80:1988.
- Sugarbaker DJ, Jaklitsch MT, Liptay MJ. Mesothelioma and radical multimodality therapy: who benefits? Chest 1995; 107:345S.
- Herndon JE, Green MR, Chahinian AP, et al. Factors predictive of survival among 337 patients with mesothelioma treated between 1984 and 1994 by the Cancer and Leukemia Group B. Chest 1998; 113:723.
- Edwards JG, Abrams KR, Leverment JN, et al. Prognostic factors for malignant mesothelioma in 142 patients: validation of CALGB and EORTC prognostic scoring systems. Thorax 2000; 55:731.
- Mikulski SM, Costanzi JJ, Vogelzang NJ, et al. Phase II trial of a single weekly intravenous dose of ranpirnase in patients with unresectable malignant mesothelioma. J Clin Oncol 2002; 20:274.
- Curran D, Sahmoud T, Therasse P, et al. Prognostic factors in patients with pleural mesothelioma: the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer experience. J Clin Oncol 1998; 16:145.
- Bottomley A, Coens C, Efficace F, et al. Symptoms and patient-reported well-being: do they predict survival in malignant pleural mesothelioma? A prognostic factor analysis of EORTC-NCIC 08983: randomized phase III study of cisplatin with or without raltitrexed in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25:5770.
- CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS
- Clinical symptoms
- Tumor markers
- - Mesothelin
- - Osteopontin
- - Fibulin-3
- Paraneoplastic syndromes
- Differential diagnosis
- Tissue diagnosis
- Staging systems
- Staging evaluation
- - Chest CT
- - MR imaging
- - PET and integrated PET-CT
- - Surgical staging
- Stage and prognosis
- - IASLC IMIG database
- - Prognostic scoring systems
- CALGB index
- EORTC index
- NATURAL HISTORY
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS