- Ivan Garza, MD
Ivan Garza, MD
- Assistant Professor of Neurology
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Todd J Schwedt, MD, MSCI
Todd J Schwedt, MD, MSCI
- Associate Professor
- Department of Neurology
- Mayo Clinic
Chronic daily headache is a descriptive term that encompasses several different specific headache diagnoses characterized by frequent headaches. Chronic daily headache types with individual headaches of long duration (ie, four hours or more) include chronic migraine, chronic tension-type headache, medication overuse headache, hemicrania continua, and new daily persistent headache.
This topic will discuss chronic migraine (previously known as transformed migraine). Other types of chronic daily headache are reviewed elsewhere. (See "Overview of chronic daily headache".)
The pathophysiology of migraine centers on the trigeminovascular system. This is discussed in detail separately. (See "Pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of migraine in adults", section on 'Pathophysiology'.)
Although the pathophysiology of the transformation from episodic to chronic migraine is not well-understood, it is hypothesized that atypical pain processing, cortical hyperexcitability, neurogenic inflammation, and central sensitization are involved . Furthermore, in patients with migraine, functional and structural alterations in the brain have been identified that correlate with longer disease duration and increased headache frequency [2,3]. However, it is not clear whether these alterations lead to chronic migraine. They may be simply markers of transformation or secondary effects from frequent migraines.
Chronic migraine affects approximately 2 percent of the world population . It causes significant reductions in quality of life and is even more disabling than episodic migraine [5-8]. In addition, chronic migraine results in enormous expense to society. In the United States, the direct and indirect costs of migraine are estimated to be more than 20 billion dollars annually, and a significant proportion of this cost is attributable to chronic migraine .
- Schwedt TJ. Chronic migraine. BMJ 2014; 348:g1416.
- Schwedt TJ, Dodick DW. Advanced neuroimaging of migraine. Lancet Neurol 2009; 8:560.
- Aurora SK. Is chronic migraine one end of a spectrum of migraine or a separate entity? Cephalalgia 2009; 29:597.
- Natoli JL, Manack A, Dean B, et al. Global prevalence of chronic migraine: a systematic review. Cephalalgia 2010; 30:599.
- Guitera V, Muñoz P, Castillo J, Pascual J. Quality of life in chronic daily headache: a study in a general population. Neurology 2002; 58:1062.
- D'Amico D, Usai S, Grazzi L, et al. Quality of life and disability in primary chronic daily headaches. Neurol Sci 2003; 24 Suppl 2:S97.
- Harwood RH, Sayer AA, Hirschfeld M. Current and future worldwide prevalence of dependency, its relationship to total population, and dependency ratios. Bull World Health Organ 2004; 82:251.
- Bigal ME, Serrano D, Reed M, Lipton RB. Chronic migraine in the population: burden, diagnosis, and satisfaction with treatment. Neurology 2008; 71:559.
- Stewart WF, Ricci JA, Chee E, et al. Lost productive time and cost due to common pain conditions in the US workforce. JAMA 2003; 290:2443.
- Lipton RB. Tracing transformation: chronic migraine classification, progression, and epidemiology. Neurology 2009; 72:S3.
- Bigal ME, Serrano D, Buse D, et al. Acute migraine medications and evolution from episodic to chronic migraine: a longitudinal population-based study. Headache 2008; 48:1157.
- Scher AI, Stewart WF, Ricci JA, Lipton RB. Factors associated with the onset and remission of chronic daily headache in a population-based study. Pain 2003; 106:81.
- Couch JR, Lipton RB, Stewart WF, Scher AI. Head or neck injury increases the risk of chronic daily headache: a population-based study. Neurology 2007; 69:1169.
- Scher AI, Stewart WF, Lipton RB. Caffeine as a risk factor for chronic daily headache: a population-based study. Neurology 2004; 63:2022.
- Bigal ME, Lipton RB. Modifiable risk factors for migraine progression. Headache 2006; 46:1334.
- Bigal ME, Lipton RB. Clinical course in migraine: conceptualizing migraine transformation. Neurology 2008; 71:848.
- Louter MA, Bosker JE, van Oosterhout WP, et al. Cutaneous allodynia as a predictor of migraine chronification. Brain 2013; 136:3489.
- Scher AI, Midgette LA, Lipton RB. Risk factors for headache chronification. Headache 2008; 48:16.
- Lipton RB, Fanning KM, Serrano D, et al. Ineffective acute treatment of episodic migraine is associated with new-onset chronic migraine. Neurology 2015; 84:688.
- Tietjen GE, Brandes JL, Digre KB, et al. High prevalence of somatic symptoms and depression in women with disabling chronic headache. Neurology 2007; 68:134.
- Juang KD, Wang SJ, Fuh JL, et al. Comorbidity of depressive and anxiety disorders in chronic daily headache and its subtypes. Headache 2000; 40:818.
- Peres MF, Zukerman E, Young WB, Silberstein SD. Fatigue in chronic migraine patients. Cephalalgia 2002; 22:720.
- Peres MF, Young WB, Kaup AO, et al. Fibromyalgia is common in patients with transformed migraine. Neurology 2001; 57:1326.
- Kelman L, Rains JC. Headache and sleep: examination of sleep patterns and complaints in a large clinical sample of migraineurs. Headache 2005; 45:904.
- Ferrari A, Leone S, Vergoni AV, et al. Similarities and differences between chronic migraine and episodic migraine. Headache 2007; 47:65.
