Bone disease in diabetes mellitus
- Lesley D Hordon, MD
Lesley D Hordon, MD
- Consultant in Rheumatology
- University of Leeds, United Kingdom
- Section Editors
- David M Nathan, MD
David M Nathan, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Endocrinology
- Section Editor — Diabetes Mellitus
- Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Marc K Drezner, MD
Marc K Drezner, MD
- Section Editor — Bone Disease
- Professor of Medicine
- University of Wisconsin Medical School
The association between diabetes mellitus and osteoporosis remains controversial . Although the metabolic abnormalities of diabetes potentially affect bone metabolism, structure, and mineral density, the extent of their contribution to the increase in fracture risk noted in individuals with type 1 and type 2 diabetes is still debated. In addition to changes in bone metabolism, there are several other factors that may be important:
●The onset of diabetes in adolescence may result in a decreased peak bone mass.
●The degree of bone loss differs between type 1 and type 2 diabetes. In some studies, type 2 diabetes has been associated with an increase in bone mineral density (BMD) .
●Bone fragility, particularly in type 2 diabetes, may contribute to fracture risk independent of BMD, and BMD may not reflect fracture risk in some individuals.
●Bone metabolism may be affected by the late complications of diabetes (eg, renal failure).
- Bouillon R. Diabetic bone disease. Calcif Tissue Int 1991; 49:155.
- Tuominen JT, Impivaara O, Puukka P, Rönnemaa T. Bone mineral density in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 1999; 22:1196.
- McNair P. Bone mineral metabolism in human type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes mellitus. Dan Med Bull 1988; 35:109.
- Pedrazzoni M, Ciotti G, Pioli G, et al. Osteocalcin levels in diabetic subjects. Calcif Tissue Int 1989; 45:331.
- Olmos JM, Pérez-Castrillón JL, García MT, et al. Bone densitometry and biochemical bone remodeling markers in type 1 diabetes mellitus. Bone Miner 1994; 26:1.
- Selby PL, Shearing PA, Marshall SM. Hydroxyproline excretion is increased in diabetes mellitus and related to the presence of microalbuminuria. Diabet Med 1995; 12:240.
- Andress DL, Kopp JB, Maloney NA, et al. Early deposition of aluminum in bone in diabetic patients on hemodialysis. N Engl J Med 1987; 316:292.
- Pei Y, Hercz G, Greenwood C, et al. Renal osteodystrophy in diabetic patients. Kidney Int 1993; 44:159.
- Vincenti F, Arnaud SB, Recker R, et al. Parathyroid and bone response of the diabetic patient to uremia. Kidney Int 1984; 25:677.
- Vincenti F, Hattner R, Amend WJ Jr, et al. Decreased secondary hyperparathyroidism in diabetic patients receiving hemodialysis. JAMA 1981; 245:930.
- Jara A, Bover J, Felsenfeld AJ. Development of secondary hyperparathyroidism and bone disease in diabetic rats with renal failure. Kidney Int 1995; 47:1746.
- Epstein S, Leroith D. Diabetes and fragility fractures - a burgeoning epidemic? Bone 2008; 43:3.
- Krakauer JC, McKenna MJ, Buderer NF, et al. Bone loss and bone turnover in diabetes. Diabetes 1995; 44:775.
- Verhaeghe J, Suiker AM, Einhorn TA, et al. Brittle bones in spontaneously diabetic female rats cannot be predicted by bone mineral measurements: studies in diabetic and ovariectomized rats. J Bone Miner Res 1994; 9:1657.
- Raskin P, Stevenson MR, Barilla DE, Pak CY. The hypercalciuria of diabetes mellitus: its amelioration with insulin. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1978; 9:329.
- Thalassinos NC, Hadjiyanni P, Tzanela M, et al. Calcium metabolism in diabetes mellitus: effect of improved blood glucose control. Diabet Med 1993; 10:341.
