Classification of sleep disorders
- Brooke G Judd, MD
Brooke G Judd, MD
- Assistant Professor of Psychiatry (Sleep Medicine) and Medicine
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
- Michael J Sateia, MD
Michael J Sateia, MD
- Professor of Psychiatry (Sleep Medicine), Emeritus
- Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Diagnostic classification of sleep disorders is important because it standardizes definitions, improves awareness of the conditions, promotes a broad differential diagnosis, and facilitates a systematic diagnostic approach.
The International Classification of Sleep Disorders (ICSD) is the most widely used classification system for sleep disorders. The third edition of the ICSD (ICSD-3) includes seven major categories of sleep disorders :
●Sleep-related breathing disorders
●Central disorders of hypersomnolence
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. International Classification of Sleep Disorders, 3rd ed, American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Darien, IL 2014.
- Sateia MJ. International classification of sleep disorders-third edition: highlights and modifications. Chest 2014; 146:1387.
- Berry RB, Brooks R, Gamaldo CE, et al for the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications, Version 2.2, www.aasmnet.org, American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Darien, IL 2015.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), American Psychiatric Association, Arlington, VA 2013.
- Chronic insomnia
- Short-term insomnia
- SLEEP-RELATED BREATHING DISORDERS
- Central sleep apnea syndromes
- Obstructive sleep apnea syndromes
- Sleep-related hypoventilation disorders
- CENTRAL DISORDERS OF HYPERSOMNOLENCE
- Idiopathic hypersomnia
- Kleine-Levin syndrome
- Other hypersomnias
- CIRCADIAN RHYTHM SLEEP-WAKE DISORDERS
- NREM-related parasomnias
- REM-related parasomnias
- Other parasomnias
- SLEEP-RELATED MOVEMENT DISORDERS
- Restless legs syndrome/Willis-Ekbom disease
- Periodic limb movement disorder
- OTHER SLEEP DISORDERS
- ISOLATED SYMPTOMS AND NORMAL VARIANTS
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS