Clinical manifestations, pathologic features, and diagnosis of peripheral T cell lymphoma, not otherwise specified
- Arnold S Freedman, MD
Arnold S Freedman, MD
- Section Editor — Lymphoproliferative Disorders
- Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Jon C Aster, MD
Jon C Aster, MD
- Professor of Pathology
- Harvard Medical School
The peripheral T cell lymphomas are a heterogeneous group of generally aggressive neoplasms that constitute less than 15 percent of all non-Hodgkin lymphomas in adults [1,2]. (See "Classification of the hematopoietic neoplasms".)
Among these, in decreasing frequency of occurrence, are:
●Peripheral T cell lymphoma, not otherwise specified
●Anaplastic large cell lymphoma, primary systemic type
●Angioimmunoblastic T cell lymphoma
- Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, et al. (Eds). World Health Organization Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues, IARC Press, Lyon 2008.
- Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Pileri SA, et al. The 2016 revision of the World Health Organization classification of lymphoid neoplasms. Blood 2016; 127:2375.
- Armitage JO, Weisenburger DD. New approach to classifying non-Hodgkin's lymphomas: clinical features of the major histologic subtypes. Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Classification Project. J Clin Oncol 1998; 16:2780.
- Medeiros LJ, Lardelli P, Stetler-Stevenson M, et al. Genotypic analysis of diffuse, mixed cell lymphomas. Comparison with morphologic and immunophenotypic findings. Am J Clin Pathol 1991; 95:547.
- A clinical evaluation of the International Lymphoma Study Group classification of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Classification Project. Blood 1997; 89:3909.
- Abramson JS, Feldman T, Kroll-Desrosiers AR, et al. Peripheral T-cell lymphomas in a large US multicenter cohort: prognostication in the modern era including impact of frontline therapy. Ann Oncol 2014; 25:2211.
- Ellin F, Landström J, Jerkeman M, Relander T. Real-world data on prognostic factors and treatment in peripheral T-cell lymphomas: a study from the Swedish Lymphoma Registry. Blood 2014; 124:1570.
- Abouyabis AN, Shenoy PJ, Lechowicz MJ, Flowers CR. Incidence and outcomes of the peripheral T-cell lymphoma subtypes in the United States. Leuk Lymphoma 2008; 49:2099.
- Vose J, Armitage J, Weisenburger D, International T-Cell Lymphoma Project. International peripheral T-cell and natural killer/T-cell lymphoma study: pathology findings and clinical outcomes. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26:4124.
- Adams SV, Newcomb PA, Shustov AR. Racial Patterns of Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma Incidence and Survival in the United States. J Clin Oncol 2016; 34:963.
- Weisenburger DD, Savage KJ, Harris NL, et al. Peripheral T-cell lymphoma, not otherwise specified: a report of 340 cases from the International Peripheral T-cell Lymphoma Project. Blood 2011; 117:3402.
- Dogan A, Morice WG. Bone marrow histopathology in peripheral T-cell lymphomas. Br J Haematol 2004; 127:140.
- Falini B, Pileri S, De Solas I, et al. Peripheral T-cell lymphoma associated with hemophagocytic syndrome. Blood 1990; 75:434.
- Chott A, Dragosics B, Radaszkiewicz T. Peripheral T-cell lymphomas of the intestine. Am J Pathol 1992; 141:1361.
- Gonzalez CL, Medeiros LJ, Braziel RM, Jaffe ES. T-cell lymphoma involving subcutaneous tissue. A clinicopathologic entity commonly associated with hemophagocytic syndrome. Am J Surg Pathol 1991; 15:17.
- Bekkenk MW, Vermeer MH, Jansen PM, et al. Peripheral T-cell lymphomas unspecified presenting in the skin: analysis of prognostic factors in a group of 82 patients. Blood 2003; 102:2213.
- Suchi T, Lennert K, Tu LY, et al. Histopathology and immunohistochemistry of peripheral T cell lymphomas: a proposal for their classification. J Clin Pathol 1987; 40:995.
- Weiss LM, Crabtree GS, Rouse RV, Warnke RA. Morphologic and immunologic characterization of 50 peripheral T-cell lymphomas. Am J Pathol 1985; 118:316.
- Patsouris E, Noël H, Lennert K. Histological and immunohistological findings in lymphoepithelioid cell lymphoma (Lennert's lymphoma). Am J Surg Pathol 1988; 12:341.
- Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Stein H, et al. A revised European-American classification of lymphoid neoplasms: a proposal from the International Lymphoma Study Group. Blood 1994; 84:1361.
- Borowitz MJ, Reichert TA, Brynes RK, et al. The phenotypic diversity of peripheral T-cell lymphomas: the Southeastern Cancer Study Group experience. Hum Pathol 1986; 17:567.
- Rahemtullah A, Longtine JA, Harris NL, et al. CD20+ T-cell lymphoma: clinicopathologic analysis of 9 cases and a review of the literature. Am J Surg Pathol 2008; 32:1593.
- Weiss LM, Trela MJ, Cleary ML, et al. Frequent immunoglobulin and T-cell receptor gene rearrangements in "histiocytic" neoplasms. Am J Pathol 1985; 121:369.
- Weiss LM, Picker LJ, Grogan TM, et al. Absence of clonal beta and gamma T-cell receptor gene rearrangements in a subset of peripheral T-cell lymphomas. Am J Pathol 1988; 130:436.
- Boehm T, Baer R, Lavenir I, et al. The mechanism of chromosomal translocation t(11;14) involving the T-cell receptor C delta locus on human chromosome 14q11 and a transcribed region of chromosome 11p15. EMBO J 1988; 7:385.
- Caccia N, Bruns GA, Kirsch IR, et al. T cell receptor alpha chain genes are located on chromosome 14 at 14q11-14q12 in humans. J Exp Med 1985; 161:1255.
- Caccia N, Kronenberg M, Saxe D, et al. The T cell receptor beta chain genes are located on chromosome 6 in mice and chromosome 7 in humans. Cell 1984; 37:1091.
- Hecht F, Morgan R, Hecht BK, Smith SD. Common region on chromosome 14 in T-cell leukemia and lymphoma. Science 1984; 226:1445.
- Kaneko Y, Maseki N, Homma C, et al. Chromosome translocations involving band 7q35 or 7p15 in childhood T-cell leukemia/lymphoma. Blood 1988; 72:534.
- Schlegelberger B, Himmler A, Gödde E, et al. Cytogenetic findings in peripheral T-cell lymphomas as a basis for distinguishing low-grade and high-grade lymphomas. Blood 1994; 83:505.
- Ong ST, Le Beau MM. Chromosomal abnormalities and molecular genetics of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Semin Oncol 1998; 25:447.
- Hartmann S, Gesk S, Scholtysik R, et al. High resolution SNP array genomic profiling of peripheral T cell lymphomas, not otherwise specified, identifies a subgroup with chromosomal aberrations affecting the REL locus. Br J Haematol 2010; 148:402.
- Agostinelli C, Piccaluga PP, Went P, et al. Peripheral T cell lymphoma, not otherwise specified: the stuff of genes, dreams and therapies. J Clin Pathol 2008; 61:1160.
- Iqbal J, Weisenburger DD, Greiner TC, et al. Molecular signatures to improve diagnosis in peripheral T-cell lymphoma and prognostication in angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma. Blood 2010; 115:1026.
- Vasmatzis G, Johnson SH, Knudson RA, et al. Genome-wide analysis reveals recurrent structural abnormalities of TP63 and other p53-related genes in peripheral T-cell lymphomas. Blood 2012; 120:2280.
- Piccaluga PP, Agostinelli C, Califano A, et al. Gene expression analysis of peripheral T cell lymphoma, unspecified, reveals distinct profiles and new potential therapeutic targets. J Clin Invest 2007; 117:823.
- Wang T, Feldman AL, Wada DA, et al. GATA-3 expression identifies a high-risk subset of PTCL, NOS with distinct molecular and clinical features. Blood 2014; 123:3007.
- Iqbal J, Wright G, Wang C, et al. Gene expression signatures delineate biological and prognostic subgroups in peripheral T-cell lymphoma. Blood 2014; 123:2915.
- de Leval L, Rickman DS, Thielen C, et al. The gene expression profile of nodal peripheral T-cell lymphoma demonstrates a molecular link between angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma (AITL) and follicular helper T (TFH) cells. Blood 2007; 109:4952.
- Piccaluga PP, Fuligni F, De Leo A, et al. Molecular profiling improves classification and prognostication of nodal peripheral T-cell lymphomas: results of a phase III diagnostic accuracy study. J Clin Oncol 2013; 31:3019.
- Hastrup N, Ralfkiaer E, Pallesen G. Aberrant phenotypes in peripheral T cell lymphomas. J Clin Pathol 1989; 42:398.
- Pinkus GS, O'Hara CJ, Said JW. Peripheral/post-thymic T-cell lymphomas: a spectrum of disease. Clinical, pathologic, and immunologic features of 78 cases. Cancer 1990; 65:971.
- Palomero T, Couronné L, Khiabanian H, et al. Recurrent mutations in epigenetic regulators, RHOA and FYN kinase in peripheral T cell lymphomas. Nat Genet 2014; 46:166.
- Parrilla Castellar ER, Jaffe ES, Said JW, et al. ALK-negative anaplastic large cell lymphoma is a genetically heterogeneous disease with widely disparate clinical outcomes. Blood 2014; 124:1473.
- Weisenburger DD, Linder J, Armitage JO. Peripheral T-cell lymphoma: a clinicopathologic study of 42 cases. Hematol Oncol 1987; 5:175.
- Coiffier B, Brousse N, Peuchmaur M, et al. Peripheral T-cell lymphomas have a worse prognosis than B-cell lymphomas: a prospective study of 361 immunophenotyped patients treated with the LNH-84 regimen. The GELA (Groupe d'Etude des Lymphomes Agressives). Ann Oncol 1990; 1:45.
- Armitage JO, Greer JP, Levine AM, et al. Peripheral T-cell lymphoma. Cancer 1989; 63:158.
- Lippman SM, Miller TP, Spier CM, et al. The prognostic significance of the immunotype in diffuse large-cell lymphoma: a comparative study of the T-cell and B-cell phenotype. Blood 1988; 72:436.
- Schmitz N, Trümper L, Ziepert M, et al. Treatment and prognosis of mature T-cell and NK-cell lymphoma: an analysis of patients with T-cell lymphoma treated in studies of the German High-Grade Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Study Group. Blood 2010; 116:3418.
- Gisselbrecht C, Gaulard P, Lepage E, et al. Prognostic significance of T-cell phenotype in aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. Groupe d'Etudes des Lymphomes de l'Adulte (GELA). Blood 1998; 92:76.
- Gallamini A, Stelitano C, Calvi R, et al. Peripheral T-cell lymphoma unspecified (PTCL-U): a new prognostic model from a retrospective multicentric clinical study. Blood 2004; 103:2474.
- Lee Y, Uhm JE, Lee HY, et al. Clinical features and prognostic factors of patients with "peripheral T cell lymphoma, unspecified". Ann Hematol 2009; 88:111.
- Gutiérrez-García G, García-Herrera A, Cardesa T, et al. Comparison of four prognostic scores in peripheral T-cell lymphoma. Ann Oncol 2011; 22:397.
- Went P, Agostinelli C, Gallamini A, et al. Marker expression in peripheral T-cell lymphoma: a proposed clinical-pathologic prognostic score. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24:2472.
- Dupuis J, Emile JF, Mounier N, et al. Prognostic significance of Epstein-Barr virus in nodal peripheral T-cell lymphoma, unspecified: A Groupe d'Etude des Lymphomes de l'Adulte (GELA) study. Blood 2006; 108:4163.
- Chihara D, Oki Y, Ine S, et al. Analysis of prognostic factors in peripheral T-cell lymphoma: prognostic value of serum albumin and mediastinal lymphadenopathy. Leuk Lymphoma 2009; 50:1999.
- Cuadros M, Dave SS, Jaffe ES, et al. Identification of a proliferation signature related to survival in nodal peripheral T-cell lymphomas. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25:3321.
- Valleron W, Ysebaert L, Berquet L, et al. Small nucleolar RNA expression profiling identifies potential prognostic markers in peripheral T-cell lymphoma. Blood 2012; 120:3997.
- CLINICAL FEATURES
- Genetic features
- DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS
- Angioimmunoblastic T cell lymphoma
- Anaplastic large cell lymphoma
- Hodgkin lymphoma
- Adult T cell leukemia-lymphoma
- T cell histiocyte rich large B cell lymphoma
- Granulomatous lymphadenitis
- Paracortical hyperplasia