- Hui SL, Epstein S, Johnston CC Jr. A prospective study of bone mass in patients with type I diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1985; 60:74.
- Weber G, Beccaria L, de'Angelis M, et al. Bone mass in young patients with type I diabetes. Bone Miner 1990; 8:23.
- Lettgen B, Hauffa B, Möhlmann C, et al. Bone mineral density in children and adolescents with juvenile diabetes: selective measurement of bone mineral density of trabecular and cortical bone using peripheral quantitative computed tomography. Horm Res 1995; 43:173.
- Ponder SW, McCormick DP, Fawcett HD, et al. Bone mineral density of the lumbar vertebrae in children and adolescents with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Pediatr 1992; 120:541.
- Compston JE, Smith EM, Matthews C, Schofield P. Whole body composition and regional bone mass in women with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1994; 41:289.
- Forst T, Pfützner A, Kann P, et al. Peripheral osteopenia in adult patients with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Diabet Med 1995; 12:874.
- Mastrandrea LD, Wactawski-Wende J, Donahue RP, et al. Young women with type 1 diabetes have lower bone mineral density that persists over time. Diabetes Care 2008; 31:1729.
- Kayath MJ, Dib SA, Vieira JG. Prevalence and magnitude of osteopenia associated with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Diabetes Complications 1994; 8:97.
- Gallacher SJ, Fenner JA, Fisher BM, et al. An evaluation of bone density and turnover in premenopausal women with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diabet Med 1993; 10:129.
- Rishaug U, Birkeland KI, Falch JA, Vaaler S. Bone mass in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 1995; 55:257.
- Wakasugi M, Wakao R, Tawata M, et al. Bone mineral density measured by dual energy x-ray absorptiometry in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Bone 1993; 14:29.
- Barrett-Connor E, Holbrook TL. Sex differences in osteoporosis in older adults with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. JAMA 1992; 268:3333.
- van Daele PL, Stolk RP, Burger H, et al. Bone density in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. The Rotterdam Study. Ann Intern Med 1995; 122:409.
- Melton LJ 3rd, Riggs BL, Leibson CL, et al. A bone structural basis for fracture risk in diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93:4804.
- Strotmeyer ES, Cauley JA, Schwartz AV, et al. Diabetes is associated independently of body composition with BMD and bone volume in older white and black men and women: The Health, Aging, and Body Composition Study. J Bone Miner Res 2004; 19:1084.
- Burghardt AJ, Issever AS, Schwartz AV, et al. High-resolution peripheral quantitative computed tomographic imaging of cortical and trabecular bone microarchitecture in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010; 95:5045.
- Heath H 3rd, Melton LJ 3rd, Chu CP. Diabetes mellitus and risk of skeletal fracture. N Engl J Med 1980; 303:567.
- Dobnig H, Piswanger-Sölkner JC, Roth M, et al. Type 2 diabetes mellitus in nursing home patients: effects on bone turnover, bone mass, and fracture risk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91:3355.
- Paganini-Hill A, Ross RK, Gerkins VR, et al. Menopausal estrogen therapy and hip fractures. Ann Intern Med 1981; 95:28.
- Meyer HE, Tverdal A, Falch JA. Risk factors for hip fracture in middle-aged Norwegian women and men. Am J Epidemiol 1993; 137:1203.
- Kelsey JL, Browner WS, Seeley DG, et al. Risk factors for fractures of the distal forearm and proximal humerus. The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Am J Epidemiol 1992; 135:477.
- Cundy TF, Edmonds ME, Watkins PJ. Osteopenia and metatarsal fractures in diabetic neuropathy. Diabet Med 1985; 2:461.
- Wolf SK. Diabetes mellitus and predisposition to athletic pedal fracture. J Foot Ankle Surg 1998; 37:16.
- Schwartz AV, Sellmeyer DE, Ensrud KE, et al. Older women with diabetes have an increased risk of fracture: a prospective study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001; 86:32.
