Clinical evaluation of the obese child and adolescent
- William J Klish, MD
William J Klish, MD
- Section Editor — Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Emeritus Professor of Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Section Editors
- Kathleen J Motil, MD, PhD
Kathleen J Motil, MD, PhD
- Section Editor — Pediatric Nutrition
- Professor of Pediatric Nutrition
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Mitchell E Geffner, MD
Mitchell E Geffner, MD
- Section Editor — Pediatric Endocrinology
- Professor of Pediatrics
- Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California
Obesity has become one of the most important public health problems in the United States (figure 1) . As the prevalence of obesity increases, so does the prevalence of the comorbidities associated with obesity . For this reason, it is imperative that health care providers identify overweight and obese children so that counseling and treatment can be provided.
Recommendations, guidelines, and consensus statements for the evaluation and treatment of obese children and adolescents have been published by the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition (NASPGHAN) , an Expert Committee convened by the Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB) of the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) [4,5], the American Heart Association , the United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF)  an international Obesity Consensus Working Group , and the National Association of Children's Hospitals and Related Institutions (NACHRI) , and an expert panel on cardiovascular health from the United States National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) . These and other guidelines are also available through the Society Guidelines link below. (See "Society guideline links: Obesity in children".)
The clinical evaluation of the overweight child and adolescent will be presented here. Other aspects of clinical management of obesity in children are discussed in separate topic reviews:To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Lawman HG, et al. Trends in Obesity Prevalence Among Children and Adolescents in the United States, 1988-1994 Through 2013-2014. JAMA 2016; 315:2292.
- Dietz WH, Robinson TN. Clinical practice. Overweight children and adolescents. N Engl J Med 2005; 352:2100.
- Huang JS, Barlow SE, Quiros-Tejeira RE, et al. Childhood obesity for pediatric gastroenterologists. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2013; 56:99.
- Barlow SE, Expert Committee. Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report. Pediatrics 2007; 120 Suppl 4:S164.
- Krebs NF, Himes JH, Jacobson D, et al. Assessment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity. Pediatrics 2007; 120 Suppl 4:S193.
- Kelly AS, Barlow SE, Rao G, et al. Severe obesity in children and adolescents: identification, associated health risks, and treatment approaches: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2013; 128:1689.
- US Preventive Services Task Force, Grossman DC, Bibbins-Domingo K, et al. Screening for Obesity in Children and Adolescents: US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement. JAMA 2017; 317:2417.
- Speiser PW, Rudolf MC, Anhalt H, et al. Childhood obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90:1871.
- Young KL, Demeule M, Stuhlsatz K, et al. Identification and treatment of obesity as a standard of care for all patients in children's hospitals. Pediatrics 2011; 128 Suppl 2:S47.
- Expert Panel on Integrated Guidelines for Cardiovascular Health and Risk Reduction in Children and Adolescents, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Expert panel on integrated guidelines for cardiovascular health and risk reduction in children and adolescents: summary report. Pediatrics 2011; 128 Suppl 5:S213.
- Dietz WH, Robinson TN. Use of the body mass index (BMI) as a measure of overweight in children and adolescents. J Pediatr 1998; 132:191.
- Deurenberg P, Weststrate JA, Seidell JC. Body mass index as a measure of body fatness: age- and sex-specific prediction formulas. Br J Nutr 1991; 65:105.
- Freedman DS, Wang J, Maynard LM, et al. Relation of BMI to fat and fat-free mass among children and adolescents. Int J Obes (Lond) 2005; 29:1.
- Clarke WR, Woolson RF, Lauer RM. Changes in ponderosity and blood pressure in childhood: the Muscatine Study. Am J Epidemiol 1986; 124:195.
- Gidding SS, Bao W, Srinivasan SR, Berenson GS. Effects of secular trends in obesity on coronary risk factors in children: the Bogalusa Heart Study. J Pediatr 1995; 127:868.
- Freedman DS, Dietz WH, Srinivasan SR, Berenson GS. The relation of overweight to cardiovascular risk factors among children and adolescents: the Bogalusa Heart Study. Pediatrics 1999; 103:1175.
- Raitakari OT, Porkka KV, Räsänen L, et al. Clustering and six year cluster-tracking of serum total cholesterol, HDL-cholesterol and diastolic blood pressure in children and young adults. The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. J Clin Epidemiol 1994; 47:1085.
- Krebs NF, Jacobson MS, American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Nutrition. Prevention of pediatric overweight and obesity. Pediatrics 2003; 112:424.
- Institute of Medicine. Preventing childhood obesity: health in the balance. Institute of Medicine, Washington, D.C., 2004. www.iom.edu/report.asp?id=22596 (Accessed on September 26, 2006).
- Smith SM, Gately P, Rudolf M. Can we recognise obesity clinically? Arch Dis Child 2008; 93:1065.
- Skinner AC, Skelton JA. Prevalence and trends in obesity and severe obesity among children in the United States, 1999-2012. JAMA Pediatr 2014; 168:561.
- Hoppin, AG. Obesity. In: Pediatric Gastrointestinal Disease: Pathopsychology, Diagnosis, Management, 4th ed, Walker, WA, Goulet, O, Kleinman, RE, et al (Eds), BC Decker, Ontario, 2004. p. 311.
- Morgan CM, Yanovski SZ, Nguyen TT, et al. Loss of control over eating, adiposity, and psychopathology in overweight children. Int J Eat Disord 2002; 31:430.
- Kaisari P, Yannakoulia M, Panagiotakos DB. Eating frequency and overweight and obesity in children and adolescents: a meta-analysis. Pediatrics 2013; 131:958.
- Bougnères P, Pantalone L, Linglart A, et al. Endocrine manifestations of the rapid-onset obesity with hypoventilation, hypothalamic, autonomic dysregulation, and neural tumor syndrome in childhood. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93:3971.
- Whitaker RC, Wright JA, Pepe MS, et al. Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity. N Engl J Med 1997; 337:869.
- Blair NJ, Thompson JM, Black PN, et al. Risk factors for obesity in 7-year-old European children: the Auckland Birthweight Collaborative Study. Arch Dis Child 2007; 92:866.
- Reilly JJ, Armstrong J, Dorosty AR, et al. Early life risk factors for obesity in childhood: cohort study. BMJ 2005; 330:1357.
- Rudolf M. Predicting babies' risk of obesity. Arch Dis Child 2011; 96:995.
- Berenson GS, Srinivasan SR, Bao W, et al. Association between multiple cardiovascular risk factors and atherosclerosis in children and young adults. The Bogalusa Heart Study. N Engl J Med 1998; 338:1650.
- Nilsson PM, Lind L, Pollare T, et al. Increased level of hemoglobin A1c, but not impaired insulin sensitivity, found in hypertensive and normotensive smokers. Metabolism 1995; 44:557.
- Axelsen M, Eliasson B, Joheim E, et al. Lipid intolerance in smokers. J Intern Med 1995; 237:449.
- Weitzman M, Cook S, Auinger P, et al. Tobacco smoke exposure is associated with the metabolic syndrome in adolescents. Circulation 2005; 112:862.
- Flynn JT, Kaelber DC, Baker-Smith CM, et al. Clinical Practice Guideline for Screening and Management of High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents. Pediatrics 2017; 140.
- Taylor M, Couto-Silva AC, Adan L, et al. Hypothalamic-pituitary lesions in pediatric patients: endocrine symptoms often precede neuro-ophthalmic presenting symptoms. J Pediatr 2012; 161:855.
- Styne DM, Arslanian SA, Connor EL, et al. Pediatric Obesity-Assessment, Treatment, and Prevention: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2017; 102:709.
- Brara SM, Koebnick C, Porter AH, Langer-Gould A. Pediatric idiopathic intracranial hypertension and extreme childhood obesity. J Pediatr 2012; 161:602.
- Scott CR, Smith JM, Cradock MM, Pihoker C. Characteristics of youth-onset noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus at diagnosis. Pediatrics 1997; 100:84.
- Hud JA Jr, Cohen JB, Wagner JM, Cruz PD Jr. Prevalence and significance of acanthosis nigricans in an adult obese population. Arch Dermatol 1992; 128:941.
- Brickman WJ, Huang J, Silverman BL, Metzger BE. Acanthosis nigricans identifies youth at high risk for metabolic abnormalities. J Pediatr 2010; 156:87.
- Green JS, Parfrey PS, Harnett JD, et al. The cardinal manifestations of Bardet-Biedl syndrome, a form of Laurence-Moon-Biedl syndrome. N Engl J Med 1989; 321:1002.
- Riddiford-Harland DL, Steele JR, Baur LA. Are the feet of obese children fat or flat? Revisiting the debate. Int J Obes (Lond) 2011; 35:115.
- Dowling AM, Steele JR, Baur LA. Does obesity influence foot structure and plantar pressure patterns in prepubescent children? Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2001; 25:845.
- Smotkin-Tangorra M, Purushothaman R, Gupta A, et al. Prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in obese children and adolescents. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2007; 20:817.
- Botella-Carretero JI, Alvarez-Blasco F, Villafruela JJ, et al. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with the metabolic syndrome in morbid obesity. Clin Nutr 2007; 26:573.
- Kelly A, Brooks LJ, Dougherty S, et al. A cross-sectional study of vitamin D and insulin resistance in children. Arch Dis Child 2011; 96:447.
- Turer CB, Lin H, Flores G. Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among overweight and obese US children. Pediatrics 2013; 131:e152.
- Yanovski JA, Cutler GB Jr. Glucocorticoid action and the clinical features of Cushing's syndrome. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 1994; 23:487.
- Reinehr T, de Sousa G, Andler W. Hyperthyrotropinemia in obese children is reversible after weight loss and is not related to lipids. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91:3088.
- Mei Z, Grummer-Strawn LM, Thompson D, Dietz WH. Shifts in percentiles of growth during early childhood: analysis of longitudinal data from the California Child Health and Development Study. Pediatrics 2004; 113:e617.
- Miller LA, Grunwald GK, Johnson SL, Krebs NF. Disease severity at time of referral for pediatric failure to thrive and obesity: time for a paradigm shift? J Pediatr 2002; 141:121.
- Guo SS, Roche AF, Chumlea WC, et al. The predictive value of childhood body mass index values for overweight at age 35 y. Am J Clin Nutr 1994; 59:810.
- Mossberg HO. 40-year follow-up of overweight children. Lancet 1989; 2:491.
- Stark O, Atkins E, Wolff OH, Douglas JW. Longitudinal study of obesity in the National Survey of Health and Development. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1981; 283:13.
- Braddon FE, Rodgers B, Wadsworth ME, Davies JM. Onset of obesity in a 36 year birth cohort study. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1986; 293:299.
- Cunningham SA, Kramer MR, Narayan KM. Incidence of childhood obesity in the United States. N Engl J Med 2014; 370:403.