Bone disease after renal transplantation
- Sri G Yarlagadda, MD
Sri G Yarlagadda, MD
- Associate Professor
- University of Kansas Medical Center
- Thomas Nickolas, MD, MS
Thomas Nickolas, MD, MS
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Training Program Directory, Nephrology
- Columbia University Medical Center, Department of Medicine, Nephrology
- L Darryl Quarles, MD
L Darryl Quarles, MD
- Section Editor — Renal Osteodystrophy
- Director, Division of Nephrology
- Associate Dean for Research
- The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
The major bone diseases that affect renal transplant recipients are osteoporosis and osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis), both of which cause significant long-term morbidity [1,2].
Because of their longstanding history of chronic kidney disease (CKD), renal transplant recipients are also vulnerable to persistent hyperparathyroidism and the mineral and bone disease of chronic kidney disease (CKD-MBD). The evaluation and treatment of osteoporosis is made more complex because of CKD-MBD.
This topic reviews the monitoring, diagnosis, and treatment of osteoporosis and osteonecrosis among renal transplant recipients.
Persistent hyperparathyroidism and other disorders of mineral metabolism are discussed elsewhere. (See "Persistent hyperparathyroidism after renal transplantation".)
Other bone diseases that affect renal transplant patients, including dialysis-related amyloidosis and renal osteodystrophy associated with aluminum toxicity, are far less common and are discussed elsewhere. (See "Dialysis-related amyloidosis", section on 'Overview' and "Aluminum toxicity in chronic kidney disease".)
- Julian BA, Benfield M, Quarles LD. Bone loss after organ transplantation. Transplant Rev 1993; 7:82.
- Cunningham J. Posttransplantation bone disease. Transplantation 2005; 79:629.
- Rajapakse CS, Leonard MB, Bhagat YA, et al. Micro-MR imaging-based computational biomechanics demonstrates reduction in cortical and trabecular bone strength after renal transplantation. Radiology 2012; 262:912.
- Pichette V, Bonnardeaux A, Prudhomme L, et al. Long-term bone loss in kidney transplant recipients: a cross-sectional and longitudinal study. Am J Kidney Dis 1996; 28:105.
- Mikuls TR, Julian BA, Bartolucci A, Saag KG. Bone mineral density changes within six months of renal transplantation. Transplantation 2003; 75:49.
- Zisman AL, Sprague SM. Bone disease after kidney transplantation. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 2006; 13:35.
- Sprague SM, Josephson MA. Bone disease after kidney transplantation. Semin Nephrol 2004; 24:82.
- Casez JP, Lippuner K, Horber FF, et al. Changes in bone mineral density over 18 months following kidney transplantation: the respective roles of prednisone and parathyroid hormone. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2002; 17:1318.
- Julian BA, Laskow DA, Dubovsky J, et al. Rapid loss of vertebral mineral density after renal transplantation. N Engl J Med 1991; 325:544.
- Almond MK, Kwan JT, Evans K, Cunningham J. Loss of regional bone mineral density in the first 12 months following renal transplantation. Nephron 1994; 66:52.
- Iyer SP, Nikkel LE, Nishiyama KK, et al. Kidney transplantation with early corticosteroid withdrawal: paradoxical effects at the central and peripheral skeleton. J Am Soc Nephrol 2014; 25:1331.
- Nishiyama KK, Pauchard Y, Nikkel LE, et al. Longitudinal HR-pQCT and image registration detects endocortical bone loss in kidney transplantation patients. J Bone Miner Res 2015; 30:554.
- Nisbeth U, Lindh E, Ljunghall S, et al. Increased fracture rate in diabetes mellitus and females after renal transplantation. Transplantation 1999; 67:1218.
- Nikkel LE, Hollenbeak CS, Fox EJ, et al. Risk of fractures after renal transplantation in the United States. Transplantation 2009; 87:1846.
- Horber FF, Casez JP, Steiger U, et al. Changes in bone mass early after kidney transplantation. J Bone Miner Res 1994; 9:1.
- Ulivieri FM, Piodi LP, Aroldi A, Cesana BM. Effect of kidney transplantation on bone mass and body composition in males. Transplantation 2002; 73:612.
- Marcén R, Caballero C, Pascual J, et al. Lumbar bone mineral density in renal transplant patients on neoral and tacrolimus: a four-year prospective study. Transplantation 2006; 81:826.
- Cunningham J. Pathogenesis and prevention of bone loss in patients who have kidney disease and receive long-term immunosuppression. J Am Soc Nephrol 2007; 18:223.
- Perrin P, Caillard S, Javier RM, et al. Persistent hyperparathyroidism is a major risk factor for fractures in the five years after kidney transplantation. Am J Transplant 2013; 13:2653.
- EBPG Expert Group on Renal Transplantation. European best practice guidelines for renal transplantation. Section IV: Long-term management of the transplant recipient. IV.8. Bone disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2002; 17 Suppl 4:43.
- Monier-Faugere MC, Mawad H, Qi Q, et al. High prevalence of low bone turnover and occurrence of osteomalacia after kidney transplantation. J Am Soc Nephrol 2000; 11:1093.
- Lukert BP, Raisz LG. Glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: pathogenesis and management. Ann Intern Med 1990; 112:352.
- Movsowitz C, Epstein S, Fallon M, et al. Cyclosporin-A in vivo produces severe osteopenia in the rat: effect of dose and duration of administration. Endocrinology 1988; 123:2571.
- Cayco AV, Wysolmerski J, Simpson C, et al. Posttransplant bone disease: evidence for a high bone resorption state. Transplantation 2000; 70:1722.
- Cueto-Manzano AM, Konel S, Crowley V, et al. Bone histopathology and densitometry comparison between cyclosporine a monotherapy and prednisolone plus azathioprine dual immunosuppression in renal transplant patients. Transplantation 2003; 75:2053.
- Goffin E, Devogelaer JP, Lalaoui A, et al. Tacrolimus and low-dose steroid immunosuppression preserves bone mass after renal transplantation. Transpl Int 2002; 15:73.
- Monegal A, Navasa M, Guañabens N, et al. Bone mass and mineral metabolism in liver transplant patients treated with FK506 or cyclosporine A. Calcif Tissue Int 2001; 68:83.
- Akaberi S, Simonsen O, Lindergård B, Nyberg G. Can DXA predict fractures in renal transplant patients? Am J Transplant 2008; 8:2647.
- World Health Organization. Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Geneva 1994. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/WHO_TRS_843.pdf (Accessed on March 09, 2012).
- Heaf JG. Bone disease after renal transplantation. Transplantation 2003; 75:315.
- Cueto-Manzano AM, Konel S, Freemont AJ, et al. Effect of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 and calcium carbonate on bone loss associated with long-term renal transplantation. Am J Kidney Dis 2000; 35:227.
- De Sévaux RG, Hoitsma AJ, Corstens FH, Wetzels JF. Treatment with vitamin D and calcium reduces bone loss after renal transplantation: a randomized study. J Am Soc Nephrol 2002; 13:1608.
- Torres A, García S, Gómez A, et al. Treatment with intermittent calcitriol and calcium reduces bone loss after renal transplantation. Kidney Int 2004; 65:705.
- El-Agroudy AE, El-Husseini AA, El-Sayed M, Ghoneim MA. Preventing bone loss in renal transplant recipients with vitamin D. J Am Soc Nephrol 2003; 14:2975.
- Wissing KM, Broeders N, Moreno-Reyes R, et al. A controlled study of vitamin D3 to prevent bone loss in renal-transplant patients receiving low doses of steroids. Transplantation 2005; 79:108.
- Lippuner K, Haller B, Casez JP, et al. Effect of disodium monofluorophosphate, calcium and vitamin D supplementation on bone mineral density in patients chronically treated with glucocorticosteroids: a prospective, randomized, double-blind study. Miner Electrolyte Metab 1996; 22:207.
- Ponticelli C, Sala G. Vitamin D: a new player in kidney transplantation? Expert Rev Clin Immunol 2014; 10:1375.
- Smerud KT, Dolgos S, Olsen IC, et al. A 1-year randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of intravenous ibandronate on bone loss following renal transplantation. Am J Transplant 2012; 12:3316.
- Josephson MA, Schumm LP, Chiu MY, et al. Calcium and calcitriol prophylaxis attenuates posttransplant bone loss. Transplantation 2004; 78:1233.
- Fan SL, Almond MK, Ball E, et al. Pamidronate therapy as prevention of bone loss following renal transplantation. Kidney Int 2000; 57:684.
- Grotz WH, Rump LC, Niessen A, et al. Treatment of osteopenia and osteoporosis after kidney transplantation. Transplantation 1998; 66:1004.
- Grotz W, Nagel C, Poeschel D, et al. Effect of ibandronate on bone loss and renal function after kidney transplantation. J Am Soc Nephrol 2001; 12:1530.
- Haas M, Leko-Mohr Z, Roschger P, et al. Zoledronic acid to prevent bone loss in the first 6 months after renal transplantation. Kidney Int 2003; 63:1130.
- Fan SL, Kumar S, Cunningham J. Long-term effects on bone mineral density of pamidronate given at the time of renal transplantation. Kidney Int 2003; 63:2275.
- Cunningham J, Sprague SM, Cannata-Andia J, et al. Osteoporosis in chronic kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis 2004; 43:566.
- Cruz DN, Brickel HM, Wysolmerski JJ, et al. Treatment of osteoporosis and osteopenia in long-term renal transplant patients with alendronate. Am J Transplant 2002; 2:62.
- Mitterbauer C, Schwarz C, Haas M, Oberbauer R. Effects of bisphosphonates on bone loss in the first year after renal transplantation--a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006; 21:2275.
- Palmer SC, Strippoli GF, McGregor DO. Interventions for preventing bone disease in kidney transplant recipients: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Am J Kidney Dis 2005; 45:638.
- Versele EB, Van Laecke S, Dhondt AW, et al. Bisphosphonates for preventing bone disease in kidney transplant recipients: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Transpl Int 2016; 29:153.
- Palmer SC, McGregor DO, Strippoli GF. Interventions for preventing bone disease in kidney transplant recipients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007; :CD005015.
- El-Agroudy AE, El-Husseini AA, El-Sayed M, et al. A prospective randomized study for prevention of postrenal transplantation bone loss. Kidney Int 2005; 67:2039.
- Dennison E, Eastell R, Fall CH, et al. Determinants of bone loss in elderly men and women: a prospective population-based study. Osteoporos Int 1999; 10:384.
- Huang WH, Lee SY, Weng CH, Lai PC. Use of alendronate sodium (Fosamax) to ameliorate osteoporosis in renal transplant patients: a case-control study. PLoS One 2012; 7:e48481.
- Coco M, Pullman J, Cohen HW, et al. Effect of risedronate on bone in renal transplant recipients. J Am Soc Nephrol 2012; 23:1426.
- Coco M, Glicklich D, Faugere MC, et al. Prevention of bone loss in renal transplant recipients: a prospective, randomized trial of intravenous pamidronate. J Am Soc Nephrol 2003; 14:2669.
- Burke MT, Hollett PR, Gray NA. Atypical fractures associated with bisphosphonate use post-renal transplantation. Nephrology (Carlton) 2012; 17 Suppl 1:1.
- Weber TJ, Quarles LD. Preventing bone loss after renal transplantation with bisphosphonates: we can... but should we? Kidney Int 2000; 57:735.
- Bonani M, Frey D, Brockmann J, et al. Effect of Twice-Yearly Denosumab on Prevention of Bone Mineral Density Loss in De Novo Kidney Transplant Recipients: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Am J Transplant 2016; 16:1882.
- Babayev R, Nickolas TL. Bone Disorders in Chronic Kidney Disease: An Update in Diagnosis and Management. Semin Dial 2015; 28:645.
- Coen G, Ballanti P, Bonucci E, et al. Bone markers in the diagnosis of low turnover osteodystrophy in haemodialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1998; 13:2294.
- Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) CKD-MBD Work Group. KDIGO clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis, evaluation, prevention, and treatment of Chronic Kidney Disease-Mineral and Bone Disorder (CKD-MBD). Kidney Int Suppl 2009; :S1.
- Saag KG, Shane E, Boonen S, et al. Teriparatide or alendronate in glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:2028.
- Cejka D, Benesch T, Krestan C, et al. Effect of teriparatide on early bone loss after kidney transplantation. Am J Transplant 2008; 8:1864.
- Nehme D, Rondeau E, Paillard F, et al. Aseptic necrosis of bone following renal transplantation: relation with hyperparathyroidism. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1989; 4:123.
- Ibels LS, Alfrey AC, Huffer WE, Weil R 3rd. Aseptic necrosis of bone following renal transplantation: experience in 194 transplant recipients and review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 1978; 57:25.
- Metselaar HJ, van Steenberge EJ, Bijnen AB, et al. Incidence of osteonecrosis after renal transplantation. Acta Orthop Scand 1985; 56:413.
- Parfrey PS, Farge D, Parfrey NA, et al. The decreased incidence of aseptic necrosis in renal transplant recipients--a case control study. Transplantation 1986; 41:182.
- Abbott KC, Oglesby RJ, Agodoa LY. Hospitalized avascular necrosis after renal transplantation in the United States. Kidney Int 2002; 62:2250.
- Abbott KC, Koff J, Bohen EM, et al. Maintenance immunosuppression use and the associated risk of avascular necrosis after kidney transplantation in the United States. Transplantation 2005; 79:330.
- Tang S, Chan TM, Lui SL, et al. Risk factors for avascular bone necrosis after renal transplantation. Transplant Proc 2000; 32:1873.
- Goffin E, Vande Berg B, Devogelaer JP, et al. Post-renal transplant syndrome of transient lower limb joint pain: description under a tacrolimus-based immunosuppression. Clin Nephrol 2003; 59:98.
- Gauthier VJ, Barbosa LM. Bone pain in transplant recipients responsive to calcium channel blockers. Ann Intern Med 1994; 121:863.
- Goffin E. Transient bone marrow edema in renal transplantation: a distinct post-transplantation syndrome with a characteristic MRI appearance. Am J Transplant 2003; 3:96.
- Coates PT, Tie M, Russ GR, Mathew TH. Transient bone marrow edema in renal transplantation: a distinct post-transplantation syndrome with a characteristic MRI appearance. Am J Transplant 2002; 2:467.