Clinical manifestations of magnesium depletion
- Alan S L Yu, MB, BChir
Alan S L Yu, MB, BChir
- Harry Statland and Solon Summerfield Professor of Medicine
- University of Kansas Medical Center
- Sri G Yarlagadda, MD
Sri G Yarlagadda, MD
- Associate Professor
- University of Kansas Medical Center
Hypomagnesemia is a common problem, occurring in nearly 12 percent of hospitalized patients . A higher incidence, as much as 60 to 65 percent, has been found among intensive care unit patients .
Symptomatic magnesium depletion is often associated with multiple biochemical abnormalities such as hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, and metabolic alkalosis. As a result, it is often difficult to ascribe specific clinical manifestations solely to hypomagnesemia.
This topic reviews the clinical manifestations of magnesium depletion. The causes, evaluation, and treatment of magnesium depletion are discussed elsewhere. (See "Causes of hypomagnesemia" and "Evaluation and treatment of hypomagnesemia".)
OVERVIEW OF CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS
The major clinical manifestations of hypomagnesemia include:
●Neuromuscular manifestations, including neuromuscular hyperexcitability (eg, tremor, tetany, convulsions), weakness, apathy, delirium, and coma. (See 'Neuromuscular' below.)
- Agus ZS. Hypomagnesemia. J Am Soc Nephrol 1999; 10:1616.
- Tong GM, Rude RK. Magnesium deficiency in critical illness. J Intensive Care Med 2005; 20:3.
- Ford ES, Li C, McGuire LC, et al. Intake of dietary magnesium and the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among U.S. adults. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2007; 15:1139.
- Dyckner T, Wester PO. Effect of magnesium on blood pressure. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1983; 286:1847.
- Kass L, Weekes J, Carpenter L. Effect of magnesium supplementation on blood pressure: a meta-analysis. Eur J Clin Nutr 2012; 66:411.
- Sun-Edelstein C, Mauskop A. Role of magnesium in the pathogenesis and treatment of migraine. Expert Rev Neurother 2009; 9:369.
- Mohammed S, Goodacre S. Intravenous and nebulised magnesium sulphate for acute asthma: systematic review and meta-analysis. Emerg Med J 2007; 24:823.
- Li L, Streja E, Rhee CM, et al. Hypomagnesemia and Mortality in Incident Hemodialysis Patients. Am J Kidney Dis 2015; 66:1047.
- Van Laecke S, Desideri F, Geerts A, et al. Hypomagnesemia and the risk of new-onset diabetes after liver transplantation. Liver Transpl 2010; 16:1278.
- Van Laecke S, Van Biesen W, Verbeke F, et al. Posttransplantation hypomagnesemia and its relation with immunosuppression as predictors of new-onset diabetes after transplantation. Am J Transplant 2009; 9:2140.
- Huang JW, Famure O, Li Y, Kim SJ. Hypomagnesemia and the Risk of New-Onset Diabetes Mellitus after Kidney Transplantation. J Am Soc Nephrol 2016; 27:1793.
- VALLEE BL, WACKER WE, ULMER DD. The magnesium-deficiency tetany syndrome in man. N Engl J Med 1960; 262:155.
- Shils ME. Experimental human magnesium depletion. Medicine (Baltimore) 1969; 48:61.
- FRANKENHAEUSER B, MEVES H. The effect of magnesium and calcium on the frog myelinated nerve fibre. J Physiol 1958; 142:360.
- Mody I, Lambert JD, Heinemann U. Low extracellular magnesium induces epileptiform activity and spreading depression in rat hippocampal slices. J Neurophysiol 1987; 57:869.
- Cohen L, Kitzes R. Clinical clues to magnesium deficiency. Isr J Med Sci 1987; 23:1238.
- Flink EB. Magnesium deficiency. Etiology and clinical spectrum. Acta Med Scand Suppl 1981; 647:125.
- Saul RF, Selhorst JB. Downbeat nystagmus with magnesium depletion. Arch Neurol 1981; 38:650.
- Agus MS, Agus ZS. Cardiovascular actions of magnesium. Crit Care Clin 2001; 17:175.
- Seelig MS. Magnesium deficiency and cardiac dysrhythmia. In: Magnesium Deficiency in the Pathogenesis of Disease, Plenum, New York 1980. p.219.
- Dyckner T. Serum magnesium in acute myocardial infarction. Relation to arrhythmias. Acta Med Scand 1980; 207:59.
- Kelly RA, Smith TW. Recognition and management of digitalis toxicity. Am J Cardiol 1992; 69:108G.
- Seller RH, Cangiano J, Kim KE, et al. Digitalis toxicity and hypomagnesemia. Am Heart J 1970; 79:57.
- Fatemi S, Ryzen E, Flores J, et al. Effect of experimental human magnesium depletion on parathyroid hormone secretion and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D metabolism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1991; 73:1067.
- Rude RK, Gruber HE. Magnesium deficiency and osteoporosis: animal and human observations. J Nutr Biochem 2004; 15:710.
- Chase LR, Slatopolsky E. Secretion and metabolic efficacy of parthyroid hormone in patients with severe hypomagnesemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1974; 38:363.
- Connor TB, Toskes P, Mahaffey J, et al. Parathyroid function during chronic magnesium deficiency. Johns Hopkins Med J 1972; 131:100.
- Rude RK, Oldham SB, Singer FR. Functional hypoparathyroidism and parathyroid hormone end-organ resistance in human magnesium deficiency. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1976; 5:209.
- Freitag JJ, Martin KJ, Conrades MB, et al. Evidence for skeletal resistance to parathyroid hormone in magnesium deficiency. Studies in isolated perfused bone. J Clin Invest 1979; 64:1238.
- Rude RK, Adams JS, Ryzen E, et al. Low serum concentrations of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D in human magnesium deficiency. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1985; 61:933.
- Lim P, Jacob E. Tissue magnesium level in chronic diarrhea. J Lab Clin Med 1972; 80:313.
- Ryzen E, Nelson TA, Rude RK. Low blood mononuclear cell magnesium content and hypocalcemia in normomagnesemic patients. West J Med 1987; 147:549.
- Ryzen E, Elbaum N, Singer FR, Rude RK. Parenteral magnesium tolerance testing in the evaluation of magnesium deficiency. Magnesium 1985; 4:137.
- Whang R, Ryder KW. Frequency of hypomagnesemia and hypermagnesemia. Requested vs routine. JAMA 1990; 263:3063.
- Huang CL, Kuo E. Mechanism of hypokalemia in magnesium deficiency. J Am Soc Nephrol 2007; 18:2649.
- Nichols CG, Ho K, Hebert S. Mg(2+)-dependent inward rectification of ROMK1 potassium channels expressed in Xenopus oocytes. J Physiol 1994; 476:399.
- Yang L, Frindt G, Palmer LG. Magnesium modulates ROMK channel-mediated potassium secretion. J Am Soc Nephrol 2010; 21:2109.
- Whang R, Whang DD, Ryan MP. Refractory potassium repletion. A consequence of magnesium deficiency. Arch Intern Med 1992; 152:40.