Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of chronic and acute recurrent pancreatitis in children
- Sarah Jane Schwarzenberg, MD
Sarah Jane Schwarzenberg, MD
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
- Director, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
- University of Minnesota Masonic Children's Hospital
- Section Editors
- Melvin B Heyman, MD, MPH
Melvin B Heyman, MD, MPH
- Section Editor — Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Professor of Pediatrics
- University of California, San Francisco
- David C Whitcomb, MD, PhD
David C Whitcomb, MD, PhD
- Section Editor — Pancreatic Diseases
- Professor of Medicine
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Chronic pancreatitis is a progressive inflammatory disease of the pancreas. It is defined mechanistically as "a pathologic fibroinflammatory syndrome of the pancreas in individuals with genetic, environmental, or other risk factors who develop persistent pathologic responses to parenchymal injury or stress" . The severity of clinical signs and symptoms vary between patients and more advanced disease is characterized by pancreatic atrophy, fibrosis, pain syndromes, duct distortion and strictures, calcifications, pancreatic exocrine dysfunction, pancreatic endocrine dysfunction, and dysplasia. In advanced disease, the structural changes, pain syndromes, and exocrine and/or endocrine pancreatic insufficiency appear to be irreversible [2-4]. The structural changes include irregular sclerotic and diffuse or focal destruction, acinar cell loss, islet cell loss, inflammatory cell infiltrate, and pancreatic duct abnormalities. Intraductal obstruction may be caused by protein plugs and/or calculi. Chronic and acute recurrent pancreatitis are distinguished by frequency of symptoms and presence or absence of irreversible changes in the pancreas or pancreatic function (table 1) .
This topic review will provide an overview of the clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and prognosis in children with chronic and acute recurrent pancreatitis. Related information is available in the following topic reviews:
●(See "Hereditary pancreatitis".)
- Whitcomb DC, Frulloni L, Garg P, et al. Chronic pancreatitis: An international draft consensus proposal for a new mechanistic definition. Pancreatology 2016; 16:218.
- Owyang C. Chronic pancreatitis. In: Textbook of Gastroenterology, 4th, Yamada T (Ed), Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia 2003. p.2061.
- Sarner, M. Pancreatitis definition and classification. In: Go, VL, DiMagno, EP, Gardner, JD, Lebenthal, E, et al (Eds), The Pancreas: Pathology and Disease, 2nd ed, Raven, New York, 1993. p.575.
- Steer ML, Waxman I, Freedman S. Chronic pancreatitis. N Engl J Med 1995; 332:1482.
- Morinville VD, Husain SZ, Bai H, et al. Definitions of pediatric pancreatitis and survey of present clinical practices. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2012; 55:261.
- DiMagno EP, Go VL, Summerskill WH. Relations between pancreatic enzyme outputs and malabsorption in severe pancreatic insufficiency. N Engl J Med 1973; 288:813.
- Whitcomb, DC. Lowe, ME. Acute and chronic pancreatitis. In: Pediatric Gastrointestinal Disease: Pathopsychology, Diagnosis, Management, 4th ed, Walker, WA, Goulet, O, Kleinman, RE, et al (Eds), BC Decker, Ontario, 2004. p. 1584.
- Sakorafas GH, Tsiotou AG, Peros G. Mechanisms and natural history of pain in chronic pancreatitis: a surgical perspective. J Clin Gastroenterol 2007; 41:689.
- Lankisch PG, Löhr-Happe A, Otto J, Creutzfeldt W. Natural course in chronic pancreatitis. Pain, exocrine and endocrine pancreatic insufficiency and prognosis of the disease. Digestion 1993; 54:148.
- Buscher HC, Wilder-Smith OH, van Goor H. Chronic pancreatitis patients show hyperalgesia of central origin: a pilot study. Eur J Pain 2006; 10:363.
- Bouwense SA, de Vries M, Schreuder LT, et al. Systematic mechanism-orientated approach to chronic pancreatitis pain. World J Gastroenterol 2015; 21:47.
- Rebours V, Boutron-Ruault MC, Schnee M, et al. The natural history of hereditary pancreatitis: a national series. Gut 2009; 58:97.
- Domínguez-Muñoz JE, Iglesias-García J, Vilariño-Insua M, Iglesias-Rey M. 13C-mixed triglyceride breath test to assess oral enzyme substitution therapy in patients with chronic pancreatitis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007; 5:484.
- Toskes PP, Hansell J, Cerda J, Deren JJ. Vitamin B 12 malabsorption in chronic pancreatic insufficiency. N Engl J Med 1971; 284:627.
- Twersky Y, Bank S. Nutritional deficiencies in chronic pancreatitis. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 1989; 18:543.
