UpToDate
Official reprint from UpToDate®
www.uptodate.com ©2017 UpToDate, Inc. and/or its affiliates. All Rights Reserved.

Medline ® Abstract for Reference 74

of 'Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Fanconi anemia'

74
TI
Oral and dental findings in children with Fanconi anemia.
AU
Tekcicek M, Tavil B, Cakar A, Pinar A, Unal S, Gumruk F
SO
Pediatr Dent. 2007 May-Jun;29(3):248-52.
 
PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to investigate the oral and dental findings in children with Fanconi anemia (FA).
METHODS: The study included 26 FA patients who came to the hospital (Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Pediatric Hematology Unit) from the central region of Anatolia (17 [65%]mole, 9 [35%]female; mean age = 10.0 +/- 5.2 years (range = 2-18; median = 9 years]). Oral and radiological examinations and salivary collection were performed at the Department of Pediatric Dentistry of Hacettepe University Faculty of Dentistry.
RESULTS: Among 26 FA children: (a) 16 (62%) had never visited a dentist; (b) 6 (23%) had visited a dentist once; and (c) 4 (15%) had visited a dentist regularly. Furthermore: (a) only 5 children (19%) brushed their teeth regularly; (b) 7 (27%) had never brushed their teeth previously; and (c) the other 14 (54%) had brushed their teeth rarely. The prevalence of dental caries was 35% in this study's patients. Gingival examination revealed that 9 (35%) children had gingivitis and the other 17 (65%) had normal gingival health status. Examination of the oral cavity revealed that: (a) 3 children (12%) had acoated tongue; and (b) 1 (4%) had papillary atrophy. No leukoplakia or other precancerous lesion was detected in this patient group. Salivary flow rate was less than 0.7 ml/minute in 56% of the patients. No patients had a salivary pH less than 5. Salivary buffering capacity of less than 5, however, was detected in 5 patients (33%). Radiological evaluation revealed that the most common congenital dental abnormalities were: (1) microdontia (44%); (2) congenitally missing teeth (26%); (3) transposition (9%); and (4) supernumerary teeth (4%).
CONCLUSION: These results demonstrate that poor oral hygiene, dental decay, gingivitis, and congenital dental abnormalities--including generalized microdontia, supernumerary teeth, transposition, and congenitally missing teeth--are common oral and dental findings in this group of Turkish children with Fanconi anemia.
AD
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine. mtekcicek@hacettepe.edu.tr
PMID