Acne keloidalis nuchae
- Julian M Mackay-Wiggan, MD, MS
Julian M Mackay-Wiggan, MD, MS
- Associate Professor of Dermatology
- Columbia University Medical Center
- Sameera Husain, MD
Sameera Husain, MD
- Associate Professor of Dermatology in Pathology
- Columbia University Medical Center
Acne keloidalis nuchae (AKN) is a common chronic disorder involving inflammation and scarring of the hair follicles with subsequent development of keloid-like papules and plaques and scarring alopecia. The characteristic site of involvement is the posterior scalp and neck. Infrequently, other areas of the scalp are affected.
AKN typically occurs in males of African ancestry, but also occasionally develops in females and in non-African ethnic groups. AKN may be pruritic, painful, or cosmetically disfiguring, contributing to negative effects on quality of life.
The clinical features, diagnosis, and management of AKN will be reviewed here. Other hair and scalp disorders are reviewed separately. (See "Evaluation and diagnosis of hair loss".)
Although the term "acne keloidalis nuchae" is commonly used, there are other historical and contemporary descriptors for AKN. Historical terms for this condition include "sycosis framboesiformis" and "dermatitis papillaris capillitii" [1,2]. Contemporary alternative names for AKN include "folliculitis keloidalis" , "folliculitis nuchae" , and "folliculitis keloidalis nuchae" . In addition, because of the occasional extension to other areas of the scalp, some authors eliminate "nuchae" from AKN and refer to the disorder as "acne keloidalis."
Multiple authors have suggested that the name "acne keloidalis nuchae" is a misnomer, since the lesions are neither pathologically acne nor keloids . In contrast to true acne, comedones are never present in AKN . The scar-like lesions, though they resemble keloids, do not typically recur following excision like keloids often do , and patients typically do not have keloids elsewhere.
- Kaposi M. Über die sogenannte Framboesia und mehrere andere Arten von papillaren neubildungel der Haut. Arch Dermatol Syphilol 1869; 1:382.
- Adamson HG. Dermatitis papillaris capillittii (Kaposi). Acne keloid. Br J Dermatol 1914; 26:69.
- Esmat SM, Abdel Hay RM, Abu Zeid OM, Hosni HN. The efficacy of laser-assisted hair removal in the treatment of acne keloidalis nuchae; a pilot study. Eur J Dermatol 2012; 22:645.
- Quarles FN, Brody H, Badreshia S, et al. Acne keloidalis nuchae. Dermatol Ther 2007; 20:128.
- Alexis A, Heath CR, Halder RM. Folliculitis keloidalis nuchae and pseudofolliculitis barbae: are prevention and effective treatment within reach? Dermatol Clin 2014; 32:183.
- Ross EK, Shapiro J. Primary Cicatricial Alopecia. In: Hair growth and disorders, Blume-Peytavi U, Whiting DA, Trüb RM (Eds), Springer, Berlin 2008. p.187.
- McMichael A, Guzman Sanchez D, Kelly P. Folliculitis & the Follicular Occlusion Tetrad. In: Dermatology, 2nd ed, Bolognia JL, Jorizzo JL, Rapini RP, et al. (Eds), Elsevier Mosby, St. Louis 2008. p.517.
- Beckett N, Lawson C, Cohen G. Electrosurgical excision of acne keloidalis nuchae with secondary intention healing. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol 2011; 4:36.
- Knable AL Jr, Hanke CW, Gonin R. Prevalence of acne keloidalis nuchae in football players. J Am Acad Dermatol 1997; 37:570.
- Salami T, Omeife H, Samuel S. Prevalence of acne keloidalis nuchae in Nigerians. Int J Dermatol 2007; 46:482.
- Glenn MJ, Bennett RG, Kelly AP. Acne keloidalis nuchae: treatment with excision and second-intention healing. J Am Acad Dermatol 1995; 33:243.
- Dunwell P, Rose A. Study of the skin disease spectrum occurring in an Afro-Caribbean population. Int J Dermatol 2003; 42:287.
- George AO, Akanji AO, Nduka EU, et al. Clinical, biochemical and morphologic features of acne keloidalis in a black population. Int J Dermatol 1993; 32:714.
- Adegbidi H, Atadokpede F, do Ango-Padonou F, Yedomon H. Keloid acne of the neck: epidemiological studies over 10 years. Int J Dermatol 2005; 44 Suppl 1:49.
- Ogunbiyi A, George A. Acne keloidalis in females: case report and review of literature. J Natl Med Assoc 2005; 97:736.
- Dinehart SM, Tanner L, Mallory SB, Herzberg AJ. Acne keloidalis in women. Cutis 1989; 44:250.
- Kelly AP. Pseudofolliculitis barbae and acne keloidalis nuchae. Dermatol Clin 2003; 21:645.
- Khumalo NP, Jessop S, Gumedze F, Ehrlich R. Hairdressing and the prevalence of scalp disease in African adults. Br J Dermatol 2007; 157:981.
- Kundu RV, Patterson S. Dermatologic conditions in skin of color: part II. Disorders occurring predominately in skin of color. Am Fam Physician 2013; 87:859.
- Dinehart SM, Herzberg AJ, Kerns BJ, Pollack SV. Acne keloidalis: a review. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1989; 15:642.
- Smith JD, Odom RB. Pseudofolliculitis capitis. Arch Dermatol 1977; 113:328.
- Kenney JA Jr. Dermatoses: common in blacks. Postgrad Med 1977; 61:122.
- Halder RM. Hair and scalp disorders in blacks. Cutis 1983; 32:378.
- Basler RS. Acne mechanica in athletes. Cutis 1992; 50:125.
- Cosman B, Wolff M. Acne keloidalis. Plast Reconstr Surg 1972; 50:25.
- Herzberg AJ, Dinehart SM, Kerns BJ, Pollack SV. Acne keloidalis. Transverse microscopy, immunohistochemistry, and electron microscopy. Am J Dermatopathol 1990; 12:109.
- Sperling LC, Homoky C, Pratt L, Sau P. Acne keloidalis is a form of primary scarring alopecia. Arch Dermatol 2000; 136:479.
- Ferguson RA, Yu H, Kalyvas M, et al. Ultrasensitive detection of prostate-specific antigen by a time-resolved immunofluorometric assay and the Immulite immunochemiluminescent third-generation assay: potential applications in prostate and breast cancers. Clin Chem 1996; 42:675.
- Azurdia RM, Graham RM, Weismann K, et al. Acne keloidalis in caucasian patients on cyclosporin following organ transplantation. Br J Dermatol 2000; 143:465.
- Carnero L, Silvestre JF, Guijarro J, et al. Nuchal acne keloidalis associated with cyclosporin. Br J Dermatol 2001; 144:429.
- Piaserico S, Fortina AB, Cavallini F, Alaibac M. Acne keloidalis of the scalp in a renal transplant patient treated with cyclosporine. Acta Derm Venereol 2009; 89:312.
- Pirmez R, Price VH, Cuzzi T, Trope BM. Acne keloidalis nuchae in renal transplant patients receiving tacrolimus and sirolimus. Australas J Dermatol 2016; 57:156.
- Ross EK, Tan E, Shapiro J. Update on primary cicatricial alopecias. J Am Acad Dermatol 2005; 53:1.
- Goh MS, Magee J, Chong AH. Keratosis follicularis spinulosa decalvans and acne keloidalis nuchae. Australas J Dermatol 2005; 46:257.
- Janjua SA, Iftikhar N, Pastar Z, Hosler GA. Keratosis follicularis spinulosa decalvans associated with acne keloidalis nuchae and tufted hair folliculitis. Am J Clin Dermatol 2008; 9:137.
- McMichael A, Curtis AR, Guzman-Sanchez D, Kelly AP. Folliculitis and other follicular disorders. In: Dermatology, 3rd ed, Bolognia JL, Jorizzo JL, Schaffer JV (Eds), Elsevier, Philadelphia; London 2012. Vol 1, p.571.
- Vasily DB, Breen PC, Miller OF 3rd. Acne keloidalis nuchae: report and treatment of a severe case. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1979; 5:228.
- Hodak E, Feinmesser M, Segal T, et al. Follicular cutaneous T-cell lymphoma: a clinicopathological study of nine cases. Br J Dermatol 1999; 141:315.
- Battistella M, Beylot-Barry M, Bachelez H, et al. Primary cutaneous follicular helper T-cell lymphoma: a new subtype of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma reported in a series of 5 cases. Arch Dermatol 2012; 148:832.
- Maranda EL, Simmons BJ, Nguyen AH, et al. Treatment of Acne Keloidalis Nuchae: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb) 2016; 6:363.
- Shapero J, Shapero H. Acne keloidalis nuchae is scar and keloid formation secondary to mechanically induced folliculitis. J Cutan Med Surg 2011; 15:238.
- Callender VD, Young CM, Haverstock CL, et al. An open label study of clobetasol propionate 0.05% and betamethasone valerate 0.12% foams in the treatment of mild to moderate acne keloidalis. Cutis 2005; 75:317.
- Gregoriou S, Kritsotaki E, Katoulis A, Rigopoulos D. Use of tazarotene foam for the treatment of acne vulgaris. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol 2014; 7:165.
- Eichenfield LF, Krakowski AC, Piggott C, et al. Evidence-based recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of pediatric acne. Pediatrics 2013; 131 Suppl 3:S163.
- Dragoni F, Bassi A, Cannarozzo G, et al. Successful treatment of acne keloidalis nuchae resistant to conventional therapy with 1064-nm ND:YAG laser. G Ital Dermatol Venereol 2013; 148:231.
- Shah GK. Efficacy of diode laser for treating acne keloidalis nuchae. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2005; 71:31.
- Stieler W, Senff H, Jänner M. [Folliculitis nuchae scleroticans--successful treatment with 13-cis-retinoic acid (isotretinoin)]. Hautarzt 1988; 39:739.
- Gloster HM Jr. The surgical management of extensive cases of acne keloidalis nuchae. Arch Dermatol 2000; 136:1376.
- Kantor GR, Ratz JL, Wheeland RG. Treatment of acne keloidalis nuchae with carbon dioxide laser. J Am Acad Dermatol 1986; 14:263.
- Bajaj V, Langtry JA. Surgical excision of acne keloidalis nuchae with secondary intention healing. Clin Exp Dermatol 2008; 33:53.
- Monstrey S, Middelkoop E, Vranckx JJ, et al. Updated scar management practical guidelines: non-invasive and invasive measures. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2014; 67:1017.
- Okoye GA, Rainer BM, Leung SG, et al. Improving acne keloidalis nuchae with targeted ultraviolet B treatment: a prospective, randomized, split-scalp comparison study. Br J Dermatol 2014; 171:1156.
- Millán-Cayetano JF, Repiso-Jiménez JB, Del Boz J, de Troya-Martín M. Refractory acne keloidalis nuchae treated with radiotherapy. Australas J Dermatol 2015.
- CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS
- CLINICAL COURSE
- DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS
- Approach to treatment
- Avoidance of exacerbating factors
- Treatment of inflammation
- - Mild to moderate inflammation
- Topical corticosteroids
- Adjunctive therapies
- - Topical antibacterial agents
- - Topical retinoids
- - Moderate to severe inflammation
- Oral antibiotics
- Intralesional corticosteroids
- - Refractory inflammation
- Laser hair removal
- Oral isotretinoin
- Treatment of keloidal scarring
- - Papules and small plaques
- Intralesional corticosteroids
- - Larger plaques
- Emerging therapy
- - Ultraviolet light
- - Radiotherapy
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS