UpToDate
Official reprint from UpToDate®
www.uptodate.com ©2017 UpToDate, Inc. and/or its affiliates. All Rights Reserved.

Medline ® Abstract for Reference 25

of 'Chagas heart disease: Treatment and prognosis'

25
TI
Predictors of all-cause mortality for patients with chronic Chagas' heart disease receiving implantable cardioverter defibrillator therapy.
AU
Cardinalli-Neto A, Bestetti RB, Cordeiro JA, Rodrigues VC
SO
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2007;18(12):1236.
 
BACKGROUND: Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators (ICD) have sporadically been used in the treatment of either Sustained Ventricular Tachycardia (VT) or Ventricular Fibrillation (VF) in Chagas' disease patients. This study aimed at determining predictors of all-cause mortality for Chagas' disease patients receiving ICD therapy.
METHODS AND RESULTS: Ninety consecutive patients were entered the study. Mean left ventricular ejection fraction was 47 +/- 13%. Twenty-five (28%) patients had no left ventricular systolic dysfunction. After device implantation, all patients were given amiodarone (mean daily dose = 331, 1 +/- 153,3 mg), whereas a B-Blocking agent was given to 37 (40%) out of 90 patients.
RESULTS: A total of 4,274 arrhythmias were observed on stored electrogram in 64 (71%) out of 90 patients during the study period; SVT was observed in 45 out of 64 (70%) patients, and VF in 19 (30%) out of 64 patients. Twenty-six (29%) out of 90 patients had no arrhythmia. Fifty-eight (64%) out of 90 patients received appropriate shock, whereas Antitachycardia Pacing was delivered to 58 (64%) out of 90 patients. There were 31 (34%) deaths during the study period. Five patients were lost to follow up. Sudden cardiac death affected 2 (7%) out of 26 patients, whereas pump failure death was detected in the remaining 24 (93%) patients. Number of shocks per patient per 30 days was the only independent predictor of mortality.
CONCLUSION: Number of shocks per patient per 30 days predicts outcome in Chagas' disease patients treated with ICD.
AD
Department of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hospital de Base, São Josédo Rio Preto Medical School, São Josédo Rio Preto, Brazil.
PMID