- Afghani E, Sinha A, Singh VK. An overview of the diagnosis and management of nutrition in chronic pancreatitis. Nutr Clin Pract 2014; 29:295.
- Sjoberg RJ, Kidd GS. Pancreatic diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 1989; 12:715.
- Malka D, Hammel P, Sauvanet A, et al. Risk factors for diabetes mellitus in chronic pancreatitis. Gastroenterology 2000; 119:1324.
- Rickels MR, Bellin M, Toledo FG, et al. Detection, evaluation and treatment of diabetes mellitus in chronic pancreatitis: recommendations from PancreasFest 2012. Pancreatology 2013; 13:336.
- Darge K, Anupindi S. Pancreatitis and the role of US, MRCP and ERCP. Pediatr Radiol 2009; 39 Suppl 2:S153.
- Tipnis NA, Dua KS, Werlin SL. A retrospective assessment of magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography in children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2008; 46:59.
- Fitoz S, Erden A, Boruban S. Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography of biliary system abnormalities in children. Clin Imaging 2007; 31:93.
- Arcement CM, Meza MP, Arumanla S, Towbin RB. MRCP in the evaluation of pancreaticobiliary disease in children. Pediatr Radiol 2001; 31:92.
- Delaney L, Applegate KE, Karmazyn B, et al. MR cholangiopancreatography in children: feasibility, safety, and initial experience. Pediatr Radiol 2008; 38:64.
- Schwarzenberg SJ, Bellin M, Husain SZ, et al. Pediatric chronic pancreatitis is associated with genetic risk factors and substantial disease burden. J Pediatr 2015; 166:890.
- Manfredi R, Pozzi Mucelli R. Secretin-enhanced MR Imaging of the Pancreas. Radiology 2016; 279:29.
- Trout AT, Podberesky DJ, Serai SD, et al. Does secretin add value in pediatric magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography? Pediatr Radiol 2013; 43:479.
- Anupindi SA, Chauvin NA, Khwaja A, Biko DM. Magnetic resonance imaging of pancreaticobiliary diseases in children: from technique to practice. Pediatr Radiol 2016; 46:778.
- Varadarajulu S, Wilcox CM, Eloubeidi MA. Impact of EUS in the evaluation of pancreaticobiliary disorders in children. Gastrointest Endosc 2005; 62:239.
- Scheers I, Ergun M, Aouattah T, et al. Diagnostic and Therapeutic Roles of Endoscopic Ultrasound in Pediatric Pancreaticobiliary Disorders. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2015; 61:238.
- Vaughn DD, Jabra AA, Fishman EK. Pancreatic disease in children and young adults: evaluation with CT. Radiographics 1998; 18:1171.
- Fink EN, Kant JA, Whitcomb DC. Genetic counseling for nonsyndromic pancreatitis. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 2007; 36:325.
- Pfützer RH, Barmada MM, Brunskill AP, et al. SPINK1/PSTI polymorphisms act as disease modifiers in familial and idiopathic chronic pancreatitis. Gastroenterology 2000; 119:615.
- Ooi CY, Dorfman R, Cipolli M, et al. Type of CFTR mutation determines risk of pancreatitis in patients with cystic fibrosis. Gastroenterology 2011; 140:153.
- Masson E, Chen JM, Scotet V, et al. Association of rare chymotrypsinogen C (CTRC) gene variations in patients with idiopathic chronic pancreatitis. Hum Genet 2008; 123:83.
- LaRusch J, Solomon S, Whitcomb D. Pancreatitis overview. In: GeneReviews [Internet], Pagon RA, Adam MP, Bird TD, et al. (Eds), University of Washington Seattle, Seattle (WA) 2014.
- Barkin JA, Nemeth Z, Saluja AK, Barkin JS. Cannabis induced acute pancreatitis: A systematic review. Pancreas 2016; 45:1494 (meeting abstract)
- Okazaki K, Chiba T. Autoimmune related pancreatitis. Gut 2002; 51:1.
- Hart PA, Zen Y, Chari ST. Recent Advances in Autoimmune Pancreatitis. Gastroenterology 2015; 149:39.
- CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS
- Abdominal pain
- Pancreatic diabetes
- INITIAL EVALUATION FOR SUSPECTED CHRONIC OR ACUTE RECURRENT PANCREATITIS
- Physical examination
- Laboratory testing
- Initial imaging
- Other tests
- FURTHER EVALUATION FOR THE CAUSE
- Genetic testing
- Toxic-metabolic risk factors
- Autoimmune pancreatitis
- OVERVIEW OF MANAGEMENT
- Therapeutic ERCP
- Pain management
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS