Anorexia nervosa in adults and adolescents: The refeeding syndrome
- Philip Mehler, MD
Philip Mehler, MD
- Medical Director, ACUTE, Denver Health
- Chief Medical Officer, Eating Recovery Center
- Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado
Weight gain is the cornerstone of treatment for patients with anorexia nervosa . However, serious and potentially fatal complications can arise when refeeding patients with anorexia nervosa.
Patients other than those with anorexia nervosa are at risk for the refeeding syndrome . These include oncology patients undergoing chemotherapy, malnourished elderly patients, certain postoperative patients, and homeless or alcoholic patients who have not eaten for many days.
The refeeding syndrome in anorexia nervosa and its management are reviewed here. The evaluation for medical complications and criteria for hospitalizing patients with anorexia nervosa; medical complications of anorexia nervosa and their management; epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical features, treatment, and outcome of anorexia nervosa; and the medical complications of bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder are discussed separately.
- Eating Disorders: Core Interventions in the Treatment of and Management of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa and Related Eating Disorders. National Institute for Clinical Excellence, Clinical Guideline 9. http://guidance.nice.org.uk (Accessed on December 22, 2010).
- Crook MA, Hally V, Panteli JV. The importance of the refeeding syndrome. Nutrition 2001; 17:632.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), American Psychiatric Association, Arlington, VA 2013.
- Mehanna HM, Moledina J, Travis J. Refeeding syndrome: what it is, and how to prevent and treat it. BMJ 2008; 336:1495.
- Mehler PS, Birmingham LC, Crow SJ, Jahraus JP. Medical complications of eating disorders. In: The Treatment of Eating Disorders: A Clinical Handbook, Grilo CM, Mitchell JE (Eds), The Guilford Press, New York 2010. p.66.
- Fuentebella J, Kerner JA. Refeeding syndrome. Pediatr Clin North Am 2009; 56:1201.
- Bermudez O, Beightol S. What is refeeding syndrome? Eat Disord 2004; 12:251.
- Mehler PS, Winkelman AB, Andersen DM, Gaudiani JL. Nutritional rehabilitation: practical guidelines for refeeding the anorectic patient. J Nutr Metab 2010; 2010.
- Boateng AA, Sriram K, Meguid MM, Crook M. Refeeding syndrome: treatment considerations based on collective analysis of literature case reports. Nutrition 2010; 26:156.
- Khan LU, Ahmed J, Khan S, Macfie J. Refeeding syndrome: a literature review. Gastroenterol Res Pract 2011; 2011.
- Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine. Refeeding hypophosphatemia in hospitalized adolescents with anorexia nervosa: a position statement of the Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine. J Adolesc Health 2014; 55:455.
- O'Connor G, Nicholls D. Refeeding hypophosphatemia in adolescents with anorexia nervosa: a systematic review. Nutr Clin Pract 2013; 28:358.
- Nutrition Support for Adults: Oral Nutrition Support, Enteral Tube Feeding and Parenteral Nutrition. CG32, 2006 http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG32 (Accessed on November 10, 2010).
- Awazu M, Matsuoka S, Kamimaki T, et al. Absent circadian variation of blood pressure in patients with anorexia nervosa. J Pediatr 2000; 136:524.
- Miller KK, Grinspoon SK, Ciampa J, et al. Medical findings in outpatients with anorexia nervosa. Arch Intern Med 2005; 165:561.
- Narayanan V, Gaudiani JL, Harris RH, Mehler PS. Liver function test abnormalities in anorexia nervosa--cause or effect. Int J Eat Disord 2010; 43:378.
- Patel AS, Matthews L, Bruce-Jones W. Central pontine myelinolysis as a complication of refeeding syndrome in a patient with anorexia nervosa. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 2008; 20:371.
- Chu ES, Gaudiani JL, Mascolo M, et al. ACUTE center for eating disorders. J Hosp Med 2012; 7:340.
- Garber AK, Mauldin K, Michihata N, et al. Higher calorie diets increase rate of weight gain and shorten hospital stay in hospitalized adolescents with anorexia nervosa. J Adolesc Health 2013; 53:579.