Adefovir dipivoxil in the treatment of chronic hepatitis B virus infection
- Anna SF Lok, MD
Anna SF Lok, MD
- Professor of Medicine
- University of Michigan Medical School
Adefovir dipivoxil (Hepsera) is a nucleotide analog of adenosine monophosphate, which can inhibit reverse transcriptase and DNA polymerase activity [1,2]. Adefovir has been evaluated as primary monotherapy for patients with chronic hepatitis B and in patients who developed resistance to lamivudine. It was approved by the FDA based upon the results of two phase 3 clinical trials in patients with HBeAg positive and HBeAg negative chronic hepatitis B and a compassionate use protocol for patients with decompensated cirrhosis or recurrent hepatitis B post-transplantation and lamivudine resistance. Several other studies evaluating adefovir in other populations have also been performed.
This topic review will discuss the treatment of chronic hepatitis B with adefovir. A general approach to patients with hepatitis B (including other treatment options) is presented separately. (See "Hepatitis B virus: Overview of management".)
HBeAg POSITIVE CHRONIC HEPATITIS B
The efficacy of adefovir in HBeAg positive patients has been demonstrated in at least two large, placebo controlled trials [3,4]. The largest trial included 515 patients with compensated liver disease who were randomly assigned to two doses of adefovir (10 or 30 mg) or placebo . The study was open to treatment naive patients as well as those who had failed interferon. The following benefits were observed compared with placebo in the 10 mg group (the approved dose) after 48 weeks of treatment; all results were statistically significant:
●Histologic improvement, defined as decrease in Knodell histologic inflammatory score by at least two points with no worsening in fibrosis (53 versus 25 percent)
●Improvement in fibrosis based on ranked assessment (41 versus 24 percent)
- Gilson RJ, Chopra KB, Newell AM, et al. A placebo-controlled phase I/II study of adefovir dipivoxil in patients with chronic hepatitis B virus infection. J Viral Hepat 1999; 6:387.
- Tsiang M, Rooney JF, Toole JJ, Gibbs CS. Biphasic clearance kinetics of hepatitis B virus from patients during adefovir dipivoxil therapy. Hepatology 1999; 29:1863.
- Marcellin P, Chang TT, Lim SG, et al. Adefovir dipivoxil for the treatment of hepatitis B e antigen-positive chronic hepatitis B. N Engl J Med 2003; 348:808.
- Zeng M, Mao Y, Yao G, et al. A double-blind randomized trial of adefovir dipivoxil in Chinese subjects with HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B. Hepatology 2006; 44:108.
- Marcellin P, Chang TT, Lim SG, et al. Long-term efficacy and safety of adefovir dipivoxil for the treatment of hepatitis B e antigen-positive chronic hepatitis B. Hepatology 2008; 48:750.
- Wu IC, Shiffman ML, Tong MJ, et al. Sustained hepatitis B e antigen seroconversion in patients with chronic hepatitis B after adefovir dipivoxil treatment: analysis of precore and basal core promoter mutants. Clin Infect Dis 2008; 47:1305.
- Hadziyannis SJ, Tassopoulos NC, Heathcote EJ, et al. Adefovir dipivoxil for the treatment of hepatitis B e antigen-negative chronic hepatitis B. N Engl J Med 2003; 348:800.
- Hadziyannis SJ, Tassopoulos NC, Heathcote EJ, et al. Long-term therapy with adefovir dipivoxil for HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B. N Engl J Med 2005; 352:2673.
- Hadziyannis SJ, Tassopoulos NC, Heathcote EJ, et al. Long-term therapy with adefovir dipivoxil for HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B for up to 5 years. Gastroenterology 2006; 131:1743.
- Lampertico P, Viganò M, Manenti E, et al. Low resistance to adefovir combined with lamivudine: a 3-year study of 145 lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B patients. Gastroenterology 2007; 133:1445.
- Hadziyannis SJ, Sevastianos V, Rapti I, et al. Sustained responses and loss of HBsAg in HBeAg-negative patients with chronic hepatitis B who stop long-term treatment with adefovir. Gastroenterology 2012; 143:629.
