Acute complications during hemodialysis
- Jean L Holley, MD, FACP
Jean L Holley, MD, FACP
- Clinical Professor of Medicine
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Acute complications commonly occur during routine hemodialysis treatments. They include the following :
●Hypotension – 25 to 55 percent of treatments
●Cramps – 5 to 20 percent
●Nausea and vomiting – 5 to 15 percent
●Headache – 5 percent
- Bregman H, Daugirdas JT, Ing TS. Complications during hemodialysis. In: Handbook of Dialysis, Dauugirdas JT, Ing TS (Eds), Little, Brown, New York 1994. p.149.
- Dumler F, Stalla K, Mohini R, et al. Clinical experience with short-time hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 1992; 19:49.
- Skroeder NR, Jacobson SH, Lins LE, Kjellstrand CM. Biocompatibility of dialysis membranes is of no importance for objective or subjective symptoms during or after hemodialysis. ASAIO Trans 1990; 36:M637.
- Collins DM, Lambert MB, Tannenbaum JS, et al. Tolerance of hemodialysis: a randomized prospective trial of high-flux versus conventional high-efficiency hemodialysis. J Am Soc Nephrol 1993; 4:148.
- Skroeder NR, Jacobson SH, Lins LE, Kjellstrand CM. Acute symptoms during and between hemodialysis: the relative role of speed, duration, and biocompatibility of dialysis. Artif Organs 1994; 18:880.
- Sav MY, Sav T, Senocak E, Sav NM. Hemodialysis-related headache. Hemodial Int 2014; 18:725.
- Milinkovic M, Zidverc-Trajkovic J, Sternic N, et al. Hemodialysis headache. Clin Nephrol 2009; 71:158.
- van Brussel MS, Koppius PW, Schut NH. Headache during hemodialysis - an uncommon cause for a common problem. Clin Nephrol 2008; 69:219.
- Barrett BJ, Vavasour HM, Major A, Parfrey PS. Clinical and psychological correlates of somatic symptoms in patients on dialysis. Nephron 1990; 55:10.
- Guntupalli K, Soffer O, Baciewicz P. Pulmonary embolism in end stage renal disease. Intensive Care Med 1990; 16:405.
- Hombrouckx R, D'Halluin F, Bogaert AM, et al. Fibrin sheet covering subclavian or femoral dialysis catheters. Artif Organs 1994; 18:322.
- Saha M, Allon M. Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention of Hemodialysis Emergencies. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2017; 12:357.
- Sweet SJ, McCarthy S, Steingart R, Callahan T. Hemolytic reactions mechanically induced by kinked hemodialysis lines. Am J Kidney Dis 1996; 27:262.
- Duffy R, Tomashek K, Spangenberg M, et al. Multistate outbreak of hemolysis in hemodialysis patients traced to faulty blood tubing sets. Kidney Int 2000; 57:1668.
- Francos GC, Burke JF Jr, Besarab A, et al. An unsuspected cause of acute hemolysis during hemodialysis. Trans Am Soc Artif Intern Organs 1983; 29:140.
- Aqeel A, Kissner PZ, Sondheimer JH. Air embolism in hemodialysis: An old problem revisited (abstract). J Am Soc Nephrol 1998; 9:165A.
- Wander GS, Sandha GS, Chhabra SC, et al. Holter monitoring in chronic renal failure before & during dialysis. J Assoc Physicians India 1994; 42:290.
- De Lima JJ, Lopes HF, Grupi CJ, et al. Blood pressure influences the occurrence of complex ventricular arrhythmia in hemodialysis patients. Hypertension 1995; 26:1200.
- Saragoça MA, Canziani ME, Cassiolato JL, et al. Left ventricular hypertrophy as a risk factor for arrhythmias in hemodialysis patients. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 1991; 17 Suppl 2:S136.
- Multicentre, cross-sectional study of ventricular arrhythmias in chronically haemodialysed patients. Gruppo Emodialisi e Patologie Cardiovasculari. Lancet 1988; 2:305.