- Nicodemus KK, Folsom AR, Iowa Women's Health Study. Type 1 and type 2 diabetes and incident hip fractures in postmenopausal women. Diabetes Care 2001; 24:1192.
- Ivers RQ, Cumming RG, Mitchell P, et al. Diabetes and risk of fracture: The Blue Mountains Eye Study. Diabetes Care 2001; 24:1198.
- Vestergaard P, Rejnmark L, Mosekilde L. Relative fracture risk in patients with diabetes mellitus, and the impact of insulin and oral antidiabetic medication on relative fracture risk. Diabetologia 2005; 48:1292.
- Vestergaard P. Discrepancies in bone mineral density and fracture risk in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes--a meta-analysis. Osteoporos Int 2007; 18:427.
- Bonds DE, Larson JC, Schwartz AV, et al. Risk of fracture in women with type 2 diabetes: the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91:3404.
- Strotmeyer ES, Cauley JA, Schwartz AV, et al. Nontraumatic fracture risk with diabetes mellitus and impaired fasting glucose in older white and black adults: the health, aging, and body composition study. Arch Intern Med 2005; 165:1612.
- Lipscombe LL, Jamal SA, Booth GL, Hawker GA. The risk of hip fractures in older individuals with diabetes: a population-based study. Diabetes Care 2007; 30:835.
- Melton LJ 3rd, Leibson CL, Achenbach SJ, et al. Fracture risk in type 2 diabetes: update of a population-based study. J Bone Miner Res 2008; 23:1334.
- Yamamoto M, Yamaguchi T, Yamauchi M, et al. Diabetic patients have an increased risk of vertebral fractures independent of BMD or diabetic complications. J Bone Miner Res 2009; 24:702.
- Vestergaard P, Rejnmark L, Mosekilde L. Diabetes and its complications and their relationship with risk of fractures in type 1 and 2 diabetes. Calcif Tissue Int 2009; 84:45.
- Napoli N, Strotmeyer ES, Ensrud KE, et al. Fracture risk in diabetic elderly men: the MrOS study. Diabetologia 2014; 57:2057.
- Janghorbani M, Van Dam RM, Willett WC, Hu FB. Systematic review of type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus and risk of fracture. Am J Epidemiol 2007; 166:495.
- Schwartz AV, Hillier TA, Sellmeyer DE, et al. Older women with diabetes have a higher risk of falls: a prospective study. Diabetes Care 2002; 25:1749.
- Leslie WD, Lix LM, Prior HJ, et al. Biphasic fracture risk in diabetes: a population-based study. Bone 2007; 40:1595.
- Schwartz AV, Vittinghoff E, Bauer DC, et al. Association of BMD and FRAX score with risk of fracture in older adults with type 2 diabetes. JAMA 2011; 305:2184.
- Giangregorio LM, Leslie WD, Lix LM, et al. FRAX underestimates fracture risk in patients with diabetes. J Bone Miner Res 2012; 27:301.
- Leslie WD, Rubin MR, Schwartz AV, Kanis JA. Type 2 diabetes and bone. J Bone Miner Res 2012; 27:2231.
- Cozen L. Does diabetes delay fracture healing? Clin Orthop Relat Res 1972; 82:134.
- Loder RT. The influence of diabetes mellitus on the healing of closed fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1988; :210.
- Keegan TH, Schwartz AV, Bauer DC, et al. Effect of alendronate on bone mineral density and biochemical markers of bone turnover in type 2 diabetic women: the fracture intervention trial. Diabetes Care 2004; 27:1547.
- Vestergaard P, Rejnmark L, Mosekilde L. Are antiresorptive drugs effective against fractures in patients with diabetes? Calcif Tissue Int 2011; 88:209.
- Lunt H. Women and diabetes. Diabet Med 1996; 13:1009.
- Räkel A, Sheehy O, Rahme E, LeLorier J. Osteoporosis among patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Metab 2008; 34:193.