- Shiffman M, Marcellin P, Jeffers L, et al. HBsAg seroconversion in adefovir dipivoxil treated chronic hepatitis B patients (abstract). J Hepatol 2004; 40(Suppl 1):17.
- Xiong X, Flores C, Yang H, et al. Mutations in hepatitis B DNA polymerase associated with resistance to lamivudine do not confer resistance to adefovir in vitro. Hepatology 1998; 28:1669.
- Perrillo R, Schiff E, Yoshida E, et al. Adefovir dipivoxil for the treatment of lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B mutants. Hepatology 2000; 32:129.
- Benhamou Y, Bochet M, Thibault V, et al. Safety and efficacy of adefovir dipivoxil in patients co-infected with HIV-1 and lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B virus: an open-label pilot study. Lancet 2001; 358:718.
- Peters MG, Hann Hw Hw, Martin P, et al. Adefovir dipivoxil alone or in combination with lamivudine in patients with lamivudine-resistant chronic hepatitis B. Gastroenterology 2004; 126:91.
- Perrillo R, Hann HW, Mutimer D, et al. Adefovir dipivoxil added to ongoing lamivudine in chronic hepatitis B with YMDD mutant hepatitis B virus. Gastroenterology 2004; 126:81.
- Fung SK, Chae HB, Fontana RJ, et al. Virologic response and resistance to adefovir in patients with chronic hepatitis B. J Hepatol 2006; 44:283.
- Lok AS, Han SH, Chung R, et al. Virological response and resistance to adefovir (ADV) therapy in liver transplant (OLT) patients (abstract). Hepatology 2005; 42(Suppl 1):232A.
- Schiff E, Lai CL, Hadziyannis S, et al. Adefovir dipivoxil for wait-listed and post-liver transplantation patients with lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B: final long-term results. Liver Transpl 2007; 13:349.
- Rapti I, Dimou E, Mitsoula P, Hadziyannis SJ. Adding-on versus switching-to adefovir therapy in lamivudine-resistant HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B. Hepatology 2007; 45:307.
- Schiff ER, Lai CL, Hadziyannis S, et al. Adefovir dipivoxil therapy for lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B in pre- and post-liver transplantation patients. Hepatology 2003; 38:1419.
- Snow A, Thibault V, Qi X, et al. Combination of adefovir dipivoxil and lamivudine prevented emergence of adefovir resistance mutations in chronic hepatitis B patients with lamivudine-resistant HBV (abstract). Gastroenterology 2005; (Suppl).
- Lampertico P, Marzano A, Levrero M, et al. A multicenter Italian study of rescue adefovir dipivoxil therapy in lamivudine resistant patients: a 20 year analysis of 650 patients (abstract). J Hepatol 2006; 44 (Suppl 2):S51.
- Lampertico P, Marzano A, Levrero M, et al. Adefovir and lamivudine combination therapy is superior to adefovir monotherapy for lamivudine-resistant patients with HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B (abstract). Hepatology 2006; 44 (Suppl 1):693A.
- Lampertico P, Vigano M, Menenti E, et al. 3 years of adefovir and lamivudine combination therapy minimizes the risk of genotypic resistance to adv and lam resistant patients (abstract). J Hepatol 2007; 46 (Suppl 1):S27.
- Lampertico P, Marzano A, Levrero M, et al. Adefovir and lamivudine combination therapy is superior to adefovir monotherapy for lamivudine-resistant patients with HB2A-negative chronic hepatitis B (abstract). J Hepatol 2007; 46 (Suppl 1):S2191.
- Kim SB, Kim SU, Kim BK, et al. Outcome of adefovir add-on lamivudine rescue therapy of up to 5 years in patients with lamivudine-resistant chronic hepatitis B. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016; 31:241.
- Benhamou Y, Thibault V, Vig P, et al. Safety and efficacy of adefovir dipivoxil in patients infected with lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B and HIV-1. J Hepatol 2006; 44:62.
- Ha NB, Ha NB, Garcia RT, et al. Renal dysfunction in chronic hepatitis B patients treated with adefovir dipivoxil. Hepatology 2009; 50:727.
- Gara N, Zhao X, Collins MT, et al. Renal tubular dysfunction during long-term adefovir or tenofovir therapy in chronic hepatitis B. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2012; 35:1317.
