- Tahaniyat Lalani, MBBS, MHS
Tahaniyat Lalani, MBBS, MHS
- Associate Professor
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
- John C Murray, MD
John C Murray, MD
- Professor of Medicine (Dermatology)
- Duke University Medical Center
Botryomycosis is a chronic suppurative infection characterized by a granulomatous inflammatory response to bacterial pathogens; it may present with cutaneous or, less commonly, visceral involvement . Botryomycosis was first described in a horse in 1870 by a German pathologist. The name "botryomycosis" was coined in 1884, but its bacterial nature was not discovered until 1919 . The term "botryomycosis" is derived from the Greek word "botrys" (meaning "bunch of grapes") and "mycosis" (a misnomer, due to the presumed fungal etiology in early descriptions). Other terms used to describe botryomycosis include bacterial pseudomycosis, staphylococcal actinophytosis, granular bacteriosis, and actinobacillosis.
Botryomycosis is a relatively uncommon disease, and its description is limited to case reports in children and adults. It occurs more commonly among immunocompromised patients, although infection in immunocompetent patients has also been described . The specific role of the host immune response is not fully understood [4-6].
Risk factors associated with botryomycosis include [4,5,7-11]:
●Diabetes mellitusTo continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- WINSLOW DJ. Botryomycosis. Am J Pathol 1959; 35:153.
- Bersoff-Matcha SJ, Roper CC, Liapis H, Little JR. Primary pulmonary botryomycosis: case report and review. Clin Infect Dis 1998; 26:620.
- Williams RH, Kattih M, Boyd WP, Morgan MB. Cecal botryomycosis: case report and review. Gastrointest Endosc 2003; 57:783.
- Brunken RC, Lichon-Chao N, van der Broek H. Immunologic abnormalities in botryomycosis. A case report with review of the literature. J Am Acad Dermatol 1983; 9:428.
- Patterson JW, Kitces EN, Neafie RC. Cutaneous botryomycosis in a patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. J Am Acad Dermatol 1987; 16:238.
- Buescher ES, Hebert A, Rapini RP. Staphylococcal botryomycosis in a patient with the hyperimmunoglobulin E-recurrent infection syndrome. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1988; 7:431.
- Yörükoğlu K, Ozer E, Sade M, et al. Renal botryomycosis mimicking renal cell carcinoma. J Urol 1998; 159:2076.
- Katapadi K, Pujol F, Vuletin JC, et al. Pulmonary botryomycosis in a patient with AIDS. Chest 1996; 109:276.
- Paz HL, Little BJ, Ball WC Jr, Winkelstein JA. Primary pulmonary botryomycosis. A manifestation of chronic granulomatous disease. Chest 1992; 101:1160.
- Hacker P. Botryomycosis. Int J Dermatol 1983; 22:455.
- Olmstead PM, Finn M. Botryomycosis in pierced ears. Arch Dermatol 1982; 118:925.
- Hodgson R, Blackmore SA, Clarke CP. Pulmonary botryomycosis: a difficult diagnosis in the preoperative patient. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2005; 130:924.
- Magrou J. Les formes actinomycotiques du staphylocoque. Annales de l'Institute Pasteur 1919; 33:344.
- Shults FS, Estes PC, Franklin JA, Richter CB. Staphylococcal botryomycosis in a specific-pathogen-free mouse colony. Lab Anim Sci 1973; 23:36.
- A diabetic man with a palpable abdominal wall mass. Clin Infect Dis 2006; 42:1157.
- Mehregan DA, Su WP, Anhalt JP. Cutaneous botryomycosis. J Am Acad Dermatol 1991; 24:393.
- Machado CR, Schubach AO, Conceição-Silva F, et al. Botryomycosis. Dermatology 2005; 211:303.
- Neafie RC, Marty AM. Unusual infections in humans. Clin Microbiol Rev 1993; 6:34.
- Small IA, Kobernick S. Botryomycosis of the tongue. Report of a case. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1967; 24:503.
- de Vries HJ, van Noesel CJ, Hoekzema R, Hulsebosch HJ. Botryomycosis in an HIV-positive subject. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2003; 17:87.
- Salvemini JN, Baldwin HE. Botryomycosis in a patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Cutis 1995; 56:158.
- Kathir K, Dennis C. Primary pulmonary botryomycosis: an important differential diagnosis for lung cancer. Respirology 2001; 6:347.
- Vasishta RK, Gupta N, Kakkar N. Botryomycosis--a series of six integumentary or visceral cases from India. Ann Trop Med Parasitol 2004; 98:623.
- Wu WQ, Cattaneo EA, Lapi A, Halde C. Botryomycosis: first report of human brain involvement. South Med J 1978; 71:1530.
- Gillock CB, Sahni KS, Mumaw VR, Meier FA. Cerebral botryomycosis: case study. J Infect Dis 1990; 162:765.
- Font RL, Hunts JH. Botryomycosis of limbal conjunctiva with Splendore-Hoeppli phenomenon. Arch Ophthalmol 1996; 114:1006.
- Schlossberg D, Pandey M, Reddy R. The Splendore-Hoeppli phenomenon in hepatic botryomycosis. J Clin Pathol 1998; 51:399.