- Munger MA, Ateshkadi A, Cheung AK, et al. Cardiopulmonary events during hemodialysis: effects of dialysis membranes and dialysate buffers. Am J Kidney Dis 2000; 36:130.
- Voroneanu L, Covic A. Arrhythmias in hemodialysis patients. J Nephrol 2009; 22:716.
- Shapira OM, Bar-Khayim Y. ECG changes and cardiac arrhythmias in chronic renal failure patients on hemodialysis. J Electrocardiol 1992; 25:273.
- Verde E, Pérez de Prado A, López-Gómez JM, et al. Asymptomatic Intradialytic Supraventricular Arrhythmias and Adverse Outcomes in Patients on Hemodialysis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2016; 11:2210.
- Morris ST, Galiatsou E, Stewart GA, et al. QT dispersion before and after hemodialysis. J Am Soc Nephrol 1999; 10:160.
- de Lima JJ, Vieira ML, Lopes HF, et al. Blood pressure and the risk of complex arrhythmia in renal insufficiency, hemodialysis, and renal transplant patients. Am J Hypertens 1999; 12:204.
- Narula AS, Jha V, Bali HK, et al. Cardiac arrhythmias and silent myocardial ischemia during hemodialysis. Ren Fail 2000; 22:355.
- Fabbian F, Catalano C, Lambertini D, et al. Clinical characteristics associated to atrial fibrillation in chronic hemodialysis patients. Clin Nephrol 2000; 54:234.
- Karnik JA, Young BS, Lew NL, et al. Cardiac arrest and sudden death in dialysis units. Kidney Int 2001; 60:350.
- Kitano Y, Kasuga H, Watanabe M, et al. Severe coronary stenosis is an important factor for induction and lengthy persistence of ventricular arrhythmias during and after hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 2004; 44:328.
- Jassal SV, Coulshed SJ, Douglas JF, Stout RW. Autonomic neuropathy predisposing to arrhythmias in hemodialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis 1997; 30:219.
- Shurmur SW, D'Elia JA, Gleason RE, et al. Cardiac conduction defects associated with aortic and mitral valve calcification in dialysis patients. Ren Fail 1990; 12:103.
- Locatelli F, Covic A, Chazot C, et al. Optimal composition of the dialysate, with emphasis on its influence on blood pressure. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2004; 19:785.
- Buemi M, Coppolino G, Bolignano D, et al. Arrhythmias and hemodialysis: role of potassium and new diagnostic tools. Ren Fail 2009; 31:75.
- Hou S, McElroy PA, Nootens J, Beach M. Safety and efficacy of low-potassium dialysate. Am J Kidney Dis 1989; 13:137.
- Rombolà G, Colussi G, De Ferrari ME, et al. Cardiac arrhythmias and electrolyte changes during haemodialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1992; 7:318.
- Redaelli B, Locatelli F, Limido D, et al. Effect of a new model of hemodialysis potassium removal on the control of ventricular arrhythmias. Kidney Int 1996; 50:609.
- Abuelo JG. Low dialysate potassium concentration: an overrated risk factor for cardiac arrhythmia? Semin Dial 2015; 28:266.
- Buiten MS, de Bie MK, Rotmans JI, et al. The dialysis procedure as a trigger for atrial fibrillation: new insights in the development of atrial fibrillation in dialysis patients. Heart 2014; 100:685.
- Weiner DE, Nicholls AJ, Sarnak MJ. Cardiovascular disease. In: Handbook of Dialysis, Daugirdas JT, Blake PG, Ing TS (Eds), Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia 2007. p.626.
- Kapa S, Qian Q. 84-year-old woman with hemodialysis-associated shortness of breath. Mayo Clin Proc 2009; 84:187.
- Grebenyuk LA, Marcus RJ, Nahum E, et al. Pulmonary embolism following successful thrombectomy of an arteriovenous dialysis fistula. J Vasc Access 2009; 10:59.