- Yang H, Westland CE, Delaney WE 4th, et al. Resistance surveillance in chronic hepatitis B patients treated with adefovir dipivoxil for up to 60 weeks. Hepatology 2002; 36:464.
- Westland CE, Yang H, Delaney WE 4th, et al. Week 48 resistance surveillance in two phase 3 clinical studies of adefovir dipivoxil for chronic hepatitis B. Hepatology 2003; 38:96.
- Angus P, Vaughan R, Xiong S, et al. Resistance to adefovir dipivoxil therapy associated with the selection of a novel mutation in the HBV polymerase. Gastroenterology 2003; 125:292.
- Villeneuve JP, Durantel D, Durantel S, et al. Selection of a hepatitis B virus strain resistant to adefovir in a liver transplantation patient. J Hepatol 2003; 39:1085.
- Lacombe K, Ollivet A, Gozlan J, et al. A novel hepatitis B virus mutation with resistance to adefovir but not to tenofovir in an HIV-hepatitis B virus-co-infected patient. AIDS 2006; 20:2229.
- Borroto-Esoda K, Miller MD, Arterburn S. Pooled analysis of amino acid changes in the HBV polymerase in patients from four major adefovir dipivoxil clinical trials. J Hepatol 2007; 47:492.
- Warner N, Locarnini S. The antiviral drug selected hepatitis B virus rtA181T/sW172* mutant has a dominant negative secretion defect and alters the typical profile of viral rebound. Hepatology 2008; 48:88.
- Schildgen O, Sirma H, Funk A, et al. Variant of hepatitis B virus with primary resistance to adefovir. N Engl J Med 2006; 354:1807.
- Curtis M, Zhu Y, Borroto-Esoda K, et al. HBV RTI233V polymerase variant remains sensitive to adefovir (abstract). J Hepatol 2007; 46 (Suppl 1):S26.
- Locarnini S, Qi X, Arterburn S, et al. Incidence and predictors of emergence of adefovir resistant HBV during four years of adefovir dipivoxil therapy for patients with chronic hepatitis B (abstract). J Hepatol 2005; 42 (Suppl 2):17A.
- Lee YS, Suh DJ, Lim YS, et al. Increased risk of adefovir resistance in patients with lamivudine-resistant chronic hepatitis B after 48 weeks of adefovir dipivoxil monotherapy. Hepatology 2006; 43:1385.
- Lampertico P, Viganò M, Manenti E, et al. Adefovir rapidly suppresses hepatitis B in HBeAg-negative patients developing genotypic resistance to lamivudine. Hepatology 2005; 42:1414.
- Fung SK, Andreone P, Han SH, et al. Adefovir-resistant hepatitis B can be associated with viral rebound and hepatic decompensation. J Hepatol 2005; 43:937.
- Carrouée-Durantel S, Durantel D, Werle-Lapostolle B, et al. Suboptimal response to adefovir dipivoxil therapy for chronic hepatitis B in nucleoside-naive patients is not due to pre-existing drug-resistant mutants. Antivir Ther 2008; 13:381.
- Hézode C, Chevaliez S, Bouvier-Alias M, et al. Efficacy and safety of adefovir dipivoxil 20 mg daily in HBeAg-positive patients with lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B virus and a suboptimal virological response to adefovir dipivoxil 10 mg daily. J Hepatol 2007; 46:791.
- Gaia S, Barbon V, Smedile A, et al. Lamivudine-resistant chronic hepatitis B: an observational study on adefovir in monotherapy or in combination with lamivudine. J Hepatol 2008; 48:540.
- HBeAg POSITIVE CHRONIC HEPATITIS B
- Durability of HBeAg seroconversion
- HBeAg NEGATIVE CHRONIC HEPATITIS B
- Adefovir monotherapy
- HBsAg LOSS
- PATIENTS WITH LAMIVUDINE RESISTANCE
- Liver transplantation and decompensated liver disease
- Compensated liver disease
- HIV coinfection
- DEVELOPMENT OF RESISTANCE
- Effect of lamivudine cotherapy
- Susceptibility of adefovir-resistant HBV to other agents
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS