Bone disease in diabetes mellitus
- Lesley D Hordon, MD
Lesley D Hordon, MD
- Consultant in Rheumatology
- University of Leeds, United Kingdom
- Section Editors
- David M Nathan, MD
David M Nathan, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Endocrinology
- Section Editor — Diabetes Mellitus
- Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Marc K Drezner, MD
Marc K Drezner, MD
- Section Editor — Bone Disease
- Professor of Medicine
- University of Wisconsin Medical School
The association between diabetes mellitus and osteoporosis remains controversial . Although the metabolic abnormalities of diabetes potentially affect bone metabolism, structure, and mineral density, the extent of their contribution to the increase in fracture risk noted in individuals with type 1 and type 2 diabetes is still debated. In addition to changes in bone metabolism, there are several other factors that may be important:
●The onset of diabetes in adolescence may result in a decreased peak bone mass.
●The degree of bone loss differs between type 1 and type 2 diabetes. In some studies, type 2 diabetes has been associated with an increase in bone mineral density (BMD) .
●Bone fragility, particularly in type 2 diabetes, may contribute to fracture risk independent of BMD, and BMD may not reflect fracture risk in some individuals.
●Bone metabolism may be affected by the late complications of diabetes (eg, renal failure).To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Bouillon R. Diabetic bone disease. Calcif Tissue Int 1991; 49:155.
- Tuominen JT, Impivaara O, Puukka P, Rönnemaa T. Bone mineral density in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 1999; 22:1196.
- McNair P. Bone mineral metabolism in human type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes mellitus. Dan Med Bull 1988; 35:109.
- Hygum K, Starup-Linde J, Harsløf T, et al. MECHANISMS IN ENDOCRINOLOGY: Diabetes mellitus, a state of low bone turnover - a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Endocrinol 2017; 176:R137.
- Andress DL, Kopp JB, Maloney NA, et al. Early deposition of aluminum in bone in diabetic patients on hemodialysis. N Engl J Med 1987; 316:292.
- Pei Y, Hercz G, Greenwood C, et al. Renal osteodystrophy in diabetic patients. Kidney Int 1993; 44:159.
- Vincenti F, Arnaud SB, Recker R, et al. Parathyroid and bone response of the diabetic patient to uremia. Kidney Int 1984; 25:677.
- Vincenti F, Hattner R, Amend WJ Jr, et al. Decreased secondary hyperparathyroidism in diabetic patients receiving hemodialysis. JAMA 1981; 245:930.
- Jara A, Bover J, Felsenfeld AJ. Development of secondary hyperparathyroidism and bone disease in diabetic rats with renal failure. Kidney Int 1995; 47:1746.
- Epstein S, Leroith D. Diabetes and fragility fractures - a burgeoning epidemic? Bone 2008; 43:3.
- Krakauer JC, McKenna MJ, Buderer NF, et al. Bone loss and bone turnover in diabetes. Diabetes 1995; 44:775.
- Farlay D, Armas LA, Gineyts E, et al. Nonenzymatic Glycation and Degree of Mineralization Are Higher in Bone From Fractured Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. J Bone Miner Res 2016; 31:190.
- Verhaeghe J, Suiker AM, Einhorn TA, et al. Brittle bones in spontaneously diabetic female rats cannot be predicted by bone mineral measurements: studies in diabetic and ovariectomized rats. J Bone Miner Res 1994; 9:1657.
- Raskin P, Stevenson MR, Barilla DE, Pak CY. The hypercalciuria of diabetes mellitus: its amelioration with insulin. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1978; 9:329.
- Thalassinos NC, Hadjiyanni P, Tzanela M, et al. Calcium metabolism in diabetes mellitus: effect of improved blood glucose control. Diabet Med 1993; 10:341.
- Hui SL, Epstein S, Johnston CC Jr. A prospective study of bone mass in patients with type I diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1985; 60:74.
- Weber G, Beccaria L, de'Angelis M, et al. Bone mass in young patients with type I diabetes. Bone Miner 1990; 8:23.
- Parthasarathy LS, Khadilkar VV, Chiplonkar SA, et al. Bone status of Indian children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Bone 2016; 82:16.
- Lettgen B, Hauffa B, Möhlmann C, et al. Bone mineral density in children and adolescents with juvenile diabetes: selective measurement of bone mineral density of trabecular and cortical bone using peripheral quantitative computed tomography. Horm Res 1995; 43:173.
- Ponder SW, McCormick DP, Fawcett HD, et al. Bone mineral density of the lumbar vertebrae in children and adolescents with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Pediatr 1992; 120:541.
- Compston JE, Smith EM, Matthews C, Schofield P. Whole body composition and regional bone mass in women with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1994; 41:289.
- Forst T, Pfützner A, Kann P, et al. Peripheral osteopenia in adult patients with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Diabet Med 1995; 12:874.
- Mastrandrea LD, Wactawski-Wende J, Donahue RP, et al. Young women with type 1 diabetes have lower bone mineral density that persists over time. Diabetes Care 2008; 31:1729.
- Kayath MJ, Dib SA, Vieira JG. Prevalence and magnitude of osteopenia associated with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Diabetes Complications 1994; 8:97.
- Gallacher SJ, Fenner JA, Fisher BM, et al. An evaluation of bone density and turnover in premenopausal women with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diabet Med 1993; 10:129.
- Olmos JM, Pérez-Castrillón JL, García MT, et al. Bone densitometry and biochemical bone remodeling markers in type 1 diabetes mellitus. Bone Miner 1994; 26:1.
- Rishaug U, Birkeland KI, Falch JA, Vaaler S. Bone mass in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 1995; 55:257.
- Wakasugi M, Wakao R, Tawata M, et al. Bone mineral density measured by dual energy x-ray absorptiometry in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Bone 1993; 14:29.
- Barrett-Connor E, Holbrook TL. Sex differences in osteoporosis in older adults with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. JAMA 1992; 268:3333.
- van Daele PL, Stolk RP, Burger H, et al. Bone density in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. The Rotterdam Study. Ann Intern Med 1995; 122:409.
- Melton LJ 3rd, Riggs BL, Leibson CL, et al. A bone structural basis for fracture risk in diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93:4804.
- Strotmeyer ES, Cauley JA, Schwartz AV, et al. Diabetes is associated independently of body composition with BMD and bone volume in older white and black men and women: The Health, Aging, and Body Composition Study. J Bone Miner Res 2004; 19:1084.
- Burghardt AJ, Issever AS, Schwartz AV, et al. High-resolution peripheral quantitative computed tomographic imaging of cortical and trabecular bone microarchitecture in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010; 95:5045.
- Shanbhogue VV, Hansen S, Frost M, et al. Compromised cortical bone compartment in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients with microvascular disease. Eur J Endocrinol 2016; 174:115.
- Heath H 3rd, Melton LJ 3rd, Chu CP. Diabetes mellitus and risk of skeletal fracture. N Engl J Med 1980; 303:567.
- Dobnig H, Piswanger-Sölkner JC, Roth M, et al. Type 2 diabetes mellitus in nursing home patients: effects on bone turnover, bone mass, and fracture risk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91:3355.
- Paganini-Hill A, Ross RK, Gerkins VR, et al. Menopausal estrogen therapy and hip fractures. Ann Intern Med 1981; 95:28.
- Meyer HE, Tverdal A, Falch JA. Risk factors for hip fracture in middle-aged Norwegian women and men. Am J Epidemiol 1993; 137:1203.
- Kelsey JL, Browner WS, Seeley DG, et al. Risk factors for fractures of the distal forearm and proximal humerus. The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Am J Epidemiol 1992; 135:477.
- Cundy TF, Edmonds ME, Watkins PJ. Osteopenia and metatarsal fractures in diabetic neuropathy. Diabet Med 1985; 2:461.
- Wolf SK. Diabetes mellitus and predisposition to athletic pedal fracture. J Foot Ankle Surg 1998; 37:16.
- Schwartz AV, Sellmeyer DE, Ensrud KE, et al. Older women with diabetes have an increased risk of fracture: a prospective study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001; 86:32.
- Nicodemus KK, Folsom AR, Iowa Women's Health Study. Type 1 and type 2 diabetes and incident hip fractures in postmenopausal women. Diabetes Care 2001; 24:1192.
- Ivers RQ, Cumming RG, Mitchell P, et al. Diabetes and risk of fracture: The Blue Mountains Eye Study. Diabetes Care 2001; 24:1198.
- Vestergaard P, Rejnmark L, Mosekilde L. Relative fracture risk in patients with diabetes mellitus, and the impact of insulin and oral antidiabetic medication on relative fracture risk. Diabetologia 2005; 48:1292.
- Vestergaard P. Discrepancies in bone mineral density and fracture risk in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes--a meta-analysis. Osteoporos Int 2007; 18:427.
- Bonds DE, Larson JC, Schwartz AV, et al. Risk of fracture in women with type 2 diabetes: the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91:3404.
- Strotmeyer ES, Cauley JA, Schwartz AV, et al. Nontraumatic fracture risk with diabetes mellitus and impaired fasting glucose in older white and black adults: the health, aging, and body composition study. Arch Intern Med 2005; 165:1612.
- Lipscombe LL, Jamal SA, Booth GL, Hawker GA. The risk of hip fractures in older individuals with diabetes: a population-based study. Diabetes Care 2007; 30:835.
- Melton LJ 3rd, Leibson CL, Achenbach SJ, et al. Fracture risk in type 2 diabetes: update of a population-based study. J Bone Miner Res 2008; 23:1334.
- Yamamoto M, Yamaguchi T, Yamauchi M, et al. Diabetic patients have an increased risk of vertebral fractures independent of BMD or diabetic complications. J Bone Miner Res 2009; 24:702.
- Vestergaard P, Rejnmark L, Mosekilde L. Diabetes and its complications and their relationship with risk of fractures in type 1 and 2 diabetes. Calcif Tissue Int 2009; 84:45.
- Napoli N, Strotmeyer ES, Ensrud KE, et al. Fracture risk in diabetic elderly men: the MrOS study. Diabetologia 2014; 57:2057.
- Janghorbani M, Van Dam RM, Willett WC, Hu FB. Systematic review of type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus and risk of fracture. Am J Epidemiol 2007; 166:495.
- Schwartz AV, Hillier TA, Sellmeyer DE, et al. Older women with diabetes have a higher risk of falls: a prospective study. Diabetes Care 2002; 25:1749.
- Leslie WD, Lix LM, Prior HJ, et al. Biphasic fracture risk in diabetes: a population-based study. Bone 2007; 40:1595.
- Li CI, Liu CS, Lin WY, et al. Glycated Hemoglobin Level and Risk of Hip Fracture in Older People with Type 2 Diabetes: A Competing Risk Analysis of Taiwan Diabetes Cohort Study. J Bone Miner Res 2015; 30:1338.
- Schwartz AV, Vittinghoff E, Bauer DC, et al. Association of BMD and FRAX score with risk of fracture in older adults with type 2 diabetes. JAMA 2011; 305:2184.
- Giangregorio LM, Leslie WD, Lix LM, et al. FRAX underestimates fracture risk in patients with diabetes. J Bone Miner Res 2012; 27:301.
- Leslie WD, Rubin MR, Schwartz AV, Kanis JA. Type 2 diabetes and bone. J Bone Miner Res 2012; 27:2231.
- Cozen L. Does diabetes delay fracture healing? Clin Orthop Relat Res 1972; 82:134.
- Loder RT. The influence of diabetes mellitus on the healing of closed fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1988; :210.
- Keegan TH, Schwartz AV, Bauer DC, et al. Effect of alendronate on bone mineral density and biochemical markers of bone turnover in type 2 diabetic women: the fracture intervention trial. Diabetes Care 2004; 27:1547.
- Inoue D, Muraoka R, Okazaki R, et al. Efficacy and Safety of Risedronate in Osteoporosis Subjects with Comorbid Diabetes, Hypertension, and/or Dyslipidemia: A Post Hoc Analysis of Phase III Trials Conducted in Japan. Calcif Tissue Int 2016; 98:114.
- Vestergaard P, Rejnmark L, Mosekilde L. Are antiresorptive drugs effective against fractures in patients with diabetes? Calcif Tissue Int 2011; 88:209.
- Lunt H. Women and diabetes. Diabet Med 1996; 13:1009.
- Räkel A, Sheehy O, Rahme E, LeLorier J. Osteoporosis among patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Metab 2008; 34:193.