Acute mastoiditis in children: Treatment and prevention
- Ellen R Wald, MD
Ellen R Wald, MD
- Professor of Pediatrics
- University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- Section Editors
- Sheldon L Kaplan, MD
Sheldon L Kaplan, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Pediatrics
- Section Editor — Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Professor and Vice Chairman for Clinical Affairs
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Anna H Messner, MD
Anna H Messner, MD
- Section Editor — Pediatric Otolaryngology
- Professor of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery and Pediatrics
- Stanford University
The treatment and prevention of acute mastoiditis in children are discussed below. The clinical features and diagnosis of acute mastoiditis are discussed separately. (See "Acute mastoiditis in children: Clinical features and diagnosis".)
AOM is also discussed separately. (See "Acute otitis media in children: Epidemiology, microbiology, clinical manifestations, and complications" and "Acute otitis media in children: Diagnosis" and "Acute otitis media in children: Treatment".)
●Mastoiditis is a suppurative infection of the mastoid air cells.
●Acute mastoiditis is a suppurative infection of the mastoid air cells with symptoms of less than one month's duration. Acute mastoiditis is subdivided according to the pathologic stage (see "Acute mastoiditis in children: Clinical features and diagnosis", section on 'Pathogenesis') :
- Bluestone CD, Klein JO. Intratemporal complications and sequelae of otitis media. In: Pediatric otolaryngology, 4th ed, Bluestone CD, Casselbrant ML, Stool SE, et al (Eds), Saunders, Philadelphia 2003. p.687.
- Bahadori RS, Schwartz RH, Ziai M. Acute mastoiditis in children: an increase in frequency in Northern Virginia. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2000; 19:212.
- Geva A, Oestreicher-Kedem Y, Fishman G, et al. Conservative management of acute mastoiditis in children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2008; 72:629.
- Pang LH, Barakate MS, Havas TE. Mastoiditis in a paediatric population: a review of 11 years experience in management. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2009; 73:1520.
- Holt GR, Gates GA. Masked mastoiditis. Laryngoscope 1983; 93:1034.
- Cherry JD, Calzada AP, Shapiro NL. Mastoiditis. In: Feigin and Cherry’s Textbook of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, 7th, Cherry JD, Harrison GJ, Kaplan SL, et al. (Eds), Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia 2014. p.233.
- Halgrimson WR, Chan KH, Abzug MJ, et al. Incidence of acute mastoiditis in Colorado children in the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine era. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2014; 33:453.
- Tamir SO, Roth Y, Dalal I, et al. Acute mastoiditis in the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine era. Clin Vaccine Immunol 2014; 21:1189.
- Luntz M, Brodsky A, Nusem S, et al. Acute mastoiditis--the antibiotic era: a multicenter study. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2001; 57:1.
- Nussinovitch M, Yoeli R, Elishkevitz K, Varsano I. Acute mastoiditis in children: epidemiologic, clinical, microbiologic, and therapeutic aspects over past years. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2004; 43:261.
- Lin HW, Shargorodsky J, Gopen Q. Clinical strategies for the management of acute mastoiditis in the pediatric population. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2010; 49:110.
- Goldstein NA, Casselbrant ML, Bluestone CD, Kurs-Lasky M. Intratemporal complications of acute otitis media in infants and children. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1998; 119:444.
- Tamir S, Schwartz Y, Peleg U, et al. Acute mastoiditis in children: is computed tomography always necessary? Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2009; 118:565.
- Spratley J, Silveira H, Alvarez I, Pais-Clemente M. Acute mastoiditis in children: review of the current status. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2000; 56:33.
- Cohen-Kerem R, Uri N, Rennert H, et al. Acute mastoiditis in children: is surgical treatment necessary? J Laryngol Otol 1999; 113:1081.
- Kvestad E, Kvaerner KJ, Mair IW. Acute mastoiditis: predictors for surgery. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2000; 52:149.
- Bakhos D, Trijolet JP, Morinière S, et al. Conservative management of acute mastoiditis in children. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2011; 137:346.
- Davison SP, Facer GW, McGough PF, et al. Use of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance angiography in diagnosis of sigmoid sinus thrombosis. Ear Nose Throat J 1997; 76:436.
- Anderson KJ. Mastoiditis. Pediatr Rev 2009; 30:233.
- Niv A, Nash M, Peiser J, et al. Outpatient management of acute mastoiditis with periosteitis in children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 1998; 46:9.
- Taylor MF, Berkowitz RG. Indications for mastoidectomy in acute mastoiditis in children. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2004; 113:69.
- Lahav J, Handzel O, Gertler R, et al. Postauricular needle aspiration of subperiosteal abscess in acute mastoiditis. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2005; 114:323.
- Marchisio P, Bianchini S, Villani A, et al. Diagnosis and management of acute mastoiditis in a cohort of Italian children. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2014; 12:1541.
- Groth A, Enoksson F, Hultcrantz M, et al. Acute mastoiditis in children aged 0-16 years--a national study of 678 cases in Sweden comparing different age groups. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 76:1494.
- Gorphe P, de Barros A, Choussy O, et al. Acute mastoiditis in children: 10 years experience in a French tertiary university referral center. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 269:455.
- Psarommatis IM, Voudouris C, Douros K, et al. Algorithmic management of pediatric acute mastoiditis. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 76:791.
- Zanetti D, Nassif N. Indications for surgery in acute mastoiditis and their complications in children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2006; 70:1175.
- Thompson PL, Gilbert RE, Long PF, et al. Effect of antibiotics for otitis media on mastoiditis in children: a retrospective cohort study using the United kingdom general practice research database. Pediatrics 2009; 123:424.
- van den Aardweg MT, Rovers MM, de Ru JA, et al. A systematic review of diagnostic criteria for acute mastoiditis in children. Otol Neurotol 2008; 29:751.
- Mustafa A, Debry Ch, Wiorowski M, et al. Treatment of acute mastoiditis: report of 31 cases over a ten year period. Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord) 2004; 125:165.