Associated autoimmune diseases in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Lynne L Levitsky, MD
Lynne L Levitsky, MD
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
- Harvard Medical School
- Madhusmita Misra, MD, MPH
Madhusmita Misra, MD, MPH
- Fritz Bradley Talbot and Nathan Bill Talbot Professor of Pediatrics
- Harvard Medical School
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM), one of the most common chronic diseases in childhood, is caused by insulin deficiency resulting from the destruction of insulin-producing pancreatic beta cells. (See "Pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes mellitus".)
Children and adolescents with T1DM are at increased risk for developing other autoimmune diseases, most commonly autoimmune thyroiditis and celiac disease. These associated autoimmune diseases are presented here.
Other issues in this population are discussed separately:
- Levin L, Ban Y, Concepcion E, et al. Analysis of HLA genes in families with autoimmune diabetes and thyroiditis. Hum Immunol 2004; 65:640.
- Kordonouri O, Klinghammer A, Lang EB, et al. Thyroid autoimmunity in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: a multicenter survey. Diabetes Care 2002; 25:1346.
- Sumník Z, Drevínek P, Snajderová M, et al. HLA-DQ polymorphisms modify the risk of thyroid autoimmunity in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2003; 16:851.
- Kordonouri O, Hartmann R, Deiss D, et al. Natural course of autoimmune thyroiditis in type 1 diabetes: association with gender, age, diabetes duration, and puberty. Arch Dis Child 2005; 90:411.
- Roldán MB, Alonso M, Barrio R. Thyroid autoimmunity in children and adolescents with Type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Nutr Metab 1999; 12:27.
- Warncke K, Fröhlich-Reiterer EE, Thon A, et al. Polyendocrinopathy in children, adolescents, and young adults with type 1 diabetes: a multicenter analysis of 28,671 patients from the German/Austrian DPV-Wiss database. Diabetes Care 2010; 33:2010.
- Kordonouri O, Deiss D, Danne T, et al. Predictivity of thyroid autoantibodies for the development of thyroid disorders in children and adolescents with Type 1 diabetes. Diabet Med 2002; 19:518.
- Leong KS, Wallymahmed M, Wilding J, MacFarlane I. Clinical presentation of thyroid dysfunction and Addison's disease in young adults with type 1 diabetes. Postgrad Med J 1999; 75:467.
- Dost A, Rohrer TR, Fröhlich-Reiterer E, et al. Hyperthyroidism in 276 Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes from Germany and Austria. Horm Res Paediatr 2015; 84:190.
- Karavanaki K, Kakleas K, Paschali E, et al. Screening for associated autoimmunity in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM). Horm Res 2009; 71:201.
- Bonifacio E, Mayr A, Knopff A, Ziegler AG. Endocrine autoimmunity in families with type 1 diabetes: frequent appearance of thyroid autoimmunity during late childhood and adolescence. Diabetologia 2009; 52:185.
- Kordonouri O, Charpentier N, Hartmann R. GADA positivity at onset of type 1 diabetes is a risk factor for the development of autoimmune thyroiditis. Pediatr Diabetes 2011; 12:31.
- Katahira M, Maeda H, Tosaki T, Segawa S. The human leukocyte antigen class II gene has different contributions to autoimmune type 1 diabetes with or without autoimmune thyroid disease in the Japanese population. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2009; 85:293.
- Flesch BK, Matheis N, Alt T, et al. HLA class II haplotypes differentiate between the adult autoimmune polyglandular syndrome types II and III. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2014; 99:E177.
- Mohn A, Di Michele S, Di Luzio R, et al. The effect of subclinical hypothyroidism on metabolic control in children and adolescents with Type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diabet Med 2002; 19:70.
- Chase HP, Garg SK, Cockerham RS, et al. Thyroid hormone replacement and growth of children with subclinical hypothyroidism and diabetes. Diabet Med 1990; 7:299.
- American Diabetes Association. 11. Children and Adolescents. Diabetes Care 2016; 39 Suppl 1:S86.
- Joseph J, Saroha V, Payne H, et al. Thyroid function at diagnosis of type I diabetes. Arch Dis Child 2011; 96:777.
- Gilani BB, MacGillivray MH, Voorhess ML, et al. Thyroid hormone abnormalities at diagnosis of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in children. J Pediatr 1984; 105:218.
- Aktay AN, Lee PC, Kumar V, et al. The prevalence and clinical characteristics of celiac disease in juvenile diabetes in Wisconsin. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2001; 33:462.
- Crone J, Rami B, Huber WD, et al. Prevalence of celiac disease and follow-up of EMA in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2003; 37:67.
- Al-Ashwal AA, Shabib SM, Sakati NA, Attia NA. Prevalence and characteristics of celiac disease in type I diabetes mellitus in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J 2003; 24:1113.
- Pham-Short A, Donaghue KC, Ambler G, et al. Screening for Celiac Disease in Type 1 Diabetes: A Systematic Review. Pediatrics 2015; 136:e170.
- Bybrant MC, Örtqvist E, Lantz S, Grahnquist L. High prevalence of celiac disease in Swedish children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes and the relation to the Swedish epidemic of celiac disease: a cohort study. Scand J Gastroenterol 2014; 49:52.
- Simre K, Uibo O, Peet A, et al. Exploring the risk factors for differences in the cumulative incidence of coeliac disease in two neighboring countries: the prospective DIABIMMUNE study. Dig Liver Dis 2016; 48:1296.
- Cerutti F, Bruno G, Chiarelli F, et al. Younger age at onset and sex predict celiac disease in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: an Italian multicenter study. Diabetes Care 2004; 27:1294.
- Fröhlich-Reiterer EE, Hofer S, Kaspers S, et al. Screening frequency for celiac disease and autoimmune thyroiditis in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus--data from a German/Austrian multicentre survey. Pediatr Diabetes 2008; 9:546.
- Fröhlich-Reiterer EE, Kaspers S, Hofer S, et al. Anthropometry, metabolic control, and follow-up in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus and biopsy-proven celiac disease. J Pediatr 2011; 158:589.
- Smyth DJ, Plagnol V, Walker NM, et al. Shared and distinct genetic variants in type 1 diabetes and celiac disease. N Engl J Med 2008; 359:2767.
- Lernmark Å. Environmental factors in the etiology of type 1 diabetes, celiac disease, and narcolepsy. Pediatr Diabetes 2016; 17 Suppl 22:65.
- Verkasalo M, Kuitunen P, Leisti S, Perheentupa J. Growth failure from symptomless celiac disease. A study of 14 patients. Helv Paediatr Acta 1978; 33:489.
- Ashkenazi, A. Occult celiac disease: a common cause of short stature. Growth, Genetics and Hormones 1989; 5:1.
- Freemark M, Levitsky LL. Screening for celiac disease in children with type 1 diabetes: two views of the controversy. Diabetes Care 2003; 26:1932.
- Iafusco D, Rea F, Prisco F. Hypoglycemia and reduction of the insulin requirement as a sign of celiac disease in children with IDDM. Diabetes Care 1998; 21:1379.
- Mohn A, Cerruto M, Iafusco D, et al. Celiac disease in children and adolescents with type I diabetes: importance of hypoglycemia. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2001; 32:37.
- Simmons KM, McFann K, Taki I, et al. Reduced Bone Mineral Density Is Associated with Celiac Disease Autoimmunity in Children with Type 1 Diabetes. J Pediatr 2016; 169:44.
- Salardi S, Maltoni G, Zucchini S, et al. Celiac Disease Negatively Influences Lipid Profiles in Young Children With Type 1 Diabetes: Effect of the Gluten-Free Diet. Diabetes Care 2016; 39:e119.
- Silverstein J, Klingensmith G, Copeland K, et al. Care of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: a statement of the American Diabetes Association. Diabetes Care 2005; 28:186.
- Abid N, McGlone O, Cardwell C, et al. Clinical and metabolic effects of gluten free diet in children with type 1 diabetes and coeliac disease. Pediatr Diabetes 2011; 12:322.
- Sud S, Marcon M, Assor E, et al. Quality of life in children with diabetes and celiac disease: minimal impact of the 'double diagnosis'. Pediatr Diabetes 2012; 13:163.
- Peterson P, Salmi H, Hyöty H, et al. Steroid 21-hydroxylase autoantibodies in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Childhood Diabetes in Finland (DiMe) Study Group. Clin Immunol Immunopathol 1997; 82:37.
- Verbsky JW, Chatila TA. Immune dysregulation, polyendocrinopathy, enteropathy, X-linked (IPEX) and IPEX-related disorders: an evolving web of heritable autoimmune diseases. Curr Opin Pediatr 2013; 25:708.