- Buse DC, Manack A, Serrano D, et al. Sociodemographic and comorbidity profiles of chronic migraine and episodic migraine sufferers. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2010; 81:428.
- Minen MT, Begasse De Dhaem O, Kroon Van Diest A, et al. Migraine and its psychiatric comorbidities. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2016; 87:741.
- Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society (IHS). The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition (beta version). Cephalalgia 2013; 33:629.
- Dodick DW. Clinical practice. Chronic daily headache. N Engl J Med 2006; 354:158.
- Silberstein SD, Lipton RB, Dodick DW, et al. Efficacy and safety of topiramate for the treatment of chronic migraine: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Headache 2007; 47:170.
- Diener HC, Bussone G, Van Oene JC, et al. Topiramate reduces headache days in chronic migraine: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Cephalalgia 2007; 27:814.
- Silvestrini M, Bartolini M, Coccia M, et al. Topiramate in the treatment of chronic migraine. Cephalalgia 2003; 23:820.
- Saper JR, Lake AE 3rd, Cantrell DT, et al. Chronic daily headache prophylaxis with tizanidine: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter outcome study. Headache 2002; 42:470.
- Yurekli VA, Akhan G, Kutluhan S, et al. The effect of sodium valproate on chronic daily headache and its subgroups. J Headache Pain 2008; 9:37.
- Spira PJ, Beran RG, Australian Gabapentin Chronic Daily Headache Group. Gabapentin in the prophylaxis of chronic daily headache: a randomized, placebo-controlled study. Neurology 2003; 61:1753.
- Magalhães E, Menezes C, Cardeal M, Melo A. Botulinum toxin type A versus amitriptyline for the treatment of chronic daily migraine. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2010; 112:463.
- Calandre EP, Garcia-Leiva JM, Rico-Villademoros F, et al. Pregabalin in the treatment of chronic migraine: an open-label study. Clin Neuropharmacol 2010; 33:35.
- Edvardsson B. Atenolol in the prophylaxis of chronic migraine: a 3-month open-label study. Springerplus 2013; 2:479.
- Pascual-Gómez J, Alañá-García M, Oterino A, et al. [Preventive treatment of chronic migraine with zonisamide: a study in patients who are refractory or intolerant to topiramate]. Rev Neurol 2008; 47:449.
- Bigal M, Rapoport A, Sheftell F, et al. Memantine in the preventive treatment of refractory migraine. Headache 2008; 48:1337.
- Freitag FG, Diamond S, Diamond M, Urban G. Botulinum Toxin Type A in the treatment of chronic migraine without medication overuse. Headache 2008; 48:201.
- Mathew NT, Frishberg BM, Gawel M, et al. Botulinum toxin type A (BOTOX) for the prophylactic treatment of chronic daily headache: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Headache 2005; 45:293.
- Silberstein SD, Stark SR, Lucas SM, et al. Botulinum toxin type A for the prophylactic treatment of chronic daily headache: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Mayo Clin Proc 2005; 80:1126.
- Aurora SK, Dodick DW, Turkel CC, et al. OnabotulinumtoxinA for treatment of chronic migraine: results from the double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled phase of the PREEMPT 1 trial. Cephalalgia 2010; 30:793.
- Diener HC, Dodick DW, Aurora SK, et al. OnabotulinumtoxinA for treatment of chronic migraine: results from the double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled phase of the PREEMPT 2 trial. Cephalalgia 2010; 30:804.
- Dodick DW, Turkel CC, DeGryse RE, et al. OnabotulinumtoxinA for treatment of chronic migraine: pooled results from the double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled phases of the PREEMPT clinical program. Headache 2010; 50:921.
- Lipton RB, Varon SF, Grosberg B, et al. OnabotulinumtoxinA improves quality of life and reduces impact of chronic migraine. Neurology 2011; 77:1465.
- Schoenen J. Botulinum toxin in headache treatment: finally a promising path? Cephalalgia 2010; 30:771.
- Kelman L. The triggers or precipitants of the acute migraine attack. Cephalalgia 2007; 27:394.
- Silberstein SD. Practice parameter: evidence-based guidelines for migraine headache (an evidence-based review): report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 2000; 55:754.
- Saper JR, Dodick DW, Silberstein SD, et al. Occipital nerve stimulation for the treatment of intractable chronic migraine headache: ONSTIM feasibility study. Cephalalgia 2011; 31:271.
- Silberstein SD, Dodick DW, Saper J, et al. Safety and efficacy of peripheral nerve stimulation of the occipital nerves for the management of chronic migraine: results from a randomized, multicenter, double-blinded, controlled study. Cephalalgia 2012; 32:1165.
- Schwedt TJ. Occipital nerve stimulation for chronic migraine--interpreting the ONSTIM feasibility trial. Cephalalgia 2011; 31:262.
- Diener HC. Occipital nerve stimulation for chronic migraine: already advised? Cephalalgia 2012; 32:1163.
- Seok JI, Cho HI, Chung CS. From transformed migraine to episodic migraine: reversion factors. Headache 2006; 46:1186.
- Manack A, Buse DC, Serrano D, et al. Rates, predictors, and consequences of remission from chronic migraine to episodic migraine. Neurology 2011; 76:711.
- CLINICAL FEATURES
- Comorbid conditions
- - First-line agents
- - Second- and third-line agents
- - Choosing an agent
- Nonpharmacologic therapy
- - Avoidance of migraine triggers
- - Behavioral and physical therapy
- - Occipital nerve stimulation
- SOCIETY GUIDELINE LINKS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS